Protecting a 300XC-W

I just purchased a 06 300 XC-W that is in great shape. Realtively low miles and hours for the area and year.

What are you guys doing to keep the pipe and frame secure? The bike has no pipe guard or skid plate. Not looking to spend a ton but I feel like I need something. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any tips.

I really like flatland products as far as rad guards and skid plates. I'm using an Eline carbon pipe guard and like it. Just take it off once in a while and clean the mud out to keep pipe from rusting.

I have had good luck with the e-line carbon pipe guard and the KTM plastic skid plate.

DSCN0396_zpsdbb9585e.jpg

I have had good luck with the e-line carbon pipe guard and the KTM plastic skid plate.

Do you feel that the carbon pipe guard helps? I love the look of the exposed pipe and while I will rarely ride in rocks, if I hit one it will be hard. I've seen the pipe guards and they sit right on the pipe. Does it help disperese the point of impact?

I am interested in a composite (plastic) skid plate. Where are you guys doing your parts shopping for these KTM's?

Thanks!

If you need a skid plate, you probably need an aluminum one. Pipe guards are a mixed bag. If you hit something hard enough to hurt a pipe, a pipe guard just transfers the impact to other places on the pipe, mounts, header, etc. Sometimes it's better to just take a dent. Tuning dents we call them.

I use Google to find the cheapest prices once I find what I like, but as of now I use a skid plate and I am having some rad guard/braces and pipe guard built by a welder/fabber friend of mine, who is also redoing my skid plate to my design. I also use Cycra bark busters (Probends) and have had great luck with those. Your best bet is to find and talk to a welder who knows what they are doing to help you repair things, especially the expansion pipe. You will do damage to that no mtter what you do or put on it as it is the nature of those pipes to be hit. Usually I have mine cut open, reshaped, and welded back to spec., and it is fairly cheap compared to a new pipe. Welders are usually fair priced about this since it is minimal work and material to do. I know some people who cut the pipes apart themselves, reshape them (get the dings and dents out), and then have a welder put them back, which is cheaper, and I plan on doing this soon myself.

BTW, I have the same make and model 300 and love the damn thing! Good buy and happy trails.

Do you feel that the carbon pipe guard helps? I love the look of the exposed pipe and while I will rarely ride in rocks, if I hit one it will be hard. I've seen the pipe guards and they sit right on the pipe. Does it help disperese the point of impact?

I am interested in a composite (plastic) skid plate. Where are you guys doing your parts shopping for these KTM's?

Thanks!

You can see the big gash on the pipe guard. I would have for sure replaced two pipes by now so it is worth it to me. I too like a nice shiny pipe but where I ride pipes don't last but a few rides then look like $#IT. Yes the guard can transfer the Impact and cause damage to the mounts and even break the cylinder but none of those issues for me after 200 hours and two years riding. I got the skid plate from my local ktm shop.

Edited by rolliew

If you need a skid plate, you probably need an aluminum one. Pipe guards are a mixed bag. If you hit something hard enough to hurt a pipe, a pipe guard just transfers the impact to other places on the pipe, mounts, header, etc. Sometimes it's better to just take a dent. Tuning dents we call them.

I agree with this regarding pipe guards. I had a carbon fiber one on my stock pipe and the guard is fine but the pipe is destroyed. Instead of denting the pipe bends, flattens, breaks mounts, and creases. Now I think the pipe guard probably prolonged the thin walled stock pipe’s life but I am having great luck with a FMF gnarly without a pipe guard. The Gnarly does have small dents and such from direct rock impacts but it is holding its shape and not breaking mounts, flattening, or bending.

As for armoring up the bike I also have a 2006 and use the following:

1. Aluminum skid plate that protects both the water pump and ignition cover
  2. Radiator cages, protect from falls and keeps stock louvers for air flow
  3. Cycra Pro Bend bark busters.
  4. MSR rear brake fin

Overall I haven’t seen the need for anything else and my bike has taken a beating, sometimes I feel bad for what I put it through. One thing I might add in the future is a TM rear chain guide; I destroyed the stock one and replaced it with a cheap aluminum one but it wears through the guide material way too quickly.

Edited by MotoX178