Funny rant about aftermarket pipes, bring the beer!

I never bought into the aftermarket exhaust (FMF and PC) for the 05 and up one two fives and two fifty's. They tested their pipes 7 or 8 years ago to put a somewhat mass produced pipe on the market, but Yamaha left little on the table for increases in HP. Sure their pipes might move the powerband up or down but produce little if no real HP gains. I mean it's not like they have gone back in the last 7-10 years and tried to improve their design. It just kills me when every used Yammie has an FMF or PC pipe listed as their NUMBER ONE selling point. It's like, okay I took 10 minutes to bolt on this pipe ( because the stocker was crushed ) and now my bike is golden. OH sure I never greased the linkage, AND forget about the swingarm pivot, or the steering head bearings, but hey " look at this shiny pipe ". Sorry for my rant but members on this forum KNOW what I am saying is true.

You're supposed to use grease ? All I have is chrome polish ????

Why did you copy your reply from the other thread word for word and start a new thread with it?

I never bought into the aftermarket exhaust (FMF and PC) for the 05 and up one two fives and two fifty's. They tested their pipes 7 or 8 years ago to put a somewhat mass produced pipe on the market, but Yamaha left little on the table for increases in HP. Sure their pipes might move the powerband up or down but produce little if no real HP gains. I mean it's not like they have gone back in the last 7-10 years and tried to improve their design. It just kills me when every used Yammie has an FMF or PC pipe listed as their NUMBER ONE selling point. It's like, okay I took 10 minutes to bolt on this pipe ( because the stocker was crushed ) and now my bike is golden. OH sure I never greased the linkage, AND forget about the swingarm pivot, or the steering head bearings, but hey " look at this shiny pipe ". Sorry for my rant but members on this forum KNOW what I am saying is true.

I agree 100%, in fact, I was just thinking the other day about aftermarket pipes that I have purchased in the past for various bikes, both 2 and 4 strokes. VERY few have been an improvement over stock.

They can make huge gains on 4 strokes (drz400 and mrd/ssw) but for the 2 strokes your right. Seems you may get 2hp somewhere on the curve but for the most part it just moves the power around (mainly talking about '06+ yz250).

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan

VERY few have been an improvement over stock.

From all the reading I have done on here, it seems that most pipes for the YZ just move the power around to different points. However, on different machines, they can make a huge difference. The Toomeys on my Banshee for example, are a night and day difference in comparison to the stock units. :thumbsup:

I bought my 250, it came with 2 gnarlys, one banged up more than the other. Seemed to get weak on top, with little over rev. After reading all the "stock pipes rock" threads here, got a stock pipe and it felt stronger and much smoother transitioning from low to high. Almost like it was made for the bike. Hmmm..

It is pretty pretty rare to have something stock that is as good or better then what aftermarket has to offer.

On a side note all of the dyno and testing i've seen were on a '06 yz250. The last few years have a longer stock muffler (by like 3") then 2010 or before. Maybe a new silencer would help out a 2013 more then a 2006.

I get where you are coming from, but its just one more thing to help tailor the bike to personal preference. alot of the time when a pipe gets trashed, its hard not to buy an aftermarket one on a new oem one. I do a admit, I like pipes, 2 and 4 for the bling factor.

Aftermarket pipes offer an easy way to replace a smashed up stocker pipe and I find in general they are made of stronger materials. Us enduro racers appreciate a pipe that is tucked up high and can take more abuse like a gnarly or even a fatty pipe. But, without a doubt the stocker is the best all around performer and I really wish someone would build an enduro version of that pipe.....I pancaked mine within a couple of months. :(

Edited by primerib108

I get a kick out of people with brand new 450s who spend 5-1500 on their titanium carbon magnesium capped exhausts. Especially the beginners. I have an exhaust on my 250f im 200 pounds which is far from ideal on a poor little 250f, b class MX, and yzs are known to come with the most restrictive exhuasts that year. The exhaust really opened it up. I also got a stainless/aluminum pipe as id rather keep the additional 500 dollars then pretend lighter more delicate materials are going to make me corner like Dungey.

Edited by yz133rider

I always liked the Gnarly for offroad where you're a little lower in the powerband, and not going to have the energy to clutch it out of every corner. That combined with the Rekluse and the 300 kit I can pull 450's out of pretty much any corner if I'm in the right gear.