Sign in to follow this  

Connecticut who rides thomaston dam

Who rides thomaston dam. I have lived like 10 miles from there my whole life and never knew about it. Although apparentley you need to be registred with a all terrain registration(screw that). Do they actually check this or have rangers or anything. What will happen if you get caught without a permit. Also are the trails worth it. Do i need a title for registration (dont have it nor bill of sale).

I think you need a bill of sale to register it and it is $35, I haven't been there either I want to check it out this year

You need a proof of ownership, if less than 2 years of ownership bill of sale. MAke it up!!! Nobody will check.... You will have to pay 24 for fees and the plate+ sales tax but Thomson is free so it's worth it. And u need insurance but I suggest it anyway in Ny and CT a dirtbike crash won't take health insurance

Although apparentley you need to be registred with a all terrain registration(screw that). .

Screw that? At minimum you will get a fine and can easily go from a fine to impounding your bike. I was riding at Hodges Dam in MA last year and a Ranger was there checking registrations. The ranger called a flatbed and the rider said goodbye to his bike.

From what I have heard is CT Rangers are even worse than MA. At the least get it registered or face fines around $250.

Screw that?

I almost posted when I read that, but I refrained. I find the attitude a bit un-settling. We have a enough problems with riding areas getting closed down as it is.

The flip side to is that hopefully you live in a state where that registration money is put towards trail maintenance. At the very least, it provides official documentation on the number of people enjoying the sport, which many people don't consider.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

I almost posted when I read that, but I refrained. I find the attitude a bit un-settling. We have a enough problems with riding areas getting closed down as it is.

The flip side to is that hopefully you live in a state where that registration money is put towards trail maintenance. At the very least, it provides official documentation on the number of people enjoying the sport, which many people don't consider.

Jim.

I agree! Im even registering my kids bikes, they are both under 12. That way we can ride at hodges village damn. It gets expensive paying $30 bucks a head at rocky hill.

We have a enough problems with riding areas getting closed down as it is. Couldn't agree more!!

Jim.

Who's attitude are we talking about? Mine or OPs?

well considering ct does nothing for dirt bikers im not paying anything to the state registering a dirt bike

well considering ct does nothing for dirt bikers im not paying anything to the state registering a dirt bike

So don't pay $35, ride there, get a fine of $250 and possibly have your bike impounded to boot and be happy that you made the right decision.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

Hi,

Will they take NJ registration and insurance ?

Don't quote me on this but I have heard someone say they were from NY and a ranger cleared them to ride. I rode there on my street legal DS and I'm from MA. I believe street registration cleared me from most places Out of State. I cannot say what they would do for you though. I believe they have a number you can call. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks ! I tried to call the rangers but no replies.

Anyway tomorrow in going to ride there, I'm coming from northern NJ so if anyone wants to join in with me that will great. I have a trailer and I can haul.

Thanks ! I tried to call the rangers but no replies.

Anyway tomorrow in going to ride there, I'm coming from northern NJ so if anyone wants to join in with me that will great. I have a trailer and I can haul.

how was it? was it open?

Hey guys I was looking on the website today for what you need to ride and it shows a number of out of state registrations that will suffice. Most if the surrounding states are good to go including ny where I live but it doesn't show nj. My father and I just picked up dual sports and want to give it a whirl. I'm currently in long island and don't know where else to ride.

I am going next sunday, I'm from long island as well!! I will take pics and vids. It's army core of enginers it will be good c'mon guys. It's free, and you should title & insure your bikes no matter what in case you get hurt.

Thom​aston dam is run by the army corps of engineers. The Connecticut ​

Department of environmental protection sometimes comes and tries to intimidate

Riders. They have no jurisdiction because it is federal property. If they ever ask

To see your registration tell them to go get a federal ranger to ask otherwise give me

your name and badge number so my lawyer can have you fired. I've been riding

and racing there for 30 years.

just got back from the dam. trails are prime, perfect amount of tack and moisture. a few little sections are closed but prime riding nonetheless. didn't get checked for a plate, either. 2 hours at the waterbury DMV! oh well, perhaps i'll get checked next time.