Buy used ktm without certificate of origin

I'm looking at buying a new race bike and saw a 2011 ktm 250sx for sale near me. These are impossible to find in my area and I really want it. The only problem is that he is the second owner and does nit have the certificate of origin only a bill of sale. Is there any problems with buying a bike with only a bill of sale? Is it possible to get a new one through ktm? Any advice would help. Here's a link to the bike: http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/3757928682.html

Gotten many with just a bill of sale

I would imagine that this question is very specific to the state you live. In Texas no big deal at all when buying off-road vehicles with only a bill of sale.

Perhaps someone from Mass can chime in.

Check your state laws. I had no issue with this in Ky. as they do not require a title for OHV, but Fl. (where I live now) advises it and will not allow it to be used on OHV sanctioned trails without a title or proof of ownership. Google Mass. state statutes and you will find something there to help you out, or contact your local DMV. I doubt KTM being of much help here though.

Just check out the vin through dmv, any names come up (especially if name is diff from seller) you apparently need their signature on bill of sale, not who ever has it and hasn't put in their name. but if it comes out clean and no name comes up than it is easier to put in your name.

KTM will not issue a new MSO. They ship them to the dealers and they go out with the title application or go with the sellers depending on how the state regs are set up.

As long its not stolen, your good. Just lookup the vin and see its clear.

Keep in mind being a 2011 - there's a slight chance that the original owner never paid it off, and it has a lien on it. If that's the case and you buy it, it's still the bank's.

If you really need the bike, I would try to do a title/lein search before handing over any cash.

You buy it?

Same guy is now selling 2012 450 sx

i dont undestand why in teh states they need a title. shouldnt it be enough if the bike has a deed of sale from the seller? as long as the bike is not reported/registered stolen, i see no reason to have a title. one way for the government to dirt their fingers on the publics pockets.

just do a stolen check, make sure there's no finance owing on it which is just as good as stolen. a lot of ppl go buy a bike on finance and sell it shortly after for the cash and stop paying the finance

i dont undestand why in teh states they need a title. shouldnt it be enough if the bike has a deed of sale from the seller?

Did you see what I wrote?! Having a title means YOU OWN IT. You don't have a title?! Someone else may own it - like a bank!!!

It's pretty stupid to buy a motor vehicle without a title - especially one as new as a 2011.

Did you see what I wrote?! Having a title means YOU OWN IT. You don't have a title?! Someone else may own it - like a bank!!!

It's pretty stupid to buy a motor vehicle without a title - especially one as new as a 2011.

almost no states issue titles for dirt bikes

if the bike is new. surely it should come a deed of sale/title and all papers from the shop where it was first bought. if its very old like 2001. i dont think youll get one from the previous owner.

how come i dont own the bike if i bought it from the previous owner which in turn he bought it from the other? not stolen or anything. in which case previous owner and i made a reciept of purchase that i bought it from him with no stolen goods with all the contact info plus personal ID numbers.

Edited by hardhitwarrior

does it even matter if the who owns the bike what, if the bike is not reported stolen? surely if the bike is stolen, the real owner would have had cantacted the police with frame and motor serial numbers.

Edited by hardhitwarrior

imo buying used is a bad idea if you can afford a new one. see if theres any new '13 still sitting around. if not the '14 will be out soon. bought a new '13 while back and its very refreshing to know some flatbiller punk didnt beat the hell out of it and strip all the bolts and never change the oil

This bike is a 2011.. Figuring the bike was probably around $7k new - someone could have been making payments on it.

Scenario - he made a few payments and realized he couldn't afford it.. He sells it to someone - even though he owes the bank a few thousand dollars.. Now he defaults on his loan, files bankruptcy, etc. He still sold the bike without the title.

Now the buyer decides he wants to register the bike for off road or on road use. He goes to the DMV and they do their thing and what's this? The bank was never paid back for this bike. It is not your bike, the bank owns the bike. You either pay the bank what the previous owner owed, or you give up the bike.

That is just one reason why a title is important. If I had any plans to register the bike in any way shape or form, I would not get without a title.

My 2000 KTM 200EXC has a street title, there's no reason a 2011 wouldn't have title or COO.

Edited by CousinLarry

imo buying used is a bad idea if you can afford a new one. see if theres any new '13 still sitting around. if not the '14 will be out soon. bought a new '13 while back and its very refreshing to know some flatbiller punk didnt beat the hell out of it and strip all the bolts and never change the oil

I disagree, let someone else take the depreciation hit

almost no states issue titles for dirt bikes

if not a title then they issue a mso, still would be nice to know ya own it.

I would be concered on such a new bike with no Mso 1. It could be stolen. 2. The bank loan may not have been repaid. They hold the Mso. If the bank can find the bike they can repo it even though u bought tt from someone else. On old bikes the Mso usually get lost somewhere along the line. I would at least have a cop run the vin before u buy. If you must have this bike. I would always prefer a bike with papers. My ktm had no papers it was a 2005. I paid a title service 300 to get a Vermont title and registration. In nj the police take your bike if they catch u riding. So I need to prove I own it. A hand written bill of sale would not do.