First Service-1000km's or 600 miles- Prices and reviews

My bike goes in for it's first service tomorrow, I'll post what they soak me for and details, good or bad..stay tuned

They didn't charge me anything, although I did the oil and filter change myself.

Edited by Positron007

My mechanic that also worked for dealers for years said ....

It's for the manufacturer to be able to check for things that may cost them more in warranty repairs down the road. I was going to have him check my valves and he told me not to waste my money and to just change the oil and unless I heard something or felt something was wrong he would check my valves later on after I get some real miles on it.

This also makes sense to me as I have worked for a Ford dealer for over 25 years. They like to get you in the service dept. as soon as possible to build a relationship with you for long term loyalty. Dealerships are good tho and I am not knocking them it is just the way the manufacturers have it set up.

Lucky for me I found a real good independent mechanic that is also a Race mechanic for Tuff Racing Arena Cross.

So I figure over the winter I will take it back to him to check valves and do another full grease job.

Disclaimer:

This is just my experience and personal opinion ... If you want to be on the safe side and don't mind spending the cash then get it done :prof:

Thanks for posting up Bob, I'm interested to see how it goes. I'm guessing it's $160ish... the valves being in or out of spec is the part I'm most curious about.

:thumbsup:

Just got back from the Honda dealer where I bought my bike. Price for 600 mile break in service $300 plus parts and tax. That included checking valve lash and adjusting if necessary. This is in south Florida USA. Service guys said just an oil change $50 plus parts, Full service including lube and cables adjusted, everything except valve adjust, $150 plus parts. All that and valves $300 plus parts.

I... ah... declined and purchased the filter and a couple quarts of Mobil 1

$50 for a oil change is robbery. My guess for the cost of the service will be $210

I was going to have him check my valves and he told me not to waste my money and to just change the oil

I was told the same thing recently by a guy who is an independent mechanic. His family competes in cross country ATV racing here in the midwest so I assume he knows what he's talking about. $250+ for an oil change and a valve check seems quite pricey to me plus the dealership is a 150 mile round trip. What to do.........?? :banghead:

$50 for a oil change is robbery.

$50 PLUS PARTS!!!

robbery indeed

I think because we bought her new .... we feel the need to do this. It is kind of like when your first born gets just a little sick or you think he is sick or your just not sure what to think you just gets all crazy and call the Doc .... ends up nothing was wrong and you just spent money to feel better.

My mechanic that also worked for dealers for years said ....

It's for the manufacturer to be able to check for things that may cost them more in warranty repairs down the road. I was going to have him check my valves and he told me not to waste my money and to just change the oil and unless I heard something or felt something was wrong he would check my valves later on after I get some real miles on it.

Got them to check valves for peace of mind.

They didn't charge me anything for it, so win-win, and yeah the valve clearances were fine and didn't need adjusting.

When I get mine the first service will just be an oil change. I seriously doubt any of these bikes will need any valves adjusted that soon. When I get mine Ill probably change the oil within the first week, then change it again at 500 and 1000 with cheap dino oil, then switch to synthetic and start doing it once a year after that. Im pretty sure I will never put the 8000 miles recommended between changes on in a year, probably not even close.

My Dad always said ... change your oil with the seasons not the miles .... and if you ever get it hot ... change your oil !!!

Now after 25 years in the Ford parts business .... I know he knew what he was talking about !!!

damn kids never listen .... :lol:

Change the oil, yourself. Whatever they charge, chances are the appy (new apprentice) gets the job, and...strips the drain plug.

The way it works here is, you don't take it to them for the services, you lose the warranty. So what? The worst case is you need a new ECU, and even that is not so expensive on this bike. It's not like a BMW/Audi/Mercedes car.

It's another good thing about this bike - the parts are cheap. Compare the same parts with the CRF-R for example. Although the nuts and bolts are expensive.

My Dad always said ... change your oil with the seasons not the miles .... and if you ever get it hot ... change your oil !!!

Now after 25 years in the Ford parts business .... I know he knew what he was talking about !!!

damn kids never listen .... :lol:

I was taught the same thing... :D Damn kids... :lol:

I drove too much so I started to change my cages oil every time the speedo reads 3333.3, 6666.6 and 9999.9 instead. :smirk:

I loath using oil change stickers after being a tech.... :crazy:

:cheers:

Change the oil, yourself. Whatever they charge, chances are the appy (new apprentice) gets the job, and...strips the drain plug.

The way it works here is, you don't take it to them for the services, you lose the warranty. So what? The worst case is you need a new ECU, and even that is not so expensive on this bike. It's not like a BMW/Audi/Mercedes car.

It's another good thing about this bike - the parts are cheap. Compare the same parts with the CRF-R for example. Although the nuts and bolts are expensive.

As an ex-tech I totally agree. :thumbsup:

Checking the valves is a good idea, I don't trust the factory too much either... I guess that's the ex-tech in me too... :rolleyes:

Yeah it's definitely worth checkin the valves.

I don't trust factory workers either. You just hope they have a good QA system.

i did see one or two posts somewhere that said the valves clearances needed doing on the first service.

They should be "inspected" on first service.

On my bike no adjustments were necessary after checking the clearances.

First service completed at our local Honda Powerhouse here in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Rundown of Invoice:

CRF250L "I" Initial Service 1000Kms

-Replace Engine oil and filter

-Preform Valve adjustiment

Inspect, clean, Adjust, lubricate or replace if Necessary

-Engine Idle speed

-Brake system

-Nuts,bolts fasteners

-Wheels, tires

-Steering head bearings

-Drive Chain

Parts: 15410KYJ901 Element, OIL FILTER (1) $8.49

9410912000 Washer, 12mm Drain (1) $0.65

CB66997 10W30 Drum oil (2) $9.16 $18.32

Total for this operation $170.46

Now, the breakdown along with all our lovely Canadian Taxes:

Labour $143.00

Parts $ 27.46

Misc. $ 6.35

Sub-Total $176.81

Fed.Tax $ 26.52

Prov.Tax $ 0.00 (Holy sht, what a country!!!!..Hard ta believe they don't have their grubby paw's in there wanting something)

Total $203.33

So all in all...about what I expected, maybe slightly better. The Valve clearances were good, he had a few issues with the Emperor Skid plate, had to ream the plug hole out a bit, and added a couple small grooves to help the excess oil from the filter run off the plate. Nice job... :thumbsup:

He's a pretty good Tech, from his reputation. Been there since the place opened about 5 years ago, said he's been around bike's for a number of years before.(Not that this necessarily means anything!!)

I've been doing my same VERY repetitive job for 13 years and according to my evaluations, I still suck, ... :p ... anyways...He's all by himself now, there was another fella who had a REALLY good reputation, but "jumped ship" about a year ago, along with all the good parts/ service dept. guy's and went to Polaris/John Deere dealership. I see them when I go get part's for my lawn tractor or chainsaw. I guess they didn't like all the BS at Honda, and are alot happier where they are now.

I mentioned the stalling issue,which seemed to disappear over the winter, he checked the spark plug and mentioned that he wasn't a fan of these particular plugs and noticed before that he had issues with them. And also checked all the connections and said that it may hopefully solve the quitting issue.

Left the dealership, first street lights,(1/4 of a KM away) sitting there idling, clutch in waiting for light to turn green it quit....lol. I didn't bother getting too excited and I'll just see "How she goes" with that issue for now.

So, $203.33 for the piece of mind knowing it was checked out to Honda's standards- Not tooo Bad :cool:

preform huh... :lol:

Here I thought you would perform a Valve adjustment...

Glad to hear it went well. If stalling is still a problem there is a fix... ;)

Finding a good tech is the most important part...

Edited by TNTsXR