Jumping, help

I'm in my first year of racing had my first race this weekend, I've been ridin since I was 4 but live in a area where everywhere is flat land an never really jumped, when I go to practices I jump almost everything but I've wiped out a few times, as soon as I get in the air I freeze up and unconsciously I let off the gas on the face of the jump right before I take off, I know it's mostly from fear and not having enough confidence but I was wondering if some people could tell me what their technique is so I can try new stuff, talked to a guy at the races and he said confidence is key, and that jumping is the easiest part if u don't have confidence u won't be doing anything.. Made it worse when in my first race ever before the first lap was done someone landed on me because I didn't take the jump and he did, thought I had a broken arm but I was good, scary moment only got one lap in :( raced moto 2 though !

First off, welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, when you look at jumping from the riders perspective, there are three main aspects: Body position, Throttle control and Speed.

The key is to attack jumps, on the throttle going up the ramp, being neutral on the bike, using your legs to pinch the frame for stabilizing and then controlling the pitch and yaw in the air via your body. When you attack a jump on the throttle, the bike will preload both the front and rear suspension properly and that will give you a nice clean even flight.

If you practice on smaller table tops, where the consequences are lower, it won't take you too long to feel comfortable in the air. Confidence is important, but its very hard to build confidence unless you understand the three aspects above. Experimenting with smaller jumps, over-jumping, under jumping and understanding what hitting a face does on or off the throttle, will teach you the basics. Once you're comfortable being in the air over small stuff, its a lot easier to hit bigger jumps, the speed is faster, the air time is longer and body position plays a bigger role. However, its all about getting the basic fundamentals down first and then moving to bigger and better things.

First you need Ohlins suspension.

correct body position and throttle control is key. Once you got that down packed, just jump little singles or table tops and keep jumping them over and over again, pretty soon you'll build enough confidence do hit the bigger jumps

one thing i learned is that you just have to get over the fear and do it

First off, welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, when you look at jumping from the riders perspective, there are three main aspects: Body position, Throttle control and Speed.

Thanks a lot , I've moved around on the bike a lot to feel the difference on takeoff it's just the throttle control and speed, ill be working on it until I master it!

correct body position and throttle control is key. Once you got that down packed, just jump little singles or table tops and keep jumping them over and over again, pretty soon you'll build enough confidence do hit the bigger jumps

one thing i learned is that you just have to get over the fear and do it

Ya I think I'm trying to pressure myself to be fast even though I'm not comfortable yet thanks man

The most important part of the jump is where the bike actually leaves the ground, where you have the compression and rebound part of the jump. What gives you control at this critical part of the jump is your body movements and throttle control. Along with this body movement and throttle control is timing. The timing is so critical that the body movement and throttle control has to be an automatic reflex reaction. This is why it takes so much time and practice to learn to jump well. Key into the compressing and rebound part of the jump, move your body back a little as the rear wheel kicks up and blip the throttle a little at the same time. This will cause the front wheel to stay level or come up a little. If the front wheel is too high don’t move back as much or give it as much throttle. If you want the front end lower it’s just the opposite; don’t blip the throttle as much and don’t move back as much. When you want to accelerate after the landing it’s best to land with the throttle on. I have 3 Technique DVDs that cover Jumping and Whoops. You can see free Motocross Technique DVD previews of these and many others at: www.gsmxs.com

Anderay, welcome to the forum. Now do yourself a big favor and ignore whatever Tye has to say. He has marginally more experience than you and most of what he spews he stole from someone else. Follow the info from Gary Semics or any of the other guys on here who have been on a dirt bike longer than a year and a half like Tye. He's happy to see you here because you haven't yet figured out he's full of crap like everyone else has.

I'm in my first year of racing had my first race this weekend, I've been ridin since I was 4 but live in a area where everywhere is flat land an never really jumped, when I go to practices I jump almost everything but I've wiped out a few times, as soon as I get in the air I freeze up and unconsciously I let off the gas on the face of the jump right before I take off, I know it's mostly from fear and not having enough confidence but I was wondering if some people could tell me what their technique is so I can try new stuff, talked to a guy at the races and he said confidence is key, and that jumping is the easiest part if u don't have confidence u won't be doing anything.. Made it worse when in my first race ever before the first lap was done someone landed on me because I didn't take the jump and he did, thought I had a broken arm but I was good, scary moment only got one lap in :( raced moto 2 though !

There are tons of variables for jumping. Listen to what Gary Seimics and Wes5 said. If you are nervous about nose diving, smack the throttle off the take off. Don't hold the throttle open during the air unless you are nose diving. If you nose dive, hold 'er wide open. If you go nose high, best thing to do is pull in your clutch. That'll drop your front end slowly. If you need it down in a hurry, pull clutch and tap back brakes, but thats an advanced technique.

Ps It won't take you long to realize Tye is a full of crap guy who preys on new guys. He is full of himself, and Lies 24/7 to cover his past Lies. Don't take advice from him about something you really need to know.

The most important part

Thanks a lot Gary ! I'm gonna be practicing a few times this week before my next race and will focus on the stuff u said!, it's too bad there's no where to ride that close to my house, but thanks a lot !

There are tons of variables for jumping. Listen to what Gary Seimics and Wes5 said. If you are nervous about nose diving, smack the throttle off the take off. Don't hold the throttle open during the air unless you are nose diving. If you nose dive, hold 'er wide open. If you go nose high, best thing to do is pull in your clutch. That'll drop your front end slowly. If you need it down in a hurry, pull clutch and tap back brakes, but thats an advanced technique.

Ps It won't take you long to realize Tye is a full of crap guy who preys on new guys. He is full of himself, and Lies 24/7 to cover his past Lies. Don't take advice from him about something you really need to know.

Aha thanks for the help, everyone's hating on this tye guy ! Hahah