air filter seal. NO-Toil

In the old days we used to use grease on the filter lip. With new filters what is it it can be used on the filter lip or is it even necessary?

I use the No Toil filters and I still grease the lip.

I put some filter oil on the lip

I ALWAYS grease the lip, regardless of what the filter manufacturer states. Sure it's messy as hell but I know that nothing is going to get sucked by. I wish they would come up with a system that truly seals without the mess.

Ok. So you mix the NO-Toil filter oil (water / soap) clean up with petroilum grease ?? How would you get this off when cleaning ?? Because thats my delema !!! Sorry for spelling.

I use a thin film of Belray waterproof grease and I apply it to the airbox, not the filter. This keeps things things from getting too messy and it doesn't absorb that much into the filter. Mine cleans up ok with No Toil filter cleaner (the oxy-clean stuff) and hot water.

Try this

0000-No-Toil-Rim-Grease---.jpg

I've never seen this stuff before. I'll have to check my local dealer today and see if they have any of it.

Maybe I am alone in this, but I quit greasing the filter lip probably 6 or 7 years ago. Properly installed the foam lip should be completely compressed by the filter cage. You can install the cage with no filter to check the fit to the airbox. If its nice and evenly tight all the way around then there should be no way for dirf to come thru the foam there.

I basically got sick of cleaning up the mess, especially when I was running no-toil.

Maybe I am alone in this, but I quit greasing the filter lip probably 6 or 7 years ago. Properly installed the foam lip should be completely compressed by the filter cage. You can install the cage with no filter to check the fit to the air box. If its nice and evenly tight all the way around then there should be no way for dirf to come thru the foam there.

I basically got sick of cleaning up the mess, especially when I was running no-toil.

If the NO-Toil grease turns out to be a no go I'll try a little on the box instead of loading filter itself.
If the NO-Toil grease turns out to be a no go I'll try a little on the box instead of loading filter itself.
I use the no-toil rim grease and it cleans up just as easy with there cleaner as there oil does. Its good stuff.

Maybe I am alone in this, but I quit greasing the filter lip probably 6 or 7 years ago. Properly installed the foam lip should be completely compressed by the filter cage. You can install the cage with no filter to check the fit to the airbox. If its nice and evenly tight all the way around then there should be no way for dirf to come thru the foam there.

You're not alone. I give the rim of the filter a little extra oil and that's all. Never any signs of leakage there.