CRF450R 09 Bogging on full throttle

My CRF at the end of the ride today started bogging like crazy when i hit full throuttle.

Is it most likely the fuel filter?

there are two kinds i saw on ebay...

this one-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Filter-Kit-2010-CRF250-R-09-10-CRF450-R-Genuine-Honda-Element-D42-/271194356114?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f24717992&vxp=mtr

or this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-INLINE-FUEL-GAS-FILTER-HONDA-DIRT-BIKE-CRF-CR-XR-XL-CARBURETOR-FILTER-NEW-/271134523379?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACRF450|Year%3A2009&hash=item3f20e07ff3&vxp=mtr

what do i need for the fix?

how complicated is to do the fix myself by using guids online? i also have my honda reapir manuel.

if you have any info \guides \ speculations about the problem please hit me up.

the second one says it's an inline for the carb. i'm assuming you put that on your fuel line that goes from the fuel tank to the carb. the first says it's an OEM filter for the 09-10 fuel injected model. since you don't have a carb, i'd go with the first.

Its more likely your fuel pump not the filter.

Its more likely your fuel pump not the filter.

what makes you think that?

it ran like a champ... only at the end of the day it started choking in the 7K+ revs.

more comments please.

what makes you think that?

it ran like a champ... only at the end of the day it started choking in the 7K+ revs.

more comments please.

Experience...

Search through here and the 250 forum. In some cases you can let it sit and the bike will run ok for a short time (10 min or so) then start to bog again.

This is how they act when the fuel pumps fail. Honda updated the pumps in the later models.

Experience...

Search through here and the 250 forum. In some cases you can let it sit and the bike will run ok for a short time (10 min or so) then start to bog again.

This is how they act when the fuel pumps fail. Honda updated the pumps in the later models.

well i saw this one:

http://www.ebay.com/...203ce85&vxp=mtr

it seems like it doesnt come with the fuel filter.

you agree i should order the fuel filter... try it on.. if it fails i should order the pump also?

how bad of a nightmare is to do all that work? can a noob mechanic like me do it with the releavent guides online?

if i'll test run the bike tomorrow can i make it worse?

Edited by shayke

I had similar problems on my 09. It seems to be a common problem.

Filter kit (06160-MEN-A31) about 32$ fixed it.

Link to good write up on it:

http://www.thumperta...ilter-bulletin/

Edited by LanceI

the pump comes with the filter. Its a lot of work to change the filter alone. If you buy a new pump be sure you get the updated part number

and no you won't do any further damage if you keep running it.

Edited by nesc103y

The older pumps work fine with the upgraded filter setup, and with the old filters as long as you put in clean gas and don't let track dust and dirt into the tank while filling up. The pump's working internals are the same, they were not changed, only the fuel routing and filtering system was changed to prevent cavitation resultant from a clogged filter... Cavitation in a pump is no good for it and continued operation under those circumstances is detrimental to the pump itself, just as it is to a propeller on a boat. You can ride out and try it, but the problem likely won't go away on its own. Be careful.

Edited by Eddie8v

the pump comes with the filter. Its a lot of work to change the filter alone. If you buy a new pump be sure you get the updated part number

and no you won't do any further damage if you keep running it.

They will only supply the updated part if you order it , but yea , check the part number if they have one in stock .

just got back from the rest run...

did 2 mins standing warmup then rode 3 mins 50% throttle then 3 mins 80-100% throttle ride and no sign of a the problem.

thoughts?

meanwhile iam changing oil\filters.

Edited by shayke

UPDATE:

took the fuel tank out of the bike... dissassembled the pump... and did the test where you plug the pump to a 9v battery... it was working properly.

that means the pump is 100% or it still might give me problems after it warms up? (didnt want to check more then 5 seconds because didnt know if it can harm it when its pumping air instead of liquid)

the filter is totaly black, should i clean it with fuel and air pressure or order a new one just to be sure?

thanks.

Edited by shayke

Replace your filter with stock. Problem will be solved. Your pump is fine

Replace your filter with stock. Problem will be solved. Your pump is fine

ordered new filter.

will update soon

UPDATE:

took the fuel tank out of the bike... dissassembled the pump... and did the test where you plug the pump to a 9v battery... it was working properly.

that means the pump is 100% or it still might give me problems after it warms up? (didnt want to check more then 5 seconds because didnt know if it can harm it when its pumping air instead of liquid)

the filter is totaly black, should i clean it with fuel and air pressure or order a new one just to be sure?

thanks.

If you are not testing the PSI of the pump, you have learned nothing.

If it falls below 50+ ftlbs, the Injector will 'spit' fuel instead of 'spraying' fuel.

replaced the fuel pump filter with a new one (serial num ends with 31) and the bike runs better then ever. not bogging when hot.

took me a while to attatch the new filter to the fuel pump. need to apply some force with a twisting motion, just be carful not to destroy the filter while you doing it.

in the newer model i think the changed it so its easier to get it in without destroying the filter.