What gives a two stroke that snappy sound.

I have noticed that my 04 Cr250 doesnt have that snappy sound some bikes mainly Yzs do.. my bike even with the stock carb does carburet decently... Is this sound mainly pipe and silencer combo??

How about a fresh piston and rings perhaps? They only last 50-100 hours....

Motor is new maybee 10 hours. New crank etc the works.

I got to thinking my jetting might be too rich i am running a 390 mainjet and a 32 pj bike has a vforce and fmf sst and shorty silencer. Oh btw comression is 200+

Different motors sound different, if you're that concerned with your motor get on youtube and listen to different exhaust combos and try and decide what you like the best. It's tough to decribe a sound but I noticed my KX didn't sound as "cool" as my buddies YZ.

There is a reason why they're called a Y zinger ;)

but It has to do with the characteristics of the engine. Higher compression engines sound tighter than those with lower compression. And I dont mean compression ratio; engines that have a higher compression test reading. Also the different kinds of expansion chambers can make different sounds. they controll the resonant frequency and therefore the "echo."

Jetting makes a diff

yz's sound different than cr's. But maybe if you repack your exhaust it will sound better

Gotcha maybe if i see if i can find somebody with a pc exhaust to compare. The bike runs great but something about a great sounding one makes a difference.. I love hearing it.

fmf shortys help too. i hate them though. but thats what a lot of guys use

the crs also have case reeds unlike the cylinder reeds on the yz. i think could make a difference in sounds as they are ported differently

theres so much it can depend on. How your silencers packed, how your engine is maintained, how your exhaust combo is, how your idle is set, how your powervalve is timed, jetting, engine design, even how much airflow to your air filter

the crs also have case reeds unlike the cylinder reeds on the yz. i think could make a difference in sounds as they are ported differently

this for sure

I have a buddy with a 98 300exc that has a very sharp exhaust note. Like crackcrackcrackcrack,even at an idle. It's not overly loud,just very......sharp is the only way I can describe it. Lol He runs the stock hockey stick silencer,but I suspect that the packing is very saturated judging by the pile of spooge on his swingarm.

So i installed a 370 main and made no other changes and that sharpened it up quite a bit. I have a turbine core on the bike right now and it runs much better.

I've only rode my 06 cr on tracks twice and I've gotten a few compliments on how it sounds. Mostly on how it has a similar exhaust sound as a cr500 :ride:

I use rice crispies it gives me the snap crackle pop.

Do Cr's really run jets that big? My Yz250 takes about a 170-180 main jet and it's power band purrs like a mf'er

Shorty silencers make bikes sound a little snappier (or annoying depending on what type of exhaust note you like).

Correct jetting and a fresh engine helps tons.

The carb is a mikuni and jet sizes have different numbers than a yz because kehin uses the lower numbers for some reason