Last time I buy a Bell...

I had a low speed crash into a tree, head first. No visible damage to the helmet, but I thought I would contact Bell to see if they could inspect it via x-ray or something, maybe it was OK.

As requested, I included photos of the impact area and a description of the crash in my initial email (prior to sending in the helmet).

Here was their reply:

Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear about the accident you were in. In order to say if the helmet should be replaced we would have to inspect the helmet. If you send it in to us we do offer a free inspection service that would be able to let you know if the helmet needs to be replaced. If the helmet is not damaged and can still be used it will be shipped back to you. If you are interested in sending in the helmet please package the helmet up and send it into us by a trackable means. Inside with the box, please include a copy of the purchase receipt and a note explaining what happened to the helmet and why you are sending it in.

So I sent in my helmet last week and got a phone call today saying that I would have to replace the helmet. OK, I asked if there was internal damage to the foam. They said there was no way for them to determine that, but from my description of the crash I should replace the helmet. I asked about the x-ray machine... they don't have one. Well, why the hell did I send it in? They were told it had been in a crash, so without an x-ray, they HAVE to recommend I replace it. They don't need me to send in the helmet to do that. What a waste of my time and money.

After much complaining they agreed to refund my shipping and return the helmet to me. Their customer service has been very good (they did apologize for the misunderstanding), but the idea of sending in your helmet for "inspection" is a 100% con job. There is only one possible outcome and they don't need your helmet to tell you that. :lame:

Edited by Colorado^

Okay.

Edited by BoxcarWilly

cool. so you sent your helmet in. knowing they would say it was going to need to be replaced and they told you what you already knew. sounds like its your own fault for wasting money and sending to them.

cool. so you sent your helmet in. knowing they would say it was going to need to be replaced and they told you what you already knew.

That is not correct, please re-read the underlined text. In their initial email reply, they said they would inspect it and tell me if I could still use it. If it was OK to use, they would send it back to me.

What did they inspect other than your description of the crash? Couldn't tell you if the foam was damaged and didn't x-ray the helmet?

I grew up using Bells but after I put on an Airoh I'll never buy anything else. It's super light/comfortable and you can pull practically everything out of the helmet shell and inspect by yourself. If any of the foam is damaged (other than at the top of the helmet) you can replace it.

What did they inspect other than your description of the crash? Couldn't tell you if the foam was damaged and didn't x-ray the helmet?

That's what I wanted to know also. They didn't have an answer. I can only guess that it's a marketing ploy, since they now have your helmet (policy states they won't return damaged helmets) and they are offering you a new helmet at %25 off RRP (which you can get all day long on the net anyway).

I'm guessing they have to because in their manual it will say if you are in a wreck you have to replace it. If they said it was okay and you had another wreck and got hurt you could "legally" (or however the con artists do it) sue them because they said your helmet was okay. They had to say that because of company policy and insurance reasons.

You knew damned well the helmet should have been replaced.

I'm guessing they have to because in their manual it will say if you are in a wreck you have to replace it. If they said it was okay and you had another wreck and got hurt you could "legally" (or however the con artists do it) sue them because they said your helmet was okay. They had to say that because of company policy and insurance reasons.

Then why would they make you send it in on your dime, with the promise to inspect it (and possibly return it to you)?

Before you send it in, they already have the serial number, photos of the helmet and an admission from you that you crashed in it.

You knew damned well the helmet should have been replaced.

How did I know that? Bell didn't even know that, since, based on the photos and crash description, they said I would have to send it in to be inspected before they could determine if it needed replacing.

why the f do they offer a free inspections service, if they do not provide that service

Here is the pic and description I sent to them.

I hit a tree head first at low speed. No concussion and only small scratches on the outside, but I am concerned about internal damage. I was told if you hit your head, replace your helmet PERIOD!

I bought this from XXXXXXXX in Denver Colorado last June.

IMG_9298.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

Then why would they make you send it in on your dime, with the promise to inspect it (and possibly return it to you)?

Before you send it in, they already have the serial number, photos of the helmet and an admission from you that you crashed in it.

They probably do it so most people will feel better about having a second opinion for when they retire it.

I don't like what they did to you either but in the end they have to tell you that so they aren't responsible for later injuries.

They are going to tell you ,you need a new helmet

1. They want you buy a new helmet

2. They sell helmets

3. Lawyers

4. Liability

I never heard of a plastic x-ray machine

2. They sell helmets

3. Lawyers

4. Liability

I have sent a helmet to Arai for inspection two years ago. They returned it to me saying it was safe to use. A friend of mine sent his helmet to Shoei for inspection. He got his helmet back with a letter stating it was safe to keep using. A serious company equiped to do serious testing can and will return a helmet if they deem it safe.

For me, Bell helmets are a no-no because of the build quality. They seem cheaply made and very expensive for what you get. Too bad, they used to be the best in the business and their producs look very good. Good luck OP with your next helmet.

I notice that you are not from the United States

We love to sue and have plenty of lawyer

Good day to you sir

I honestly want to know why anyone would have anything shitty and negative to say about this thread.

-Dustin

Thanks for the vote of confidence :thumbsup:

2. They sell helmets

3. Lawyers

4. Liability

None of which I have a problem with. Lets be clear, this isn't sour grapes about having to buy a new helmet. I'm pissed that they asked me to send it to them, when they could have just told me up front to replace it. I was down in Denver on Saturday (I'm almost two hours away) and could have bought a new lid then.

From everything I've read, x-ray machines will pick up cracks in a helmet. I guess the foam must absorb similar frequencies to that of bone.

Arai Good luck OP with your next helmet.

Thanks, I will check out Aria. I'm going to do my home work this time and find a helmet made by a company that will do free x-rays.

I notice that you are not from the United States

We love to sue and have plenty of lawyer

Good day to you sir

Yes, I'm an Aussie, but I've lived in the USA for the last 15 years (I love this country!). But how did you know that :confused:

just bring it with you next time you go to the airport they will x-ray everything haha.

I always understood that even if you dropped your helmet or it fell off a shelf, that it should be replaced. With that being said in the last 5 years of owning this helmet I have had a hand full of really bad crashes. I've always inspected as best as I can and continue I wear it.