Just picked up a 2013 for Enduro's and Hare Scrambles.

Well after all the advice on here I traded in my WR450 for a RMZ 250. I race enduro's and hare scrambles here in Michigan. I've been riding for 28 years but finally started racing last summer. I ended up a faster C rider by the end of the year. I already started converting the bike over. Here's a list of what I'm going to do:

Cycra handguards

Trail Tech Vector

Devol radiator guards

Engine Ice

Rekluse EXP 2.0

Steel rear sprocket, maybe 50t

o-ring chain

brake snake

skid plate

I need a couple mods for riding with my son. He runs the family enduro and is 10yrs old so it's slow going. I'm going to wire in two brushless computer fans I bought at radio shack. I ran them on my YZ450 and they worked great.

I'm also going to run a kickstand and I'm going to try a trail tech. They make one for a 450 but not a 250. I believe it will still work though and I'll post my findings.

I rode briefly and was impressed with the handling and suspension. Coming off my WR it felt stiff but backing down the compression it felt like it may be ok for my slow riding speed. I weigh 220 but will be down to 210 in a few weeks once I get my butt back in shape. I'll likely still revalve at some point but was much happier than I expected with it stock. Power was also better than I imagined. You definately have to keep the revs up and run it like a 125 but once you do it will be more than enough for the tight woods.

Here's a pic from when I got it home. I'll repost once it's off road worthy, looks like this week we're finally going to lose our white stuff!

1003494f.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Where in Michigan are you? Congrats on the new bike!

I'm in Gaylord, about an hour south of the bridge.

Nice bike!

The 2007~2009 trailtech sidestand didn't fit my 2012 without a slight mod. I'm not sure if the 2013 had many frame changes from the 2012.

Search my posts and there are a few pix of the stand modded. I sent some images to Trailtech to show them what we did. I can post some more in detail if you like.

On my fans I sprayed circuit board lacquer inside them to 'ip55' them. I wash my bike after every ride and give the fans a good blast. No issues.

Edited by Kiwizuki

You're up there a good ways. I'm in Pickney, about half an hour north west of Ann Arbor.

have you found a bigger tank for the efi rmz? i was thinking of getting one for cross country but cant seem to find an aftermarket tank yet...

Doesn't sound like one exists. The enduro's I raced had gas available stops within 30 miles so it shouldn't be a problem. Worse case scenerio I'll buy one of the hideous number plate gas tanks acerbis makes. It's supposed to empty first and I probably wouldn't fill it all the way up either to save on the weight up front. Good thing I suppose is with the SFF forks I could add a few spins of preload to help with the extra weight I guess.

hey upnorth...CONGRATS!! I only have an hour on mine here in MN at a local sandpit so far, but should be getting 2 GOOD moto practices in this coming weekend, one at Millville. I race HS and some enduros and our season starts in less than 2 weeks!!

I wired up three fans today which was total overkill but needed for following my son in his enduro's. I still haven't been able to get out and ride much but will be riding in the rain the next two days. I've read a few places to back the choke knob out 34 clicks and it starts right up cold. Once warm it will start in gear with the hotstart button on the first kick every time. It does need a good boot though and I always find TDC before kicking. In my earlier post asking about the 12v hookup lead I'm going to post instructions for my fans if anyone is interested.

IMG_8891.JPGHere is a pic of my rig set up for enduro's/moto

So far I have the following modifications...

Renthal 50 tooth rear sprocket

Rekluse EXP Clutch

RM250 Air Cage (no backfire screen)

Yoshimura RS 4 Exhaust

Scotts Damper

Acerbis Skid Plate

Some Bling

ARC adjustable brake and clutch levers

-5CC of oil in the forks

Stock springs front and rear

Hand Guards

So far I love it!

suzuki.jpg

Edited by Dratharr

How big was the difference after you removed the fork oil? Maybe I'll try the same. Also I like your username, we have a drahtaar and he's a great dog!

you are turning the high idle out 34 clicks from full in?? how many clicks is it stock?? Thanks.

IMG_8891.JPGHere is a pic of my rig set up for enduro's/moto

So far I have the following modifications...

Renthal 50 tooth rear sprocket

Rekluse EXP Clutch

RM250 Air Cage (no backfire screen)

Yoshimura RS 4 Exhaust

Scotts Damper

Acerbis Skid Plate

Some Bling

ARC adjustable brake and clutch levers

-5CC of oil in the forks

Stock springs front and rear

Hand Guards

So far I love it!

suzuki.jpg

Could you tell me your thoughts on the Acerbis Skid Plate? on fit/finish/durable? I'm looking at that one or the Devol.

Did you notice much differance with the 50 tooth sproket? do you think a 51 may be better?

I have a problem with mine when smoking through tight woods doing technicle turns. It handles the tight turns well, but I sometime stall. I don't have the $$ right now for a Rekluse EXP Clutch. Any hints on what to do to help with stalling? Would turning up the idle help? anything else? I luv the bike, but is geared to high bone stock I feel. Thanks

I have a problem with mine when smoking through tight woods doing technicle turns. It handles the tight turns well, but I sometime stall. I don't have the $$ right now for a Rekluse EXP Clutch. Any hints on what to do to help with stalling? Would turning up the idle help? anything else? I luv the bike, but is geared to high bone stock I feel. Thanks

Use the clutch?....

haha..I figured someone would say that. I'm using it, but when I'm coming in fast in hairpin turn with rear brake locked and clucthing coming out is where I'm having issue. I'm almost coming to dead stop & trying to snap bike around a tree or what have u and sometimes stall there. I prob need to work more on techinque, but this bike is so good it wants to run in fast and attempt this challenge.

Maybe I just need to be more reasonable and figure there is a limit< but I feel my GG200 could do the same thing and not stall under same conditions (but again...my GG might not be coming in as hot as the RMZ can)

Could you tell me your thoughts on the Acerbis Skid Plate? on fit/finish/durable? I'm looking at that one or the Devol.

Did you notice much differance with the 50 tooth sproket? do you think a 51 may be better?

I'm not able to comment on the Acerbis and apologies if I am butting in, but thought it may be useful to share my experience. I use a '09 model B&B alloy bash plate on the 2012, simply because I had one loafing and thanks to a very talented mate, with a little modification to the rear clamp it works great. This same mate also adapted the trailtech stand to fit.

With the rekluse EXP fitted I've kept the final ratio standard, 12:49, and have no problems with low speed throttle snaps around trees and over roots and logs. The rekluse may be your best bet.

bashplate.jpgbashplate_sidestand.jpgbashplate1.jpgdr_phil.jpg

How big was the difference after you removed the fork oil? Maybe I'll try the same. Also I like your username, we have a drahtaar and he's a great dog!

It made a pretty big difference, there is a section on our track that has a series of successive braking bumps on a long straight going into a sweeping sand corner. I am in fourth gear pinned on that section and I felt the bike was a little harsh on the braking bumps, removing the fork oil seemed to soften it a bit. I might even try taking 5 more out and see how it goes. The suspension on this bike is the best I have ever had on a bike hands down. They are great dogs, mine is kind of a pain in the sometimes but he definitely amuses me!

The Acerbis skid plate is ok, it is not as heavy duty as a factory KTM, or a Hyde product, but it mounts up really slick, only uses the two stock front bolts. I havent tested it in rocks yet, our practice track just has log piles, and some tractor tires, and it has handled those just fine.

You might try bumping up the idle a bit, I have mine up pretty high, as it keeps some engine braking active when off the gas with the Rekluse. I think the 50T sprocket helped a bunch as well. I also went to the rich coupler I think I have a bit more bottom end with it in.

fyi i pulled my Cycra off the 12'kxf250 prior to selling and it mounted right up to my 13'RMZ!! :ride:

Reference the choke knob, I think stock was like 26 or something. I backed out 34 clicks and from top dead center with the hotstart it will start in gear 90% of the time once it's warm. I finally got to ride over my days off and I'm shocked how good this bike is! It has more power than I expected if you keep the revs up and the suspension was fantastic in the woods for an MX bike. I backed the compression 4 clicks out from stock on the fork and shock and rebound out 2 from stock on both as well. I got no deflection off roots and rocks and never felt like I was bottoming on bigger hits. I didn't get arm pump like I did on my 450's and I was riding the same pace already. This is honestly the best bike I've owned, I can't believe I didn't go to a 250f earlier. I did have a WR250f for a season but this bike is in another league! I'm racing with my son this weekend for his family enduro. I'll post some pics. I also put on a trail tech kickstand that was for a 450 and it worked great. I did have to grind a small portion of the footpeg and had to stretch the kickstand spring slightly longer but it works perfect. I'll post up a DIY for anyone who's interested. I also got my devol rad guards and put them on. They are kinda cheapy compared to my works connection cages I've used in the past. The screws for the bracketry did not have nuts and just threaded into the aluminum, not really the best method I'll likely put some nuts on the back at some point. The holes on the bracketry didn't line up exactly but it still went together ok. The good part is I didn't have to drain my radiators and slide a bracket in behind like the cages. It literally took about 15 minutes to put them both on. I did have to trim the inside plastic on the radiator shrouds which is fairly common with any brace. I'll try and get some pics up of my setup.