Sign in to follow this  

clutch question

08 xcf 450,re installing inner clutch,after tighting nut is the inner basket supposed to spin freely,,mines not ,feels like it's binding,,any ideas?i pulled clutch off to replace oil pumps,thanks for any tips,d1

The hub is connected to the transmission and if the motor is in neutral, yea it will spin freely. If its in gear, it won't as it will be connected to the output shaft via the transmission.

Binding usually indicates you didn't put the spacer between the transmission input shaft race and the back of the hub.

it spins freely until i snug up the nut,then tighter the nut gets,it won't spin at all,seems to be binding?

it spins freely until i snug up the nut,then tighter the nut gets,it won't spin at all,seems to be binding?

Yea, the hub is rubbing on the basket because there is a spacer missing between the two components. Its a honkin' spacer, like 5mm which spaces out the hub from the basket.

fixed,just did'nt have the oil pump gears engaged,so it would'nt seat the basket,duh,oh well,thanks for input.d1