WINTER BUILD - 2011 KX250F

Hey guys, I'm Jordan and am relatively new to the forum. This is my first post. Back in late November I bought a nice new-condition 2011, hour meter read 22 hours. Was a one-owner bike and got a sweet end-of-season deal on it, but the kid who owned it was a bit of a "noob." There was absolutely no boot wear on the cases, and the kid seemed like the type of beginner that wouldn't take it out of 3rd gear. So this was good news for buying a used bike.

He told me that he took to the dealer a couple times to get the oil changed, and seemed proud of this fact. So I essentially came to the conclusion that the only thing he knew how to do was put gas in the bike. At the post 20-hour mark, the fact that the bike never received any other sort of maintenance worried me a little :banghead:

SO, since the snow was starting to fall here in Montreal and winter had made its arrival, I decided that I'd strip the bike down and do overall maintenance on it, greasing linkage bearings and all. At the same time, I realized that I didn't want a stock-looking KXF like all the others I see at the track.

I have a good family friend who does mechanic from A to Z, builds his own cars from the frame up, and I remembered he did power coating, and was awesome at it. It was at this point I wanted to do a sort of blue theme on the bike, but nothing too excessive like coating random parts like the oil filter cover. No. I was on budget and got a few trick blue anodized parts here and there, but the rest I got coated.

Now here's the part that you guys have been waiting for:

604133_10151555854650202_763057861_n.jpg

20130111_171102.jpg

20130215_200758.jpg

Throttle body thankfully is clean, as the air filter was relatively dirty... :naughty:

20130215_203018.jpg

The beginning of the dismantling of both wheels

20130224_202616.jpg

20130301_224546.jpg

A taste of the small little trick parts I got

20130329_194909.jpg

THIS THING WAS 25$!!! :jawdrop: I have to stop my compulsive buying habits.

20130403_195531.jpg

It's kind of difficult to drain the oil without any wheels. Improvisation at its best

20130329_205221.jpg

Decided to remove all engine covers to have them sandblasted. I can't stand seeing boot rub over the years, it looks terrible.

20130329_202012.jpg

Bearings removed from hubs, and the cases were stripped instead.

IMG_3337.jpg

Powder colour: Dormant Blue :thumbsup:

IMG_3403.jpg

Boom. Looks so good. Cases clear coated only, that is their natural magnesium colour after being run in fine glass beads for about 8 hours.

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

Here you go people, this is the work done so far. I will update as soon as I get my suspension back (found out the fork seals were leaking) and when I get my wheels back from being re-laced and trued.

Stay tuned! :ride:

20130215_193521.jpg

hurry up slow poke, xtown is waiting for us!

Very, very cool. Nice work and great tips. I always thought the black paint on the covers was plain stupid, since it always wears off. But, it makes the bikes look good in the showroom. Very nicely done on your part.

The hubs are are amazing.

I will attach a before and after pic of a bike once relegated to a sad existence in a barn, then brought back to life. Some would argue that it doesn't have to look pretty to get the job done, and I would agree.

But, it doesn't have to look ugly to get the job done, either. And, usually, if the guy taking care of the bike cares how it looks, he cares just as much about how it runs.

Here is one bike that didn't run at all when we found it, but ran as good as it looked when we were done with it. Had you posted this a year ago, it would have looked even better!

Nice work.

Here is our before 06

IMG_20120726_210954_zps34780216.jpg

Here is our after "is that a new bike?" 06

IMG_1436_zps2bff4deb.jpg