'13 300 XC idle issue

Brand spanking new with less than an hour on it and I've already started fouling plugs. Still on the first tank of gas that the dealership put in so I don't know their mix (they told me it's the 60:1). Plug is soaked in mostly gas but there is a good bit of oil as well. When I unloaded it from the dealership it started right up and seemed to have no issues. I only have maybe 30 minutes of total run time on it now and it was seemingly running fine and I parked it for the night. Go out the next afternoon and it fires right up and I'm letting it idle a bit just to warm up before I go out and as I'm standing there it just dies. I fire it back up and now it's smoking pretty heavily and I have to blip the throttle repeatedly to keep it running. I decide to run it around a little bit thinking it's just loaded up and I take off and do one lap around my property and seems to be performing ok but everytime you get on the throttle a lot of smoke pumps out. I go for a 2nd lap and on a straight in 2nd gear at about half throttle the bike just "burbles" and dies. Everything is stock and I checked the manual and it says the idle air screw should be 2 turns out. When I ran the screw in from the factory setting I was literally about 4.5 turns out. I'm going to start this afternoon by putting the screw at 2 turns out and putting a brand new plug in it and see what happens. Any other suggestions?

check the floats

Start EASY and go from there ....

#1 - Get rid of that GAS immediately! You have no idea how old it is or what ratio it is .. start with new gas.

#2 - Clean your carb - you may have debris in there (in the jets)

#3 - Check your jetting and float levels

Good luck

Edited by supervokes

Drop it off at the dealer's service department and tell them to call you when it's fixed. You have a 1-month warranty, get it in there so there is a record that there was an issue with the bike. Makes it easier to get some lovin' from KTM if a similar problem recurs after 1 month. I made the mistake of trying to troubleshoot a problem on my new bike rather than just dropping it off at the dealer. By the time I gave up trying to figure it out my 1 month was up. KTM still fixed it out of warranty,

keep it far away from the dealer as possible. their rates are $90hr and they dont know much more about tuning than the average person. theres no credentials required for their mechanics and its likely youll have a punk 16yo wrenching on your machine or rather stripping the bolts

see if someone in the neighborhood has some tuning knowledge that could help. other wise your on your own. it aint difficult, just takes time

I agree with supervokes 100%, my bike don't go to the dealer unless within the first 30 days I find a manufacturing defect that I wanted warrantied. its probably something simple. get that gas out of there and get familiar with your manual. what is you elevation?

Sounds like they just started it and shut it right back off. All the ones I have done needed to idle turned up a little when they're new. After an hour or so it can be adjusted back down. It could be some junk in the carb though, I've seen some pretty dirty tanks and that fuel stabilizer they use from the factory is pretty nasty.

Just had the same issue w my sons new sx 85 2013. They told me they are required to put in double the oil as recommended by motorex. Fouled his plug at one hour. Drained all fuel, put in brand new plug and new premix and runs great. 3-4 hours and running crisp. Shouldve known. I always usually drain the crap they come up with in my snowmobile and motorcycle 2 strokes for "break in"!

Start EASY and go from there ....

#1 - Get rid of that GAS immediately! You have no idea how old it is or what ratio it is .. start with new gas.

I ran some 2 month old has in my 250xc and fouled plugs like crazy, replaced gas and no issues.

#2 - Clean your carb - you may have debris in there (in the jets)

#3 - Check your jetting and float levels

Good luck

The stock needle clip is way rich. Try dropping the needle (raise the clip) two positions for starters. Check out the jetting forum over at Ktm talk. There is a lot of good info over there.

Thanks. Started over with a new plug gapped to the manual's specs and went 2 turns out on the air screw. Seems to have fixed my issue for the last 30 minutes of riding.