First impressions O7 450 exc

Finally got out in the woods on the 07 450 exc. On the street - not very good. The previous owner put a 13 front sprocket on so it is not well suited for the street but that is not what I bought it for. That is what my Harley is for. I love the fact that I can drive from my house to the trails without loading , unloading and then repeat.

In the woods - After riding an XR400 for many years all I can say is this is a different animal and will take some getting used to. On my Xr I could almost come to a complete stop without using the clutch on the exc it will stall but on the bright side it has electric start. The power is slightly more but hits alot harder and faster. Throttle is very touchy. At this point If the XR had electric start and could be plated I would prefer it over the exc but I believe that is just because I'm not used to this bike and I was very comfortable on that one. I think over time I will become more at ease and used to this bike and I will grow to love it. Just going to take some seat time. Guy

Definitely a different bike than an XR, like you said... Seat time! Have you considered a Rekluse? That would give you that crawl to almost a stop and not have to worry about stalling out. I don't use one but there are many guys here that swear by them.

Definitely a different bike than an XR, like you said... Seat time! Have you considered a Rekluse? That would give you that crawl to almost a stop and not have to worry about stalling out. I don't use one but there are many guys here that swear by them.

I am considering a Rekluse. I have spent enough money for the time being but I can see one in my future, Thanks, Guy

Finally got out in the woods on the 07 450 exc. On the street - not very good. The previous owner put a 13 front sprocket on so it is not well suited for the street but that is not what I bought it for. That is what my Harley is for. I love the fact that I can drive from my house to the trails without loading , unloading and then repeat.

In the woods - After riding an XR400 for many years all I can say is this is a different animal and will take some getting used to. On my Xr I could almost come to a complete stop without using the clutch on the exc it will stall but on the bright side it has electric start. The power is slightly more but hits alot harder and faster. Throttle is very touchy. At this point If the XR had electric start and could be plated I would prefer it over the exc but I believe that is just because I'm not used to this bike and I was very comfortable on that one. I think over time I will become more at ease and used to this bike and I will grow to love it. Just going to take some seat time. Guy

I've been down this same road. Had a 2003 XR400 for years then switched to a 450EXC. It gets better,,, MUCH better in fact! The ole XR4 is a great bike. Has really good low end power and is simple to work on as a pc. of wood. But,,,,, it's a freakin tank! The 450 weighs less and it's got radiators, coolant, battery and an electric starter. Plus the big advantage for me anyway was the slightly lower seat height and it's thinner allowing my stumpy legs to touch the ground easier. The KTM won't feel much better than the XR until you start getting used to it and picking up the pace a little. Where the XR was starting to get nervous feeling, the EXC is just starting to smooth out and work like it should. My average pace on the same trails went up quite a bit after I switched. I'm less tired as well from not wrestling the XR around and trying to force it through corners. It gets better every ride, just stick with it and you won't be sorry.

Also, don't let people blow smoke up your @xx about the high maint. of "KTM's". Valve adjustment is the same on both bikes, oil change is a pain at 1st but after you do it a couple times it's easy. Air filter is easier to get to also. The RFS motors are very dependable, mine fires every time and has run like a champ for 3 years now with just basic maint. Bottom line is the EXC is a worthy replacement for the XR. I'm glad I made the move to get one. I'm still a fan of the XR's since I've had them all my life but despite what the XR die hards say, there are better bikes available and you have one of them. :thumbsup:

Coming from an XR400 myself you'll be shocked getting back on one after 6 months of the 450. It feels like a heavy, overweight pig with little power and forks like slinkys in the ruts.

I'm not too sure about "slightly" more power, try almost twice. The 450 would be like the Millennium Falcon in comparison if you push it. Great machine. :thumbsup:

Keep your valves adjusted and pay a slight amount more attention to oil changes. The RFS, as the xr400, is very reliable with many examples having over 20k miles. My old 400exc has over 30k now with only new valves, cam chains and finally a cam because of wear around the water pump seal (the kid couldn't find a sleeve).

If you do get a Rekluse I'd put in the Z-Start Pro. Lot's more tuning options and more durable.

If it is flaming out at low RPM you may want to take a look at the jetting. JD jet kit is the only way to go. Stock needle and a little lean and it won't take any throttle down low.

Proper jetting will let you tractor it far easier. Moving up to a 48-52 rear sprocket also make a huge difference when used with a 13 front.

Thanks for all of the great replies. It seems like you guys understand where I am coming from. I love the comment about the XR as easy as a piece of wood. Yes , some have scaired me that these bikes are high maint. Glad to hear it is not that bad. The bike has a JD jet kit and an FMF pipe. I just took it pretty easy on my first ride but I think I'm going to have to take my skirt off on the next one and push it a little harder. I truly believe this is a better bike than the trusty XR. I just need to get used to it to enjoy it more. By the way I'm 52 and no spring chicken. LOL, Guy

Edited by vetteguy

I got you by a few years and rip it on a 500exc. You're only old if you think you are. Enjoy your 450, 07 was the last year of the RFS and a great bike.

Open the carb up and see what jets are actually in it. Read the JD jetting setup sheet and be sure it matches what's in the carb.

NOT EVERYONE FOLLOWS THE DIRECTIONS CORRECTLY.

Open the carb up and see what jets are actually in it. Read the JD jetting setup sheet and be sure it matches what's in the carb.

NOT EVERYONE FOLLOWS THE DIRECTIONS CORRECTLY.

Yes, do the desmog and cut the exhaust insert. To help with the flame outs and to keep the front end from diving, simply turn up the idle.

I had an '06 450 XC after owning two DRZ400's. After that I got a GasGas 300. Broke my back on the 3 hunny.. literally.

I recently returned to riding again (off road) and got a steal of a deal on a friends used '07 450 with no time on it.

First impressions are that I like the power delivery better than the '06 XC. The XC is more mid-top oriented and the EXC is more low-mid oriented. The EXC has a different transmission setup and a different final drive ratio which makes it easier to ride on the road. I do about 50/50 with mine.

I did moto the XC, and I have no doubt that I could moto the EXC if I wanted to.

The EXC comes with all the road legal stuff but, really, I want minimal items weighing down the bike. What I gained with the GG300 I lost in reliability to the KTM... the GG really did fall apart around me. None of my KTM's (or DRZ's ) ever broke. Ever.

The EXC comes with all the road legal stuff but, really, I want minimal items weighing down the bike. What I gained with the GG300 I lost in reliability to the KTM... the GG really did fall apart around me. None of my KTM's (or DRZ's ) ever broke. Ever.

Uh, what? I have hundreds of hours on a 300 and it's been bulletproof? What happened to yours?

Second ride on Sunday.Pushed it alittle harder and am feeling alot more comfortable and confident. Did not stall at all. Now if I could just get rid of these crappy rear turn signals that get knocked off constantly. I am looking into flush mounts and the sooner the better.Guy

Very soon riding your xr will be about as entertaining as riding a Russian farm tractor.

once you get it setup, carb and suspension, to your liking its a really nice bike. I went from a cr250 and raised on 2 strokes to this bike last summer so i could ride legally out of the garage. It's a beast of a bike compared to my previous ride and for this short lightweight rider. But it's fun and powerful! Now that I've got it dialed in more it holds it's own and I'm learning to adjust to a new riding style.

The previous owner installed the smaller/shorter Tusk rear taillights which are pretty nice; much smaller than the original ones. A good thing else I'd have kicked them off with my short legs! have fun with your new ride!

Just got back from 3 days of tough, technical riding and am getting very comfortable on this bike. The good - After 3 days and 106 miles in the woods, rocks, steep hills, sloppy mud, etc. I really enjoyed myself and wanted more. I have to say after 2 days like this on the XR I was wore out. Love this bike more everyday. I was riding with 2 quads and 1 other bike. A few times going up a gnarly steep, rocky hill I had to stop in the middle of the hill, to wait for the quads, and then restart. Although difficult I was able to do it. Probably not on the XR, I would just fall over.

The bad - Blew the fuse for electric start twice, something is getting wet. A few bolts came loose and were lost, gotta keep an eye on these. My cheap MD license plate broke off somewhere in the woods. Not sure how but all that was left was the top inch held on by the screws. Minor issues. Guy