Ktm 500 exc new top end info

I've been searching and searching for this simple answer, but no luck. What time or mile interval does ktm recommend for replacing the top end in this beast of a bike? I want to purchase one, but don't want to be locked into some ridiculous top end replacement interval like my old yzf.

Oh, and what about the valve adjustment period?

Edited by Deepseadan

Just go to their website and look at the service manual. It will tell you every service interval.

there is no simple answer because your question is not simple... your top end service interval will mostly depend on how you ride the bike and service it. if you're not happy with the intervals on yamahas, you will not likely be happy with the service intervals on the ktms. having said that, the 500 can be ridden in a very lazy way, it's super slow reving and you don't put the same kind of wear on a large bore enduro motor that you normally would on a 250 or 450 yzf motor *shrug*

Edited by DRS

These motors run and run valve adjustments hold great..... See KTMTALK some on there have 250 hrs on them with oil changes only.

My 12 450w has 130 hr's on it (raced hard) runs perfect never need valve adjustment yet.

there is no simple answer because your question is not simple... your top end service interval will mostly depend on how you ride the bike and service it. if you're not happy with the intervals on yamahas, you will not likely be happy with the service intervals on the ktms. having said that, the 500 can be ridden in a very lazy way, it's super slow reving and you don't put the same kind of wear on a large bore enduro motor that you normally would on a 250 or 450 yzf motor *shrug*

Man I just hate the thought of dropping $10,000 on a bike which I have no idea how long the top end will last. That's what happened when I bought my used yz426. I couldn't believe when I checked the service manual and it said it needed a top end rebuild every 20 hours. What happened to the days of the xr's where with 4 strokes you could go 30,000 plus miles and the bike still has no need for a top end? My local ktm dealer said they recommend "as a preventative" to rebuild the top end every 50 - 100 hours, or even less if its run hard. That just seems nuts for the rebuild price tag. I guess maybe I should start looking at the new ktm 2 smokes. They have a recommended rebuild of 100 hours and no valves to worry about. So one last question for you ktm 500 exc owners, do you guys just plan on riding until the top end pops, or where are you guys going to draw the line and do a preventive rebuild?

People with 500 exc's are running their top ends with more then 200 hours with only oil changes. Not even bothering does valve checks. Just clean the air filter and change the oil and you'll be fine for at least a 2-3 hundred hours!

What kind of riding are you doing?

I know guys with '05 450 EXC's putting over 25,000 w/o engine teardown. They are dual sporters- some running 70% slab.

Edited by Burnrider

Probably 100% desert. Just want the plate for that rare time I might need to buzz somewhere on the street and also for the resale value down the road. I don't have to have it though. That's why I brought up he ktm 300 XC-W earlier. I heard that the recommended top end rebuild time for that bike is 100 hours and is very easy and inexpensive compared to the 500. Plus I'm an old 2 stroke desert guy and love those bikes. In the old days I could throw a 2 stroke top end in for next to nothing and in no time. That's why I'm having such a dilemma. Love the power of the 500, but not necessarily the extra expense. I will get a ktm either way though. They seem way ahead of all other brands out there.

Race mine in A class, dual sport it etc etc. 160hrs on it and no problems. I did a cam chain replacement for piece of mind and checked the valves. Nothing had moved.....

Had over 250hrs on my 530 before I sold it, thing was ridden hard but ran perfect till the day I sold it.....

Probably 100% desert. Just want the plate for that rare time I might need to buzz somewhere on the street and also for the resale value down the road. I don't have to have it though. That's why I brought up he ktm 300 XC-W earlier. I heard that the recommended top end rebuild time for that bike is 100 hours and is very easy and inexpensive compared to the 500. Plus I'm an old 2 stroke desert guy and love those bikes. In the old days I could throw a 2 stroke top end in for next to nothing and in no time. That's why I'm having such a dilemma. Love the power of the 500, but not necessarily the extra expense. I will get a ktm either way though. They seem way ahead of all other brands out there.

You will rebuild the 300 long before a 500....

Yes you will do a top end on the 300 before the 500 for sure. I split mine at 100 hr's to put a xc tranny in ( 1st through 5th ) the rings were worn some but all else looked new. Valves ....not moved im at 130 hr's now. I to have a 05 RFS (now a 453) the new moter is so much easer to take apart its not funny......doing a top end is cake!

Keep fresh oil in her and ripitback!

You will rebuild the 300 long before a 500....

Guys do run 300+ hours sometimes on the 300 top ends,not saying its the right thing to do but they are a long lasting 2 stroke when used for basic trail riding.

If raced hard any bike will need work sooner.

The 20 hour top end rebuilds shown in factory manuals are based on liability issues and bikes that are raced as hard as can be done.

Yamaha YZF's last a long time,thats why privateers use them for Dakar.

I just put a piston kit in my 09 200XCW,at 175 hours the OEM piston could have gone much longer. I ride singletrack so not holding the thing wide open much at all.

If I held my 530 wide open for extended periods I would be in jail or the hospital,they are a fast bike with out revving them.

thanks for all of this information.  I just bought a 2016 KTM 500 EXC, I will service it like my XR650L and have fun.  Sure is a nice bike!!!

160 hours is about 9,600 miles.  (calculation is for each hour multiply by 60 for mileage)

Edited by Motosprtman

Geez I asked this question 2 1/2 years ago. Guess I like the answers since I bought one.

New motored 500's, is 135 hours  (came from 105), for crank piston and rings, spark plug ect.

I have over 200 hours on mine, I dreamed last night I did a compression check and it had 200 psi cold crank pressure.

Hope this helps!

It really depends on how hard you ride it and how well you maintain it.  If you're racing it, or you ride like it like you stole it then it's most likely sooner than later.  But if your just riding it normal, and I say normal as a variety of terrain and throttle, I've been told you can go 600 hours easily from a few guys I know that rebuild exc's.  

Edited by FLYKTM

If I get anywhere near what I had on the yz450f I will be stoked, but those motors are bullet proof.

I Have 300 hrs on my current 500 exc 2012 with only normal service work. No shims needed yet, does not use any oil.

My old 530 had 300 hrs when I put a piston kit in it, it had just started to use some oil. Only needed 1 minor shim change at 120hrs, and crank seal ( oil transfer ) at 16hrs. I changed the clutch plates at 300hrs also. Only because I had a set here, there was no slipping or any other problems but I was selling the bike and wanted it right.

Most will sell or trade their 500's long before a top end is needed....

Most will sell or trade their 500's long before a top end is needed....

i don't know about that. Those clowns that like air cooled xr's say ktm's can't go even go for a simple ride. And wheel bearings go out before 500 miles. Hmm.