Clutch Problem...

So I have a 1998 KX250. The other day I took it out for a ride and noticed that even with the clutch pulled in, if I gave it medium throttle the bike would slowly crawl forward..I took the bike home for awhile and went out to ride again. I went from 1st, to 2nd, and stayed in 2nd. I tried to shift again to no avail. I tried to downshift, go into neutral...nothing. I didnt hear any loud uncommon noises that would suggest breakage so I rode the bike 30secs to my house. I shut the bike off, and tried rolling it back and forth to see if it would downshift or go into neutral..nothing. Even with the clutch lever pulled in, the bike was acting like it was in gear..the wheel was locked up. I took the pressure plate, friction plates, drive plates, and springs out of the clutch. And yes it had plenty of the right oil in it. Everything looked good except the basket which has very deep grooves almost like a serrated knife blade. Once the clutch was out, the bike rolls again just fine...Any ideas? Is it simply just the clutch components or something that might be a little more of a pain in the ass? Below are pictures of the clutch basket. Thanks.

IMAG0498.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg

Whoa! basket devastation. Basket and inner hub are in need of replacement.

Whoa! basket devastation. Basket and inner hub are in need of replacement.

Do you think thats it? I figured the basket was bad for sure, but I didnt really look at the inner hub.

If those plates get stuck in those grooves, it won't let the clutch fully disengage. With the bike off, I can't see it being a problem. It should shift with the lever in or out. I would say replace the basket and go from there. If you still have an issue, you can look into shift forks or other issues

Do you think thats it? I figured the basket was bad for sure, but I didnt really look at the inner hub.

The inner hub could be run, but the basket is beyond even filing.

I had the same problem. If your careful and low on funds ,you can file the basket notches and inner, It will take some time, just file enough to make it smooth. I always wondered why the clutch baskets werent hard anodized.. steel against aluminum, great choice.

You better keep you fingers crossed its not the forks that broke and ate up gears. Had my whole bottom end rebuild on my 04 kx250. Shifter fork broke and ate up 3 gears both shifter forks were in pieces and a new counter shaft. Sucked balls. My bike wasn't allowing me to shift at all. You never know tho. Try smoothing the grooves out on the basket with a file. If this doesn't work or replacing the hub and basket doesn't work might have to get into its guts. Good luck hope it doesn't break your wallet

Can you shift the trans threw the gears with the clutch out? Just wondering. To clear up any questions. But that basket and inner hub is horrible.

Just saw the pics and yea basket is a basket case lol

You better keep you fingers crossed its not the forks that broke and ate up gears. Had my whole bottom end rebuild on my 04 kx250. Shifter fork broke and ate up 3 gears both shifter forks were in pieces and a new counter shaft. Sucked balls. My bike wasn't allowing me to shift at all. You never know tho. Try smoothing the grooves out on the basket with a file. If this doesn't work or replacing the hub and basket doesn't work might have to get into its guts. Good luck hope it doesn't break your wallet

Is there any way to know for sure if the shift forks are bad short of tearing everything down?

By the way, does anybody know the torque specs for the pressure plate, hub, and basket?

There's no way to tell if the shifter forks are fatigued unless you split the case. It's sucks but its the only way. There are 3 and they are spaced between the gears.

Is there any way to know for sure if the shift forks are bad short of tearing everything down?

After re reading your original post I certainly believe something in your trans is eatin up. I would get the case split again and have a look. If your local shop/dealer are cool they should split it for you no charge as long as you do all the work to where the only thing they have to do is split it Let us know what's up when you can.

Since the hub and basket are total garbage, file away at them, then see how it runs. If it seems to clear up somewhat, then get a new basket and hub. It won't last long after filing it that much.