BLM/USFS Property and Use Maps ?

California

Hey There... I LOVE maps... and often can't find the specific info i'm looking for when i think it should be readily available...

So specifically i'd like to find Property Borders and Use Restriction Literature (topo map or even street map with property lines and a OPEN, LIMITED, or CLOSED designation) for the Sunfair (Dry) Lake in Joshua Tree, CA. But i'd like to extend this thread to finding a resource for various areas... such as Big Bear, Desert Hot Springs, Hysteria, Arrowhead, and anywhere else people may request.

i have had ZERO response e-mailing BLM directly via website connections...

about to visit the county assessors office and see what they have...

there are LOTS of random BLM parcels in my area too, like adjacent to my property and such and OHV use is hard to enforce around here...

just like to know EXACTLY when i am totally in my rights to ride a street legal motorcycle!

Fairly sure in this day and age most all the agencies have the use maps online. They may be a little hard to find on the various websites and are less then handy online.

The USFS publishes Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) a sample for the Sequoia NF is here;

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5403912.pdf

The BLM is behind the USFS but also has many maps published and online, a sample being Keyeville found here;

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/bakersfield/Recreation.Par.98675.File.dat/keyesville_brochure_map.pdf

Another trend is for the information to be published via GPS files and Google Earth files.

Bruce

if anyone can find a BLM map of joshua tree/sunfair i'd be psyched...

honestly i can't tell if its an open area or a limited use area...

Yeah, doesn't work real well, seems a server problem. I get somewhat better results by left clicking (PC) the list on left. When and if you do get the pdf to load I suggest you save it to have reliable/quick access to the file.

I'm heavily involved in public access to public lands issues (mostly Kern County) so I know where to look and who to call. A huge tool is Google Earth which with the right data can display every agency mapped route, user GPS files & aerial visual images at the same time. I have better luck finding them in the "resource planning/managment" sections more then the user/visitor sections of the websites.

If you use GE (free download, requires high speed) here is a GE .kmz file of the BLM Bakersfield Field Office routes (Taft, Lake Isabella) which are sure to be in the "Record of Decision" (ROD) due out soon;

http://www.blm.gov/p...esignations.kmz

Bruce

Edited by BDM

thanks again... i do actually use google earth a lot... for finding new to me existing singletrack and also scouting connectors i need to make happen... even though i have 2 devices that record gps tracks... i draw in everything by hand on google earth... so its actually only things that i have ridden (not true... pink are paths that i believe "go through" and need to check out further) then whatever stretches were particularly enjoyable for whatever reason gets a color coding mostly pertaining to what gear or style of trail it is... rocky jeep trail, fun quad trail, singletrack, high speed transit route, etc, and unfortunately red routes are those which are no longer legal....

did i say i LOVE maps?!

thanks again... i do actually use google earth a lot... for finding new to me existing singletrack and also scouting connectors i need to make happen... even though i have 2 devices that record gps tracks... i draw in everything by hand on google earth... so its actually only things that i have ridden (not true... pink are paths that i believe "go through" and need to check out further) then whatever stretches were particularly enjoyable for whatever reason gets a color coding mostly pertaining to what gear or style of trail it is... rocky jeep trail, fun quad trail, singletrack, high speed transit route, etc, and unfortunately red routes are those which are no longer legal....

did i say i LOVE maps?!

What device do you use for GPS tracking? I have never used one, but I'm planning on starting. I dig the way you can make your own maps as you described

i have both a garmin zumo 450 and also a contour +2

the garmin device is awesome... i have broken the mount twice... not surprising how i ride!

the contour is am amazing camera but the editing software is limited, and its a lot more work to get the right gps info with any other software, so i usually only capture the video unless there is a specific reason behind it...

again my experience has been a lot more work to deal with a gps route instead of a path i drew in to google earth... the gps routes have arrows and names and direction the thing is traveled... the paths are simply like crayons on a paper map.... i like simple!

I've been wanting to get a GPS and was thinking of the Montana because of the larger screen.

I thought you needed real topo maps in order to do anything worthwhile with a GPS? I found some PDF maps on the BLM site but they were horribly low resolution and next do useless.

i downloaded usfs topo maps for my garmin.... DIFFERENT use than the street map... not always better

Good point, the topos are more hiking oriented but can show you steepness but maybe missing roads.

Good point, the topos are more hiking oriented but can show you steepness but maybe missing roads.

exactly... the street maps have a surprising number of "trails" listed and a quick glance tells you if the trail is going to curve or something... you should be looking at the road anyway!! the zumo is moto specific (expensive) but has a large screen, left handed controls, fuel resistant/waterproof, hold music and photos, etc and i normally run their street map...

then when i am a little turned around or whatever, and i am stopped trying to re-orient myself, i turn the topo map on and start comparing what i see to the topo lines and figure out the direction of civilization (if thats desired)... but the topo lines make it difficult to tell the actual road sometimes...

looks like montana might be the zumo replacement...

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/cdd/wemo_plan_feis_maps.html

here's what we were looking for!!!!

use the previous index map to figure out what map number you are searching for...

That's what we need. I got a larger copy machine at my office. Think it's 12" x 16"?? I'm gonna make some copy's and hopefully the resolution will come out alright.

Thanks for the link!

Good stuff. What does "MAZ boundaries" mean?

Desertwalker62, given your Zumo (how it handles tracks) and how you are using it you might take a look at the "GPX2IMG", a utility which converts lots of high detailed tracks into a single transparent map overlay. I think free to try and cheep for full version.

FYI

Typically the GPS road maps make for crappy geographical/topographical maps, and GPS TOPO maps make for crappy road maps. I always have 3-4 (CityNavigator/Topo/Roads&Recreation) different maps of any given area loaded and switch between them on the fly often. I like maps too!

I like the flexibility of the Trail/Handheld GPS so right now the;

Garmin 78 ($250 from West Marine)

Montana ($420 refurbished & $500 new)

Zumo 660 ( if you want a MC unit which is hardwired for power)

Depending on the unit you might need maps & mounts.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

I thought I looked at that page recently and they were very low res maps.

Is like to get a unit that I can use hiking too, the Montana screen-wise is nice but it's like a brick!