anterior cruciate ligament tear - what to expect

Hey folks!

I just found out I happened to rupture my right anterior cruciate ligament. I'll have it corrected in a surgery and following physical therapy and will soon talk to medical experts, but can you tell me if there's anything special to this kind of injury and motocross that I should be aware of? Like how long it might take to get back on the bike, how I should ride like the first sessions. If knee braces would be strongly recommended and thelike... or some kind of special workout / physical therapy program that i should do?

thanks in advance!

Oh, and for those that would like to know how I did this: my right foot got cought in the soil while in a deep rut on the second ride this season.... I wasn't even pushing hard, just kinda riding at 50-75% pace just to let my body know it's time for motocross again after the offsason... Just felt it got cought and as I felt some kind of snappy pain I realized that the knee was forced to bend in the wrong direction... so yeah... game over.... for now...

Sorry about the injury, don't worry there is life after correction.

We prefer our own parts, they heal better, faster and allow a faster return to activity.

After your surgeon your knee will let you know how and when to return.

A brace is a must unless you wait for for total healing before you ride. I am a year out and am seriously debating keeping the brace, and one for the other side. I really don't want to re live that again,

Therapy will be a part of the rest of your life, learn the exercises now.

alright, thanks.

Yeah, I'll of course try to make the best out of it. Fortunately health care system and insurances here in Austria are awesome.

Talked to the doc/surgeon today, since the injury happend just about 2 weeks ago using own parts should be no problem at all.

...so If it ruptures a second time it was too early, right? ;-) haha

Funny thing is, I thought about getting those braces for motocross just at the end of the season last year, just for safety, but during the off season it kinda got burried in oblivion... Life's ironic sometimes...

No idea if my experience was typical, but I was back on my bicycle days after surgery, and trailriding my dirtbike after 5 weeks (carefully). it was more like 6 months until i would have felt confident racing or going to the track.

2 years later I don't even think about it. I just do my normal exercise routine and live happily.

I don't personally use braces, but lots of people find increased confidence with them.

Edited by llamaface

I dont do any of my exercises anymore. My knees feel a ok!.....Dr.Mark done my ACL surgery back in 2008 and I was riding at full race pace at 16 weeks all though I was riding at week 14. However I have all ways worked out with weights so I just kept doing squats and lunges,calf raises and may be rode the stationary bike some before a leg workout.

Probably would be a good idea if I went back and done some of the exercises that I done for rehab after my acl surgery.

Notice my user name. Your leg will never be the same. You will get degenerative arthritis which will necessitate knee replacement. Be on the lookout for gait abnormalities and Reflex Sympothetic Dystrophy. You will have to exercise everyday or you will feel like crap. If you are not having gross instability I would not have the surgery..

First off, I tore my ACL completely in two playing basketball 2 years ago. It honestly felt like my knee was barely holding together. I had surgery where they put a donor ligament in from an organ donor. The surgery sounded like my knee would never be the same and I am a very active 34yr old and it scared me into thinking that I would never be the same again! Wrong! To my surprise, after the very painful physical therapy sessions, I eventually regained some strength and day by day more and more confidence. One thing I wish i would have done differently is to use the shock treatment device they gave me to use when I was in a brace for a couple of weeks because I lost a ton of muscle in that leg just sitting around. I would say it was about 4 months after surgery that I really got back to exercising and back to normal. I probably could have done it earlier, but you don't wanna rush it! Now, 2 years later, I am good as new and stronger than ever, and don't have ANY problems what so ever! I'm sure there are always worst case scenario guys out there, but just be patient with it, do what the doc tells you to do, and you'll be back on the bike in no time.

One thing I wish i would have done differently is to use the shock treatment device they gave me to use when I was in a brace for a couple of weeks because I lost a ton of muscle in that leg just sitting around.

I suspect that is one reason that real doctors like to get their patients exercising right away. I was literally riding a bicycle again a day or two after surgery, and experienced zero muscle-loss.

Of course if you had other ligament damage, there might have been a good reason for the brace.

Notice my user name. Your leg will never be the same. You will get degenerative arthritis which will necessitate knee replacement. Be on the lookout for gait abnormalities and Reflex Sympothetic Dystrophy. You will have to exercise everyday or you will feel like crap. If you are not having gross instability I would not have the surgery..

You're doing it wrong.

Unless you have cartilage damaged or removed, arthritis shouldn't be a major issue. It actually seems to be more of a problem if you *don't* have surgery, because then you are likely to tear the meniscus.

Normal people exercise every day anyway.

My knee feels great, but I am only 51.