Most expensive fork seal fix ever!

So, I notice my fork seal on my 03 yz250 was leaking bad in my garage after a ride a few weeks ago. I was pretty bummed because I really didn't want to deal with learning how to change fork seals... Also, I figured while I was changing the fork seals, I may as well re-spring the forks... I started pricing stuff that I needed to get the whole bike the way I wanted. It was pretty expensive...

So, that combined with just the general new bike itch really did me in. I guess I had a little money burning a hole in my pocket... Beginning of riding season starting right when people get their tax returns must be some sort of government/dirt bike company partnership. Like they're in cahoots or something...

Anyway, here's the expensive fork seal fix...

ktm250xc_zpsffa852d1.jpg

Maybe a little over-bored (or,overboard?), but whatever...

Edited by juicebox

hahahaaha

Moral of the story - everytime your fork seals need replacing, buy a new bike :thumbsup:

So, I notice my fork seal on my 03 yz250 was leaking bad in my garage after a ride a few weeks ago. I was pretty bummed because I really didn't want to deal with learning how to change fork seals... Also, I figured while I was changing the fork seals, I may as well re-spring the forks... I started pricing stuff that I needed to get the whole bike the way I wanted. It was pretty expensive...

So, that combined with just the general new bike itch really did me in. I guess I had a little money burning a hole in my pocket... Beginning of riding season starting right when people get their tax returns must be some sort of government/dirt bike company partnership. Like they're in cahoots or something...

Anyway, here's the expensive fork seal fix...

ktm250xc_zpsffa852d1.jpg

Maybe a little over-bored (or,overboard?), but whatever...

Haha nice fix, I like it.

TTORA member eh? :thumbsup: I'm on Tacoma World.

I'm loving the bike and the truck, I want one of those tacomas but they just cost an arm and a leg. Let us know how you like the sx vs the yz!

I believe that's an XC. 250 or 300?

I believe that's an XC. 250 or 300?

Yeah, 2012 250xc. :ride:

I'm loving the bike and the truck, I want one of those tacomas but they just cost an arm and a leg. Let us know how you like the sx vs the yz!

Tacomas just hold their value so well. I bought mine in October of 2006 w/30k mi, for 14,350. It has 88k on it now and I could sell it pretty quick for 14K. It's ridiculous...

Thanks though, I love it. I put a lot of work in to it building it the way I want.

As far as it is compared to the yz, I can't quite say yet as I haven't ridden it yet. It's really awesome though, I can tell it's made well and the ergos fit my body great. It also FEELS very light just rolling it around and whatnot. Lifting it up to put on the stand, feels so much lighter then the yz...

Edited by juicebox

Nice one, new trucks are always good

Sellout! I've got a few buddies pushing me hard to go Orange...can't do it. Yet.

But I'm very curious to hear a ride report on the thing...particularly whether or not KToom can make ridable suspension yet. Keep us posted.

So what did that set you back?

So what did that set you back?

Well, I had a barely used one lined up for $5500. Which was a steal, we agreed that he would deliver it to me when he passed through town. Then he sold it out from under me. I was really pissed, so I started looking at the classifieds again. There were no good "slightly used" bikes... I almost bought a 2011 YZ250 for $5999, but I wanted the e-start, headlight and taillight(they aren't on it yet, but the plugs are already there and I'd like to get it plated soon) engine tune-ability, 6 speed, hydro clutch, amazing brakes, different ergos, just an altogether new bike.

Retail on the bike was $8149, they had it on sale for $6500, I asked them what their best OTD price was, he said $7,400 OTD. I said I'd pay $6800. I ended up getting it for $6900.

I asked for pricing advice on the KTM 2-stroke folder, and apparently everybody else but me knows someone that got a great deal. (ex; "My brothers best friend just got one for 6300 OTD", etc)

I paid what I paid, now I'm just going to ride the hell out of it and forget how much it was.

Edited by juicebox

Oh no that is a great deal. How in the hell does the price go from $6500 to $7400 for an OTD price? F ing stealerships. " How much is this bike? OH its a great deal!!! 6500 .... OK I will take it......... Go to write a check and they tacked $900 on !! Been there done that. LOL

Oh no that is a great deal. How in the hell does the price go from $6500 to $7400 for an OTD price? F ing stealerships. " How much is this bike? OH its a great deal!!! 6500 .... OK I will take it......... Go to write a check and they tacked $900 on !! Been there done that. LOL

Their $7400 OTD price was actually like $6K... $390 "freight fee", $350 Assembly & prep, $299 "documentation fee"... :rolleyes:

My "price" on paper, is $5,436.48... the rest were fees... de(vil)alerships. :devil:

It makes me feel bad for people who just walk in and pay full retail... That's gotta be like $10K...

Edited by juicebox

Best fix ever :applause:

Now go get it dirty, and try not to ruin your new fork seals :busted:

Their $7400 OTD price was actually like $6K... $390 "freight fee", $350 Assembly & prep, $299 "documentation fee"... :rolleyes:

My "price" on paper, is $5,436.48... the rest were fees... de(vil)alerships. :devil:

It makes me feel bad for people who just walk in and pay full retail... That's gotta be like $10K...

I have had sales men try to pull this @#$%. I just tell them my check book and I are going down the road. there is another salesman who wants the money. More often than not, i get a call before I get home. I just don't play the "tack -on" game.

Yes sir that wil be $30 for the fork seals and $6870 for the bike they are currently installed in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked for pricing advice on the KTM 2-stroke folder, and apparently everybody else but me knows someone that got a great deal. (ex; "My brothers best friend just got one for 6300 OTD", etc)

I paid what I paid, now I'm just going to ride the hell out of it and forget how much it was.

Sounds to me like you got a great deal. Last time I was shopping new half the dealers wouldn't budge, and were starting at MSRP, plus all those fees.

As for the deals everyone else gets, I truly believe it's 99% BS. ANY forum you go to you'll have guys coming out of the woodwork about how you paid double what you should have. If you got that 2011 YZ250 for $5999 I am sure there'd be a half dozen posts in here about how "they sell for $3000 or less all day long by me". It's held true with virtually every Jeep/Toyota/dirtbike/bicycle/etc forum I've been part of.

If you got that 2011 YZ250 for $5999 I am sure there'd be a half dozen posts in here about how "they sell for $3000 or less all day long by me". It's held true with virtually every Jeep/Toyota/dirtbike/bicycle/etc forum I've been part of.

Haha, yeah... I don't know why people do that. I guess it's an ego thing.

Also, if anyone's looking for a new yz250 for $5999... This is where I was going to go, the salesman was really nice. They had a few of them a month ago. http://www.deltasports.com/

Sellout! I've got a few buddies pushing me hard to go Orange...can't do it. Yet.

But I'm very curious to hear a ride report on the thing...particularly whether or not KToom can make ridable suspension yet. Keep us posted.

Haha, do it!

Just kiddin'. I will give you a ride report if I ever get to freaking ride it, I won't be able to for at least 2 weeks... :(

I was worried about their suspension too, I've heard from guys on this forum that it's still way behind the yz SSS forks... But tthen I hear independent reviews saying the suspension is awesome. I'm too new to know whats great I think, I guess I'm always just concentrating on riding, so I don't pay attention to my suspension. I'm really going to play around with this suspension and try to fit it to me as best as I can.

I think if there were a "blind" test a lot of the ktm haters would have a different conclusion. I haven't ridden a new one, but by 09 or so I thoight they were good out of the box, and spectacular with a Trail Tricks revalve. I'm sure many will disagree, and my experience with them is very limited.

That's a great bike! I road a buddies 2012 250sx and couldn't get back on my yz fast enough. Got on my other buddies 2012xc and felt like I was cheatin'. I may have to sell out and buy a KTM some day. Oh, don't get too attached to that e-start, there's a good chance it will be problematic before long.

May I ask where you got that deal?, surely it was not at the Edge...

Edited by desertlover