Check this out! Has anyone had this issue?

It could be that the chain bunched up in the bottom of the case (when the head was off?) and if you turn the engine over by hand the bunched up chain will do that damage.

This.

To bad you are not closer, I live in Washington state and could weld that up for you. I dont doubt that there are some good TIG welders in Tx. My process would be to get the bike from you with all the solf stuff removed from that side. I would then clean the area really well with a brake clean of some kind and then polish part and case with SS wire wheel. Set amp setting for thickness and grind 2% lanthanated tungsten SHARP and tack, tack, tack, tack it in there. Carful not to build up too much heat/pressure as I am not sure what is on the back side of that boss. I would also advise you that this is a effort to save you some money and time on replacing the case half. It would not come with a 100% success rate tell the weld cools as cast aluminum can be a bitch some times and the weld will most likely look like crap due to that cast being soaked in oil its life.

I hope this never happens to my 450 but if it does I would weld it myself and then have plans to replace the case half on the next piston.

I'm a MIG/TIG'er... and, would think to NOT weld it. But, I'm not an expert welder either and don't have a nice water cooled torch, or the variable adjust freq. either (I've got a syncwave 180 - wishing I had a Dynasty 200). I know something so small like that (thin material) wouldn't be easy due to the porosity of the case, and cast alum. ....I'd sure like to see if you welded something like that!

This guy shows some great technicque (and even brings up oil-soaked castings);

Edited by JohnnyAirtime

I had this happen on my '04 crf250 about 5 years ago. I built that pocket back up with a TIG and used a Dremel to get it back into shape. Has worked fine ever since.

I had thought of this, when I read initially read this post....

John's issue --> http://www.thumperta...t/#entry4983086

I wonder if there is not some procedure we could come up with (or that we already know of) of figuring out how much strech the chain has based on the position of the adjuster. Would be a good thing to have in the FAQ.

Jim.

Sorry JAT, I didnt want to sound like I was the best welder in the land at all... and trust me, I have done a few cast alum jobs and they all are touch and go. And I am by no way saying that this one would be easy either but it would be something I would try in order to try and dodge a $1300 bullet for a little while. Jody is the man as far as teachers and welders go.. that guy rocks. And yes, if you ever get the ich the inverter machines are quite the upgrade from the old transformer rigs. I still have my old 180SD but I hardly ever use it anymore since I got my Dynasty 350. I had converted my 180 to water cooled with a coolmate 3 but I have converted it back to air and put my water cooler setup under my 350. Im telling you, the adjustability of the inverter machines is crazy and you can do so much more odd stuff with them like cast. And if you have not tried the lanthanated tungsten yet you should. I use it for AC and DC jobs with great results. I hate pure tungsten!

Sorry JAT, ...

Sounds like I know of someone to go to now when I need some welding done<g>

Jim.

Sorry JAT, I didnt want to sound like I was the best welder in the land at all...

Naaa... didn't think that at all, but did wonder if you had something to make the job easier. And yes, you do! The Dynasty is on my forever X-mas list right now. So wishing... ;)

I'm using 2% ceriated as of late. And often swap out with pure tungsten depending. I also hooked up my MIG's old spool gun the other day... I've never used it as I had bought it used for my old millermatic 200 4 pin. Welded up some boat trailer wheel wells. And within minutes, had it figured out. Still no TIG... but, did the job and didn't look too bad either. :)

.... jealous of your 350. I wish I had the 'extra' power in my house panel.

Welding sand cast items can be tough, due to the impurities in the aluminum. It crackles and pops. BUT, having done intake manifolds on my car, I can say that it can be done. The imperfections are largely cosmetic, and on something like the inside of a crankcase nobody is going to care. I'd give it a shot first before you spend thousands ripping everything apart and putting in a new case half.

I wonder if there is not some procedure we could come up with (or that we already know of) of figuring out how much strech the chain has based on the position of the adjuster. Would be a good thing to have in the FAQ.

Jim.

Theres likely more than one way to be able to check the chain stretch, but with a MCCT thats easy to do since the adjuster stays where you put it.

Can still do basically the same check with the OEM tensioner but theres alittle more involved with the automatic tensioner spring pressure thats applied. A few easy steps, first turn the engine by hand to TDC, remove the tensioner center bolt for access to use a small screwdriver and count the turns while the spring is being wound up. But you would need to have a baseline number of turns to compare to from when it had been checked with a new chain, so next time a new chain is installed would want to get that baseline number.

Edited by TDW

Theres likely more than one way to be able to check the chain stretch, but with a MCCT thats easy to do since the adjuster stays where you put it.

Can still do basically the same check with the OEM tensioner but theres alittle more involved with the automatic tensioner spring pressure thats applied. A few easy steps, first turn the engine by hand to TDC, remove the tensioner center bolt for access to use a small screwdriver and count the turns while the spring is being wound up. But you would need to have a baseline number of turns to compare to from when it had been checked with a new chain, so next time a new chain is installed would want to get that baseline number.

So now we just need someone with a brand new X or that has just replaced their cam chain that's willing to do that. Think it would be nice to add this to the stickies.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

Jim, I just replaced mine last weekend, so I'll get us a baseline number and post it here.