Coolant Reviews

I put Engine Ice in my WR because it was going to see lots of street miles. Ran it for a couple weeks with normal coolant and observed engine temps on my Vapor computer. Then I put in Engine Ice. It did not change a thing. Ran in the same temp ranges. However I do feel like it kept the temp swings down.

Edited by freeriders98

If you want a good coolant, distilled water with a little watter weter. It will cool better than anything on the market, and is a fraction of the price.

But it makes a terrible antifreeze..

Edited by GMO397

I just buy the cheapest coolant at my local auto parts store. Im on a budget and it gets the job done.

If you want a good coolant, distilled water with a little watter weter. It will cool better than anything on the market, and is a fraction of the price.

What he said.

maxima coolanol works great for me,never had any problems and its only $12 at rocky mountain for 64 oz

Thanks for all the replys guys, some of those i havnt even heard of which is awesome!

something to keep in mind. some guys get the you beaut expensive stuff with higher boiling points. thing is that it takes a lot of energy to boil water, so it rapidly cools a bike. anything with a higher boiling point will let your engine get even hotter. so in a sense boiling is good, as long as the coolant level doesnt get too low...

personally i'd rather just top it up as needed from the camel back and if it winds up with too much mineralized water in it then just replace when i get home.

I've used a whole bunch of different coolants and additives but have restrained from using the evans type... I've been using two2cool lately and it seems to work well .There's an oil additive for keeping cool too. Here's one early thread on it

http://www.thumperta...h&fromMainBar=1

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/624686-overheating-in-the-tight-stuff-too-cheap-to-buy-a-fan-kit-try-this/page__st__20__hl__+chazmanian%20+two2cool%20+overheating#entry6184566

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I just buy the cheapest coolant at my local auto parts store. Im on a budget and it gets the job done.

Not good,it needs to be made for aluminum engines or it will corrode like a mother. I have seen cooling systems completely plugged from using cheap auto coolant.

Not good,it needs to be made for aluminum engines or it will corrode like a mother. I have seen cooling systems completely plugged from using cheap auto coolant.

Not just the cheapest but there are cheap coolant that I saw at Walmart..just have to read the label that says that aluminum block motors are ok for that coolant.. Then you can use it for dirt bikes.. I forget which brand now but it was cheap and a good alternative. I think one was prestone..

http://prestone.com/enca/products/antifreeze_coolant/product_list

ive always ran be cool in my quads and bikes. seems to work well, and i get a good deal on it.

I would. run water but in Colorado we get below freezing so I need the antifreeze. I had the engine ice crap from the dealer. I recently flushed the system and put in the green stuff which is all I used before on my previous bikes and works just fine.

When I was racing 125cc shifter karts, I switched from a 50/50 mix of auto a/f and distilled water to Engine Ice, and I observed about a 12 degree drop in my engine temps. (Karts use a Mychron data aquisition system). So it was real data, not subjective opinions.

When I was racing 125cc shifter karts, I switched from a 50/50 mix of auto a/f and distilled water to Engine Ice, and I observed about a 12 degree drop in my engine temps. (Karts use a Mychron data aquisition system). So it was real data, not subjective opinions.

See on my Trail Tech Vapor that has an inline sensor I didn't notice any difference when I switched to Engine Ice. The only thing I noticed was that say when you come to a stop it wouldn't heat as fast. But actual running temps I didn't notice any difference.

See on my Trail Tech Vapor that has an inline sensor I didn't notice any difference when I switched to Engine Ice. The only thing I noticed was that say when you come to a stop it wouldn't heat as fast. But actual running temps I didn't notice any difference.

Shift karts are running flat out at 11,500 rpm's, and use larger radiators than MX bikes, and where as MX bikes the rpm's vary so this probably has something to do with the actual running temps.

For my needs at least a few to a lot of mods for my bike to run as cool as it should..(not boil) or use evans and still run hot but it not boil out . My bikes all have spit engine ice out like a sick baby..I can't say it's good because it 's not good enough if it barfs out into my overflow tank gurgling and spits out of that . That's with engine ice alone and a high pressure cap anyway...The conditions are slippery technical slow terrain also generally muddy for an extended period of time so there's more clutching etc. To me it's still messed up that I have to go through this much bs but that's just how it goes.

I was just going to ask if anyone ran Water Wetter in bikes. We run it in drag cars with water(anti-freeze is banned), and it works well.

I was just going to ask if anyone ran Water Wetter in bikes. We run it in drag cars with water(anti-freeze is banned), and it works well.

Yea there's Royal purple and some other brands. I can't remember which dirt motorcycle article it was that actually went and did a comparison of all the different coolants for riding offroad ant the wetters did good in the comparison. I just can't remember which thread it was that linked to it.. it may be gone since Thumpertalk dumped. a bunch of files a couple years ago. I tried to find other overheating /coolant threads and just didn't find it...yet. it may still be there somewhere.

Here's a reference to the article.. 2003? ..anyway..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/497406-evans-coolant/

it may be gone since Thumpertalk dumped. a bunch of files a couple years ago

Did everyone have to re-register? I registered on here years and years ago and couldn't figure out my username/password for the life of me.