Primary Drive Sprockets

So, I recently went to take my bike into the shop, to have a top end done. They are charging me $500 with parts and labour for it. They said I NEEDED Front brake pads, sprocket and chain set, and clutch lever. All of that amounted to $400. Which I think is bull. Seeing as, EBC brake pads are $30. Primary drive XTS Front is $12, rear is $40, and a D.I.D 520 chain is $40. A standard clutch lever is $10..? So me and my dad decided we will order the parts, and put them on our selves, as they just require a few bolts. A friend of mine, has a Primary drive rear sprocket, which has been holding up well for over 50 hours. There is also tons of reviews saying, not to buy the overexpensive (Renthal, Ironman or Protaper) sprockets, because the PD holds up just as well. Anybody have experience with them, and need to know if your decent with durability. Also, good brake pads, was leaning towards EBC. Thanks for all the input. My ride is btw, a 2006 KTM 125SX

PD is good for a average weekend warrior. more expensive sprockets are usually aluminum which is lighter but wears faster.

As for the dealer saying you need all that stuff idk... break pads dont usually affect the top end

Primary drive sprockets are just fine. That's what I run and for half the price or less than the competition I will stick with them. They wear great and I have no complaints.

Primary Drive rears work well. I won't run the CS sprockets as I I think there is just a little too much play between it and the shaft for my liking. I run Renthal on the CS. Hell, they are only $3 more and fit better IMO/IME.

I use to use primary drive sprockets before i had a deal with renthal. They are all right. I would recommend an o-ring chain if your serious about durability. I started using one and its crazy how much more life you get out of them.

You did not say what bike you are putting them on but I used to run the PD steel front/rears on my 250f's with a quality non o-ring chain, changed them at 20 hours and never had any issues. They are not top of the line for sure but they work fine and quality/fitment was never an issue on my YZ's or KX's, good inexpensive option.

we've ran PD chains and sprockets and they are much better than Renthal products. But we eventually went with a twin ring rear sprocket and the life span is insane. will never use a solid aluminum sprocket again.

You did not say what bike you are putting them on but I used to run the PD steel front/rears on my 250f's with a quality non o-ring chain, changed them at 20 hours and never had any issues. They are not top of the line for sure but they work fine and quality/fitment was never an issue on my YZ's or KX's, good inexpensive option.

Well, I did say my ride was a 06 KTM 125SX. But anyways, I think I will go ahead and buy them. They seem good enough for being a weekend warrior.

I've been using primary drive steel sprockets and O-ring/X-ring chains for years and they are good products. With normal use and care, they will last just as long if not longer than other steel parts costing much more.

Had good luck with them on my XR280.

we've ran PD chains and sprockets and they are much better than Renthal products. But we eventually went with a twin ring rear sprocket and the life span is insane. will never use a solid aluminum sprocket again.

What is a "twin ring rear sprocket"?

Steel teeth with aluminum body. Great set up for sure!

as stated above. very little weight difference and less than twice the price. lasts four times longer. son raced the whole year last year on one sprocket and it's still not worn out.

Thanks! :ride:

I use only PD steel front sprockets on all my bikes (Hon/Suz/Yam). The steel rears work great, I use them for practice, but they look kinda gay so I run Renthal rears on my race wheels.