DTX short track on the west coast

Just finishing the build up of a 2003 crf 230f for some short trackin in california. Back after 35 years of no racing, (some trail riding only) reliving my youth at 55. Am I the only one? New to the thumper talk scene. I didn't see much for dtx flat trackin, just a guy askin a question.

230Tracker1.jpg

I understand why there is no front brake on your ride. I don't understand how you stop with the crappy drum only though. I would think your new catch phrase should be " oh shit!"

Front brakes aren't used (and usually not allowed) in Dirt Track racing. The rear isn't there to "stop" merely to help settle the chassis and slow the rear wheel on the way into/ out of the corners. Slowing is accomplished by sliding/ scrubbing speed. Once the race (or track session) is over we roll off the gas and the engine braking brings the speeds down to where the rear drum is plenty to stop. Horses for courses.

Rick,

I'm not finding a huge online presence of folks interested in racing DT/ DTX with these bikes either.

I can send you a list of links where I am finding some info though.

How's the track coming?

I think I'm driving down to Chowchilla Saturday to run the 1/3 mile race there. You should come!

-Mike #155G

230's and dirt track are big right now. Stop by Engines Only is San Jose and Frank always has a couple of 230's and motors in the shop.

Ran into a guy up at Clear Lake and he says they run them at Ukiah. They also ran a class at the San Jose Indoor Short track.

I understand why there is no front brake on your ride. I don't understand how you stop with the crappy drum only though. I would think your new catch phrase should be " oh shit!"

Back in the day flat trackers had no brakes at all. I can't remember the first year the AMA allowed brakes, '73 maybe.

There's a guy racing a 230F in Auburn Ca. at Fast Fridays in the open class.

I was thinking about entering the race and running up against him. lol

I think I can beat him.

That made me think, anyone know who it is? His bike looked stock, if it is I know I can smoke him. Ha...ha..

Lots of old timers running Engines Only built motors. If it is built he will be running an EO exhaust and likely have Hlebo stickers on his bike, that will be the give away.

cdrranch

Good looking bike. That sounds like alot of fun. Wish there was some in texas. If there is, I'm not aware of it.

CDR Racer 003.jpgThis is it!!! The finished product.

Wait is that a front brake I see? Looks sweet.

Edited by Confederate

Thanks Confederate. It's been a fun project. Now comes the best part. Runnin her round in circles as fast as she will go.