08 450R front wheel axle

Taking off my front wheel for the 1st time and need a very large allen wrench or special tool on the right side of the axle. Left axle nut is 22mm. What size is this and what tool do i need? Thanx

Crack the 22mm nut with the pinch bolts still done up, they hold that end in place, no need for any tools.

Do the reverse when putting it back on.

Now why didn't I think of that??? thanx raglanash.

Check your bearings and grease it up while you have it off. All good.

And make sure you don't bind up the front end when you put it back together!

Looking at the number plate on the bike (with the axle reinstalled) snug down the left side pinch bolts, leave the right side pinch bolts loose and torque the axle down to 65 ftlbs. Then torque down the right side pinch bolts to 20 ftlbs. Loosen the left side pinch bolts and spin the wheel and lock up the front brake or take it off the stand hold the brake and push the forks threw the stroke a couple times. This should make the forks parallel all the way down. The end of the axle should be flush if not recessed in the fork lug a tiny bit. This is just how I do it. Someone els might have a different method.

And make sure you don't bind up the front end when you put it back together!

Looking at the number plate on the bike (with the axle reinstalled) snug down the left side pinch bolts, leave the right side pinch bolts loose and torque the axle down to 65 ftlbs. Then torque down the right side pinch bolts to 20 ftlbs. Loosen the left side pinch bolts and spin the wheel and lock up the front brake or take it off the stand hold the brake and push the forks threw the stroke a couple times. This should make the forks parallel all the way down. The end of the axle should be flush if not recessed in the fork lug a tiny bit. This is just how I do it. Someone els might have a different method.

Or spin the wheel backwards and hit the brake a few times to line it up. Good advice here^^^

I use a different method but thanx for reminding me to set up the forks. I have not been riding for a few years due to illness and forgot half of the little tips and stuff I knew back when I was riding.

Have not gone thru this bike yet [08 with 10 hrs on it] so I will grease the wheel bearings and might as well get the tripleclamp

bearings while I am at it with the front forks off.

Hex size is actually 19mm or 3/4" . A little trick I discovered is to use a standard 1/2" bolt which has a 3/4" head on it, fits nice. Double nut the bolt, slide it in, and use a 3/4" wrench to hold. Another tool that fits in, that everyone has in their socket kit, is the back end of a small spark plug socket.

Yea, spark plug socket back end. I just love this site , even if I am a dumbass, I can't be one for long with all the good advice.

Yea, I love "Special Tools".

IMG_9245.jpg