clutch question

08 xcf 450,re installing inner clutch,after tighting nut is the inner basket supposed to spin freely,,mines not ,feels like it's binding,,any ideas?i pulled clutch off to replace oil pumps,thanks for any tips,d1

The hub is connected to the transmission and if the motor is in neutral, yea it will spin freely. If its in gear, it won't as it will be connected to the output shaft via the transmission.

Binding usually indicates you didn't put the spacer between the transmission input shaft race and the back of the hub.

it spins freely until i snug up the nut,then tighter the nut gets,it won't spin at all,seems to be binding?

it spins freely until i snug up the nut,then tighter the nut gets,it won't spin at all,seems to be binding?

Yea, the hub is rubbing on the basket because there is a spacer missing between the two components. Its a honkin' spacer, like 5mm which spaces out the hub from the basket.

fixed,just did'nt have the oil pump gears engaged,so it would'nt seat the basket,duh,oh well,thanks for input.d1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By OffroadMT
      I am purchasing a 2012 KTM 350XCF after wanting one for a year and finally picking one up in December. My question is what are some good things to watch for on this bike as far as initial set up and good Mods to improve bike ? My plan is to add a skid plate, hand guards and muffler with the possibillity of changing the header pipe and a Rekluse EXP would be nice as we ride mostly single track mountain trails with some rocks . Any good thoughts and suggestions would be appretiated
    • By element9

The story begins with simple installation procedure of a BIG BORE kit that we ordered from USA . The manufacturer (CYLINDER WORKS) and the dealer send us the correct kit and so far so good ! .
      The bike is a KTM 250 sx-f ,2011 model and bellow there are some photos for you, just to see how careful I am throughout the process .
      .. .. .. .. I change the valve seals and the exhaust titanium valves and springs with the PROX steel kit and make a little polishing on the intake and exhaust
      Put the cylinder-piston on and always with guidance from workshop manual and correct clamps...
      Until now we where happy !!! We start the engine ,and everything seems to be ok!
      Began to make the first ride and…… DISASTER !!!
      The engine start bleeding OIL from the hose-tube !!!!!!!!! I thought its normal if it is one-two drops but unfortunately didn’t STOP .
      We did one more ride to see what happens and still BLEEDING. Back to the WORKSHOP.
    • By Dutch84
      I got about 6 months on my 350 xcf-w. I ride a lot of tight, rocky,rutty, slippery single track in South west PA. The only things I've added are suspension, bark busters, skid plate and disc protectors. I purchased a trail tech mapping switch but hesitant to add it as I heard the dealer needs to unlock the ECU and am not sure how much of a benefit it will be. I have a Scott steering dampner I'm going to add. I'm also looking at exhaust options for my riding conditions. What do you guys think about the items listed and what suggestions do you have?
    • By 13KTM450SXFTRLRDR
      I just purchased a brand new 13 KTM 450SXF over the weekend and decided on Sunday that I would go for a break in trail ride with my dad and a few freinds. I put an hour meter on the bike before it was ever started and had .3 hours on it before the first real ride. During those .3 hours I started the bike and warmed it up and then completely cooled it down two times ( changing rpms and second time rode it around went through the gears and such). I did notice that the cluch seemed a bit noisy when disengaged and in neutral idling but figured it wasnt a big deal because I also heard from others on youtube videos and sounded no different from there's. bike is signif. quiter with clutch engaged(pulled in). So we loaded up and headed out to the desert, immidiately I could tell that I was going to love the bike, I have a 11 KTM450 sxf that I also absolutely love, but it seemed to be getting long in the tooth (145hrs 1 piston and ring total maint!!) and I heard good things from shootouts about 13 and got a good deal so got it. It feels so much lighter than the 11 and handling was amazing!! plus amazing smooth low rpm pull just like my 11 followed by super responsive and super power as every rpm comes up to stupid fast top end. I was loving everything except that the bike was running pretty hot at low speed working the bike like we do every weekend in the tighter technical trails, to the point where I had to shut it down a few times and let it cool was spitting barely out of the overflow!! let it cool and continue. I figured that the bikes fi mapping was way too lean at low throttle position/idle settings. So overall ride goes great and never notice any clutch issue except that its super smooth and amazing light(as light as my 11 with mountain engineering lever and bigger bore master cyinder!!). Next day I decide its time to change the break in oil and wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oil comes out like black water with the smell like I lit the bike on fire!! I work on bikes and cars and whatever I can get my hands on on the side as a mechanic and so I new the smell was that of a fried clutch so I opened up the cover and wow!!!!!!!!!!!! again, clutch steel plates are just black and blue as can be and the fibers are dark fried look!!!! So sad I love the bike but ive pushed my 11 wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder for over 90+hours and changed the plates just because of the time on them not because I actually needed it, and this 13 has only 2.4hours on it with only maybe 1 or 2 full throttle blips and tried to be easy on it overall!! pretty silly I called the dealer and they said never had this type of issue before but then called rekluse and they said they havent even made a clutch ass. for the sxf or xcf yet because they arent ready to due to reliability issues!! funny because its exact clutch as 450xc,xcw,exc and 500xc,xcw,exc and all the 13 two strokes. I believe that the 250psi belleville washer is not sufficient for the bike. not enough pressure but crazy I didnt think I was pushing it!! Scariest part of all is now this bike with 2.4 hours on it has had shit watery fried oil and clutch debris floating throughout all those nice new parts and nice new soft crank plain bearings and tranny, etc etc!! Even if its fixed im worried about the engine now!! Hopefully KTM will realize the problem(which rekluse says that they no whats going on and they are working on it) and warranty the whole damn engine for me. I guess I get to cross my fingers for now, would have kept that awesome 11 if I only could have known!!!!! :( PS-apperently the enduro race team rider (forgot his name carrelli or something) could not complete a race with this clutch and went back to his reliable 12 because of the issue!!
    • By shift1313
      Hey guys, i just picked up a used 2012 ktm 450 sxf to be my supermoto race bike next year. the bike seems pretty much stock but there is a connector on the left side of the steering stem that I am 99% sure couldnt be factory. Its a 4 pin connector, 2 wires in, 2 wires out(to the Estart switch on the bar). On the estart side of the connector there is a small jumper wire in the other 2 spots. I have found lots of info on adding the ignition map switch but i can't find anything about this connector or if it was factory. There is a small coil of wire just before the connector and the connectors appearance makes me think it was some aftermarket or home brew ignition map switch. This is a carb US 450sxf.