Is the 230F big enough for me?

I'm looking at buying my first dirt bike. I've ridden atv's for years but deep down I've always wanted a bike from the times I've ridden them. I like the 230 because of the low and torque and reliability. I want one just for trail ridding and I don't care about big power. I don't like the higher maintenance/price of the 250x. All I'll be doing is riding trails with utility atvs so i don't need/want to go fast. I'm about 180 and 6'1". No dealers around here have a 230 right now so i can't sit on one. I sat on a 250 and it felt good and it's only about 3 inches taller than the 230. Will the few inches in seat height difference be a lot? Will the 230 be cramped? Thanks in advance.

If you are looking at a new 230, I think you would be happier with a used xr400 for less money, you would get a better bike. I'm about the same size (a little lighter), and really like my xr250. I've ridden a 250x and liked it, but the XR does everything I need right now.

I'm looking at buying my first dirt bike. I've ridden atv's for years but deep down I've always wanted a bike from the times I've ridden them. I like the 230 because of the low and torque and reliability. I want one just for trail ridding and I don't care about big power. I don't like the higher maintenance/price of the 250x. All I'll be doing is riding trails with utility atvs so i don't need/want to go fast. I'm about 180 and 6'1". No dealers around here have a 230 right now so i can't sit on one. I sat on a 250 and it felt good and it's only about 3 inches taller than the 230. Will the few inches in seat height difference be a lot? Will the 230 be cramped? Thanks in advance.

I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs., and I think it's great for me. I can still touch ground easily for tight, technical stuff- it doesn't feel too small. I can't say I felt cramped before, but it does feel a little better since I put on CR high bend bars and taller seat foam. You can also put on lower foot pegs which I haven't done yet- maybe down the road. Unless you're used to a full size bike, I don't think you'll feel cramped on a 230. There are full grown guys on here that keep 150F's just for fun or as their main bike. Now that would seem small to me after having a mid-size bike for this long. There are a lots of suspension and power mods you can do down the road- or at least re-jet right away if it's stock for a significant boost in hp.

You could try to find a used one on craiglist to see how it fits you. Even find a Yamaha 230 (Yamaha clone of the 230F) to sit on for size- they should be very close in dimensions.

There is a thread on this forum about 230 cockpit size, with measurements, and the measurements from other bikes makes it a good reference.

The 230 cockpit is a little cramped for an adult male but there are ways to increase its size.

For following ATVs the 230 would be a good choice and the cockpit size most likely won't be an issue.

I've been riding the 230 for a couple of years now and love it. I'm 6-3 and the biggest improvement I did was handlebar risers and cr high bars. Not cramped at all and even comfortable when standing. I've owned a 250x and the 230 is way more comfortable for me in the woods, but it also has something to do with my ability!

I really liked my CRF230, great bike, easy to touch the ground and great power. E-start is a big plus. I do miss it at times! I have since moved to an XR400, mainly just for more suspension, and I must say I love it! It is more work to handle though. They are both great bikes, and you couldn't go wrong with either. I did find the CRF230 a little cramped at times, but I hadn't changed the bars or anything. My favorite part about the 230 is that it would easilly goat up nasty narrow slick hills. Again, both are great.

Edited by 0macman0

Where do you get the handlebar risers and high bars?

Where do you get the handlebar risers and high bars?

Tusk risers- good quality and cheap @ rockymountainatvmc.com. Mine are just over an inch and no problem with cable lengths , etc. CR high bend bars are popular (also what I used) - get them anywhere you can get the best price. Found my new ProTapers for $30 on ebay because they had a tiny scratch on them.

Same here, tusk risers and tusk CR bars. Seat Concepts tall wide seat was also a great improvement. This winter I did the air box mod, gutted the exhaust and re-jet. Its the perfect woods/trail bike for me and my ability.

I'm six foot even, 220 lbs, I originally bought my 07 230 for the same reasons as you, I've had several race 450 dirtbikes, 660 Raptors and 2 Raptor 700's, and I like the fairly low seat height of the 230, comfortable bike with pretty good power. I originally wanted a play bike of sorts since I just sold my 700 Raptor, I thought I would be sorely disappointed as far as power goes with the 230 but not at all the case. I don't think you will be cramped its actually a really comfortable bike as is and with a jet kit, super fun.