gearing for dz wheelies

hi,,just wondering whats the best gearing for 1st/2nd,gear wheelies off the throttle on my dz400,s as it got the vacum carbs,,not looking to do much more than 70mph plus on the a roads,,i have another post but need the question answerd asap so i can get then tomorrow,,lol,,,

#

thanks

hi,,just wondering whats the best gearing for 1st/2nd,gear wheelies off the throttle on my dz400,s as it got the vacum carbs,,not looking to do much more than 70mph plus on the a roads,,i have another post but need the question answerd asap so i can get then tomorrow,,lol,,,

#

thanks

sorry typing error drz 400,, :banghead:

What mods have you done? It will wheelie just fine with stock gearing, but bone stock the motor is pretty sleepy with not much snap. Even with the stock carb, if you have a good exhaust, do the 3x3 airbox mod and rejet, it will make a world of difference. It's all technique from there.

That said, if you're going to be mostly offroad and not the freeway etc much, you're going to want to gear it down anyways. Try going -1 on the front sprocket and see how you like that. That's still a decent compromise for on road and off. Though for any serious offroading you'll likely want even lower, like 14/47, but you may need a longer chain at that point.

Stock = 15/44

Compromise = 14/44

Offroad 14/47

My bike is a 2012 with 1000 miles I run 14/44 bike is pretty much stock with JD jet kit air box mod and Clarke tank with 2.5 gallons or less fuel it will pop up in second gear every time with just throttle. I can ride wheelies power shifting from 2nd out into the middle of 4th gear with this setup no problem

thanks for the reply,,no mods done as yet,,looking at new full powerbomb and the 3x3,,but as it is just now,,it doesnt even come close to come up off the throttle,,was told it would be due to the vacuum carb as there slow on the power up take??

Start with the jets/3x3/exhaust. If it wont wheelie in first after that there is something wrong. If you're planning on 20-30 miles at 70mph, I'd stick with close to stock gearing.

I've gotten pretty good at clutching it up in second. There is a really good how to wheelie the drz video on youtube and around on the forums.

My bike is pretty much bone stock just a 3x3, jet kit and slip on exhaust. Gearing is also stock I can wheelie the hell out of it, just depends on technique. If you stand on the seat or rear pegs you can clutch it up in 3rd.

Thats me on stock gearing.

#

thanks

helmet, gloves, knee pads, back protector, jacket, elbow guards, quality boots, and a cellphone for when you loop it.

oh, the bike ? any gearing will do. 15/44 = easy 2nd gear up with clutch. 14/47= easy 2nd up no clutch, 3rd up with clutch. no special acrobatics required. most times adding a pipe will kill power and make more noise (harley?). there are only a few pipes and jetting combos that have proven worth while for actually adding power.

but

like i said, you don't need to do anything to the bike before it will wheelie. check your oil. ?