kx450f drain issues, PLEASE help :(

so I got my bike a month or so ago, maybe 1.5 months. I bought it knowing it needed the gaskets redone because it was leaking oil. we re do the gaskets, bike runs strong and no more oil leak.. so we thought. first day the bike got home from the shop I rolled it into my buddies basement where it sat for a week (huge snowstorm, couldn't go down the street on a bike lol) anyways we notice oil on the floor. a week later it goes back to my garage where it sits and we notice oil on the floor in every position we put the bike. thinking it was oil from the previous oil change I did nothing about it but make sure my oil was topped before each ride (only rode a few times). so we get this beautiful sunny day and I leave the town I'm living in to go back to my parents place to get my bike and go for a much needed ride. there's STILL oil on the ground. before I did anything I took the skid off and noticed it coming from the drain plug.. tried to tighten it and it was pretty tight so I didn't force it. instead I grabbed a quart of oil and backed the drain out. as the oil starts to pour out I find these rather large aluminum pieces coming out. I get the plug out and the oil drains and what's left is the washer cracked into many pieces. some came out, two pieces are stuck, and a few pieces receded back into the chain case or wherever it goes.. how do I get those pieces out?? can I flush it with oil or kerosene? I had absolutely no idea what the pieces were all about until last night I did some research. I have a moose racing drain plug on the way now. do I just try and get the broken pieces or washer out? what about the 2 pieces that I noticed (+anything I didn't notice) that disappeared into the bike somewhere... please help. I've been waiting for like 2 week to get this problem fixed because I had no idea what it was :( thanks thumpers. here's a couple pics of oil spill in my garage ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1366827646.651944.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1366827677.068115.jpg

the second picture has oil that dropped from the bike (the stuff to the right) and oil from when I drained the bike a few days later (to the left of the picture) thanks

- Aro

We all know what a puddle of oil on the ground looks like. How about a picture of the drain hole and the pieces of aluminum you found. Yes, put oil back in the bike and run it for a little bit then drain it into a clean container. Then put that oil back in until all the pieces have come out. You can also pull the left side cover of the engine off (magneto cover) and there is a little oil strainer there connected to your oil pump. Pull that screen out and clean it. Make sure the small dowel pin that connects the oil pump gear to the shaft doesnt fall out because then the oil pump will NOT be operational.

We all know what a puddle of oil on the ground looks like. How about a picture of the drain hole and the pieces of aluminum you found. Yes, put oil back in the bike and run it for a little bit then drain it into a clean container. Then put that oil back in until all the pieces have come out. You can also pull the left side cover of the engine off (magneto cover) and there is a little oil strainer there connected to your oil pump. Pull that screen out and clean it. Make sure the small dowel pin that connects the oil pump gear to the shaft doesnt fall out because then the oil pump will NOT be operational.

I will. I've been meaning to but I am out of town. thank you for your help though. also, I cannot get the drain plug back into the bike due to alum pieces being in the way. I'm very saddened :( I should go back to my hometown tomorrow, so ill be able to get some pictures.

I'm guessing that who ever put that drain plug back stripped the drain plug threads from what you say.. but like wrench says check and try to make sure it's not other things too. Investigate a little bit more. If it's the drain plug that's stripped there are threads on this so put a search on this here on TT forums. Include the terms timesert and helicoil too.

thanks. the drain isn't stripped though (that I know if, if it is I planned on using the helicoil route of things). I will get pictures as soon as I can. but it HAS to be the aluminum washer.. it doesn't seem like it could be anything else.

..Try looking on these threads too.. maybe it had nothing to do with your gaskets and it's a stripped drain plug.. or something else..keep looking it may even be a couple of things that are leaking..but I'm guessing you have a stripped drain plug from the little bit of info given. Look through a few threads and get some ideas on how to trouble shoot this..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

..Try looking on these threads too.. maybe it had nothing to do with your gaskets and it's a stripped drain plug.. or something else..keep looking it may even be a couple of things that are leaking..but I'm guessing you have a stripped drain plug from the little bit of info given. Look through a few threads and get some ideas on how to trouble shoot this..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

thank you very much