Leaking Bolt XL6

What would you do to fix this leak? It appears to be leaking from the bolt hole, brand new Honda gasket installed. My thought is to use a copper washer. It was leaking from there before the gasket install.

004.JPG

Edited by kmequint

Should be an easy fix provided theres no cracks in the case. I would lean the bike over, remove the bolt clean the threads on the bolt and the hole with carb or parts cleaner, dry with compressed air and use a thread sealer on the bolt. Clean is key, also dont use too much sealer on the bolt or you may hydrolock the threads. Good luck DAVE.

Isn't that bolt on the outside of the gasket?

I thought about the thread sealer. However, it would have to originate from the mating surface and exiting through the bolt hole. Thanks for any and all input.

2011-10-23 (2).JPG

Edited by kmequint

If the mating surfaces for the gasket are good is it possible that the bolt hole is deep enough to seek oil on the other side ? Maybe a pinhole is all it takes. used to run into that with auto transmissions,water pumps ect. I think a good sealer would fix ya up just fine. Clean well and check it with a light and magnafying glass.If you take the bolt out does oil drip out the threads ?

good luck dave

Another fix? No offence but that bike has been kicking your ass. I'm not in much of a better boat myself. I redid the top end on mine 2 years ago from which it's since blown a headgasket and is currently apart again in my same mate's garage. After the engine was removed I took the swingarm and forks out to repaint them as well. Then as it sat there my friend looks at it's mostly stripped carcass and makes the comment "The XL in it's natural state."

Another fix? No offence but that bike has been kicking your ass. I'm not in much of a better boat myself. I redid the top end on mine 2 years ago from which it's since blown a headgasket and is currently apart again in my same mate's garage. After the engine was removed I took the swingarm and forks out to repaint them as well. Then as it sat there my friend looks at it's mostly stripped carcass and makes the comment "The XL in it's natural state."

LOL

Hey, if it wasn't for this bike I would have a very boring life and lots of money. The thing that irritates me the most is that for three days I had no issues with it, then this happens. Its like yea then ohhh. It's all the up and downs. But, life goes on. It's not leaking a lot just enough to make a nickel size spot on the ground.

I still have the 250 to ride though.

Edited by kmequint

Did you check the other bolts around it? maybe they are loose & oil running down to lowest point. ( the bolt now dripping)

Bork, Yes I did. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tonight I removed the bolt and put a brass washer on it along with Hondabond HT. It doesn't leak until the engine is good and hot. Here are a couple more images of the affected area.

001.JPG002.JPG007.JPG015.JPG

Edited by kmequint

Excellent pics! The gasket should be keeping the oil from bolt, but not critical here. & just put a bunch of some kind of sealant, (not too much goop, or the bolt will hydraulic & maybe strip threads) or you will have to remove cover & find the thing that is keeping cover from seating all the way down around that bolt.

Excellent pics! The gasket should be keeping the oil from bolt, but not critical here. & just put a bunch of some kind of sealant, (not too much goop, or the bolt will hydraulic & maybe strip threads) or you will have to remove cover & find the thing that is keeping cover from seating all the way down around that bolt.

Thanks, I have not rode it since my last attempt to correct the leak. I am a fair weather rider, been to cold and wet. Hopefully, I'll get a chance this weekend.