Any Yamaha XT 600 owners here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

They respond great to a carb change (40-41 FCR pumper), that's where the biggest gain will come from. Otherwise a full exhaust and intake treatment is about it unless you want to go inside, then a bore and Wiseco 10.5:1 piston and a mild porting will do it good. Get to excited about upping the juice and reliability will suffer.

They respond great to a carb change (40-41 FCR pumper), that's where the biggest gain will come from. Otherwise a full exhaust and intake treatment is about it unless you want to go inside, then a bore and Wiseco 10.5:1 piston and a mild porting will do it good. Get to excited about upping the juice and reliability will suffer.

We're would I get a better/bigger carb from ??

Thanks for the help

Fraze

Warning !!! you pay to play

http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/the-744/Yamaha-TT600-or-XT600/Detail

You will need to make a new intake track, The 31mm is probably better than the 33"s unless more head work and aftermarket cam ect.. is used, but will work on a stock motor with exhaust, just needs to be tuned better.

Another way cheaper option is a set of Raptor 660 carbs (I have ready to install in mine$200 after rebuilding and jetting updates), however, the boots that bolt on the motor need to be cut to fit  plus the intake mumbo jumbo, which is the reason why I haven't done mine yet. I'm trying to organize parts so I can use an airbox instead of pod filters( water/mud protection) Either way there is no direct bolt-on kit but the end result is a better running bike. Those stock P.O.S. carb thingies suck at best. No pun intended. Plus no jetting option available.

The kiehin will net better gains than the Mikuni's due to the air flow, if a person could get the 36 or 39mm mikunis in the same setup as the Raptor's, they would wrok even better.

Edit, I just realized your model has only 1 carb. In that case you could call them and ask for a single 39 or 40mm carb. might even bolt in better than the twin setup I'm used to.

Maybe this one, 40mm TM pumper if it fits under the tank.

http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/the-677/MIKUNI-TM-SERIES-FLATSLIDE/Detail

Edited by jjktmrider

Warning !!! you pay to play

http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/the-744/Yamaha-TT600-or-XT600/Detail

You will need to make a new intake track, The 31mm is probably better than the 33"s unless more head work and aftermarket cam ect.. is used, but will work on a stock motor with exhaust, just needs to be tuned better.

Another way cheaper option is a set of Raptor 660 carbs (I have ready to install in mine$200 after rebuilding and jetting updates), however, the boots that bolt on the motor need to be cut to fit plus the intake mumbo jumbo, which is the reason why I haven't done mine yet. I'm trying to organize parts so I can use an airbox instead of pod filters( water/mud protection) Either way there is no direct bolt-on kit but the end result is a better running bike. Those stock P.O.S. carb thingies suck at best. No pun intended. Plus no jetting option available.

The kiehin will net better gains than the Mikuni's due to the air flow, if a person could get the 36 or 39mm mikunis in the same setup as the Raptor's, they would wrok even better.

Edit, I just realized your model has only 1 carb. In that case you could call them and ask for a single 39 or 40mm carb. might even bolt in better than the twin setup I'm used to.

Maybe this one, 40mm TM pumper if it fits under the tank.

http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/the-677/MIKUNI-TM-SERIES-FLATSLIDE/Detail

Thanks for all your help you really seem to know what your talking about I'm gonna save for them carbs you sent me a link to as mine is the twin carb it's a wired set up on the xts dono why they went with the twin carb setup do you have any recommendations on a exhaust system for the xt as been looking round and not many seem to do one I have only found a gpr full system for it but not sure what there like

The better exhaust for the XT is actually a factory take off from a '01-'02 Suzuki GSXR 1000, You look for the number 2KG-X40FOX, It's Titanium and has a great deep sound and good flow, but need to have a mid pipe made to connect to head pipe. Others are European named, Kedo Devil pipe , at least the head pipe is one of the best, but hard to come by.  SuperTrapp ( I don't care for the noise) and Pro Circuit is about all there is otherwise. I'm sure other brands have a model for another bike that will fit but I haven't done any experimenting.

The dual carbs were done because of the limited technology of the carbs back then. A big carb could give great full throttle power but it couldn't handle low rpms, A small carb ran great at low rpms but couldn't keep up high, so by running 2 smallish carbs, one carb would handle down low, idle,and starting then when 1/3-1/2 and up throttle was used the second carb kicked in and the 2 act like 1 big carb for top end, best of both worlds. If the duals are tuned right, you could make more power with them compared to a newer single , but now with no parts available and quite a bit better carbs , they don't pay. The Raptor carb are a good and very tunable setup but hard to fit. The keihins are even better.

• 1 year later...

Try the link below .  You'll have to create an account , which you'll find to be very well worth the effort . That site has helped me in a lot of situations covering many different subjects over the years . They ask that you give ( up load 'something' ) in order to download . That's a small price to pay .

https://www.scribd.com/doc/22585709/1990-Yamaha-XT600-E-Factory-Service-Manual

Sorry I sent you to  a non-producing site , before .

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey everybody, I enjoy reading about all the items giving scooter riders fits - fun as hell - isn't it. What would life be like without it!

I competed in hare scrambles & found out by re-gearing the counter shaft sprocket we could compete in enduro class trials riding. With those 500 cc tractor engines & 530 x 18 tractor tires, it flat tore up the competion. After a full summer of hitting the events in Kansas, me, my wife Pam & my buddy Todd were asked not to come back or they would have to reclassify us into a higher grade! Even though our bikes were street legal & just over 280 lbs. We told them to kiss our a$$. They also bitched about Pam & her yellow tanker that she rode around the event to watch us compete on the different trails. Even though a lot of spectators rode bikes. Seems it pissed them off she knew how to start her thumper (single kick) & it growled!

Have had these thumpers for years (still got them), the yellow tanker is my wife's scooter she bought new in July 78, & yes, it is an original (except for a White Brothers 1 3/4 pipe & a 530 x 18 rear tire) 78 TT500 & still in excellant condition.

The Orange tanker is a 79 I bought in 97 (I originally competed with a 77 TT 500) . The PO had the piston swapped, cam & oil pump. It's got a decent lope to it at idle, but doesn't come on until over 3k. Not a big deal for me now as I don't race them anymore. I'm still in the process of putting together a 1 3/4 pipe. Just because I can weld one up out of stainless & it has a special sound with a beer can muffler.

Never found any short-comings with these bikes, other than to toss them around you do need muscles. Riding these thumpers in the dirt was the best way to stay trim, would sweat out all those toxins every chance we got!

Keep riding everybody as long as you can.

NOSETONO.jpg

Pam1-80%.jpg

IMG_0005.JPG

PAM.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...