83 XL600R Coil/Plug issue

On my 83 XL600R I've noticed that the spark plug cap doesnt "snap" onto the spark plug. I thought maybe the spark plug cap was designed for a full size spark plug terminal instead of the small threaded one, so i tried a regular plug, and the cap wont fit on at all. Seems like the cap(coil end) is either extremely worn out somehow, or its designed for some specialty spark plug that ive never seen before.

I'm guessing i should replace the cap, but with what? Can i just do a new wire/cap? Or do I have to replace the whole coil?

Without pushing it onto the plug myself I couldn't tell you if it fit properly or not. But it's probably the original one and I could see it getting a bit loose if it's been pulled off a thousand times over the years. If you want to replace it you can just get the cap from Honda.

You should be able to feel the it slide over the threads on the spark plug. Almost sound like cinching up a nylon cable tie.

You could just replace the cap if you're lucky enough to live somewhere that still has/sells them, I know in NZ they're not sold at auto shops ,,least I never see them. Gone all modern down here and you seem to need to buy the cap which is already fixed to a cable and isn't able to be seperated. Maybe a small engine (mower,,chainsaw) shop may have them..otherwise she's a whole new coil..

It's a bit like the joiners you used to be able to buy to extend such cables..they don't want you being a tight wad anymore so stopped making them sort of forcing you to buy a whole new coil/cable or use a double ended sharpened screw as the joiner..not ideal that,,the old joiners were a fully enclosed job that you screwed the cable into and sealed the ends with gunk..

Edited by Horri

Any ideas on where i can get a coil? Can i use any coil, or does it have to be specific to this bike?

I did the leg work for you and found one in Tennessee. La Follette Honda has one in La Follette, TN. (423-562-5239) They are asking $53.27 plus shipping.

COIL, IGNITION

30510-GR2-405

I did the leg work for you and found one in Tennessee. La Follette Honda has one in La Follette, TN. (423-562-5239) They are asking $53.27 plus shipping.

COIL, IGNITION

30510-GR2-405

Awesome, thanks for the help!