DR650 Base Gasket Kit

I'm looking at a 2003 DR with 14,000 street miles on it. The seller says he put in the base gasket kit, and while he was at it he put in new rings. He says it runs great. It also has a Dynojet jet kit and a windshield and Suzuki rack. It is located 150 miles away from me. Do any of you see any red flags in this description? Thanks!

The DR650 had a paper base gasket which was prone to leakage. The design was superceded sometime in 2003, so I'm guessing the owner had one with a paper gasket that leaked and he replaced it with the upgraded gasket and popped some new rings in while he was at it. My 2002 sprung a leak at almost exactly 14K miles and I did the same thing. Didn't even bother to lightly hone the bore, the cross-hatching was still very evident. I seen no red flags from your description, if it runs good and the price is right go for it. BTW, my 2002 hit the 64K mile mark a few weeks ago. Still no oil consumption and runs like a top. Woo Hoo!

The DR650 had a paper base gasket which was prone to leakage. The design was superceded sometime in 2003, so I'm guessing the owner had one with a paper gasket that leaked and he replaced it with the upgraded gasket and popped some new rings in while he was at it. My 2002 sprung a leak at almost exactly 14K miles and I did the same thing. Didn't even bother to lightly hone the bore, the cross-hatching was still very evident. I seen no red flags from your description, if it runs good and the price is right go for it. BTW, my 2002 hit the 64K mile mark a few weeks ago. Still no oil consumption and runs like a top. Woo Hoo!

Thank you so much for your insights! That's what I wanted to hear.

I have been looking for a DR or KLR for commuting and day ride fun. I have a soft spot for Suzuki's, (but just sold an old Concours and still have a KLR 250). My wife has a 2005 DR200E which a very sweet little bike, but too small and underpowered for me. This will be bike #16 for me, not counting the bikes my sons and wife have had.

Edited by anexcuse

It's easy to tell if it has the later style metal base gasket installed. You can see the rivet metal gasket where it protrudes from between the cylinder and the case. Some mistake a leaking cam chain tensioner gasket for a base gasket leak because the oil tends to accumulate around the base gasket.

Tech25

boredpix006.jpg

Edited by Tech25

Thanks for your good advice. I really wanted that DR but someone bought it out from under me. :banghead:

I just bought a KLR 650, my other choice. Thanks again, and I may be in the Suzuki section now and then for my wife's DR250E.