Sand riding preparations

I posted this in a specific forum first with no replies, hopefully I can get more attention here ;) The post:

I have experienced the hard way about the issue with the breather hose. Luckily it seems like most of the sand is gone by a couple of oil changes, and no more sand will enter again with the re-routing mod. At least not by that passage..

What I have accomplished by sand riding so far:

Sand in engine

Seized two chains

Eaten up sprockets

Rear bearing worn out

Destroyed mud flap

Chewed up one side of the smaller alu frame (next to chain)

And that's after 2 days at Pismo beach.

My new modifications to make the bike last longer:

Scotts steel filter

Re-routing of the breather hose

Womens stockings on the small intakes on the sidepanels

Grease on the air filter contact surface

Filled the small holes in the airbox

Extra link in chain to get the wheel as far back as possible

PCV pipe on the left side of alu-steel frame for stop the chain from chewing it up

Use GREASE instead of teflon on the chain. I have no clue why people recommend teflon lube, at least I did never manage to use it without seizing the chain. I did avoid the grinding paste problem, but rather that than bent shaft in the gearbox. The sprockets got chewed up anyways..

Any comments on more mods to add? I dunno if its possible to save the rear bearings though, they get a pretty good beating with the 10 paddle. My jetting is also a bit rich, but I want to stay safe considering the hot sand dunes. Current setup: Pilot 54, Starter 70, Needle: Dynojet, middle click, Main: 170, Fuelicon1.png screw 3 + 1/4 out. Pipe: spark arrestor of some sort, stock header. The ride is a YZ450 2005. Stock airbox as well

Comments on the jetting is appreciated. I feel I still have to try some other setups too before posting it on the database. I found it a bit strange when it has this huge demand for rich mix at idle. With this setup it only starts with choke, but on the first or second kick. The carb (not completely sure about the specific model) has the fuel screw available under the floater chamber stock, so no need for the R&D lid. Thinking about it now, the fuel screw setup would make sense if its leaning out when turning out, but I'm pretty sure that its the opposite way.

For my cr in sand I'm sure to put grease around my air filter to seal well....sometimes taping the box isn't bad..DON'T USE GREASE on your chain!! It makes it stick and grind, I usually use wd40 and use it religiously on the rest of my bike to prevent rust, corrosion etc..

I always bring extra air filters

Definitly run a bead of grease around the air filter. You can also buy filter skins, or put socks on the filter as added protection

I do everything i normally do, oil my filter, lube chain, etc. But if im riding dunes i put a paddle on

weird I ride sand every time I ride, and I've not had any of those problems

My buddy rides an 08 yz450 and he manages to get sand in his breather hose every time we go to the dunes too. He tried rerouting the breather hose to his air box and it didn't help. My advice is stop burying your back tire when you stop. Let someone else do it and lean your bike against theirs. Don't make any changes once you are out there. Blowing sand will find its way in everything so no filter changes, no jetting, no plug checking, nothing. I have learned the hard way. The steadiest hand doing a filter change out there will still drop sand into the intake boot. Finally prep your chain with wd40 before riding and let it completely dry. Then run it dry. Any lube on it will make paste and wreck your chain. I have a sprocket and oring chain just for dunes duty. One thing ive noticed is that the people that maintenance their bikes the least seem to have the least problems out at the dunes. People who try to change filters everyday and check plugs and jetting always seem to blow motors. Again, once youre out there leave your bike alone! Finally get outerwears for your air filter and shock. You can run all weekend and your filter will be fine and you can pull your mud guard and won't wreck your shock spring and shaft.

You can still do maintenance out at the dunes. What we would do every night is bring in 1-2 bikes at a time into the toy hauler and change oil, air filters pull out the shocks and clean them than after everything is cleaned up we go party. Ha. But the only reason we did that cause our good ol sponsor made us do it cause he didn't want to spend more money on parts when we got back.

In my opinion, the best preparation for sand riding, is avoid it. Sand is an enemy to machinery, all machinery. I traveled 200 miles last Sunday to a race track I’ve never been to before. I was excited to try out a new track, which is one of my goals the past few years, hit as many new tracks as possible. When I pulled into the pit area, my heart sank. 100% sand. Sand every where, and very wet sand to boot. I raced, ended up winning the Evo3 B class which was nice, but absolutely hated cleaning up the bike when I got home. Probably spent 20, maybe 25 minutes actually on the seat, but spent 3 hours cleaning the wet sand out of every nook and cranny of my bike. I literally scooped the sand out of my airbox. Good thing I had just put on a new air filter the day before. The rubber boot between the air box and carb was clean inside, so I should be good. I hate sand! Can you tell?

you would not like it here, it's all sand

single track sand trails are really fun, a good rain will fill in the holes, they self repair

loosen your wallet.

I rebuilt a friends crf250 for cash, forks, shock, top-end, he didnt seat his air filter properly a few days later at some local small dunes, within an hour it blew up.

sand kills.

Been riding sand for a lifetime nothing like it. Along with other tips I have read here and agree with. I like to use amsoil mp on my chains lubes them well and it dries up after applied and nothing sticks to it.This stuff is the stuff for sand riding.I also use it in the dirt with same results.