Sign in to follow this  

2008 450R Pipe and Silencer - made to fit 450X

Ok folks... the 2005 to 2008 silencer, is supposedly all the same for the 450R, allowing it to slide onto our bikes with little to no effort.

Well, I didn't go on and on checking part numbers, or buying used pipes to see just which one fits. But I did try two others, then the "correct" 2005 450R version.

Thus far, I've experience a 2006, and a 2008.... they do not "just bolt on" to our 450X bike.

There's two solid ways to make the silencer fit correctly;

1- add alum to the upper silencer mount (via welding), and relocate the mounting hole.

2- move the lower mid pipe mount, weld it back on in the correct location (using stainless steel filler).

Adding aluminum to the silencer upper mount, is easy if your an alum welder or know of one (I'm capable of alum welding via MIG or TIG). However, not everyone has that ability. So it's easier for most, to cut the stock lower mid pipe mount off and clean up the old welds. Grinding everything smooth and flat for re-weld. Take the entire bike with cut bracket to a welder (most can weld stainless-steel, and better if they can GTAW) and it should be a minimal charge.

Here's what I did to make them fit, and the result is; "like a glove";

First, you must cut off the forward silencer mount, and clean the pipe back up so it looks like no mount was ever there.... like so;

f3e4c5df-3db8-42cb-840d-e796fa155ff1_zps74f2d868.jpg

The pipe and bracket, should be cleaned up well and ready for welding;

538df0f0-5c9e-4cb6-b4bd-42eb7d4b9620_zps034e5131.jpg

560ff574-f904-405a-9f1f-f71390b61da5_zpsb7f03407.jpg

2013-04-30153507_zps52d4b43c.jpg

Once you have the bike at the welders, mount the pipe.... and get it ready for welding;

2013-04-30153638_zps28c120e2.jpg

Slide the cut bracket, back into place and bolt it as-if you were mounting the silencer. In fact, bolt it all together (header to mid pipe, mid pipe mount, and silencer to sub-frame);

2013-04-30153828_zps23de57f0.jpg

Tack the bracket in place in several spots, and remove the pipe for final welding.

Using a TIG machine, is best for this application simply because it's more refined. A MIG, is okay too but will be more splatter and could possibly warp the bracket and/or pipe.

Not the best TIG weld, but it'll hold just as good as stock;

2013-04-30155448_zps4d9da8a1.jpg

Here's the pipe bracket welded up, and again test-fitted to the bike. Making sure it did not move;

2013-04-30155615_zpsbf67b0cf.jpg

... this pipe is specifically for my cousin, so I sprayed it black with 1200° black. It's done and ready to be mounted;

c947be5d-f932-41a8-9e0c-acf3c8b9462f_zpse9b23998.jpg

2013-04-30155907_zps0ece6c33.jpg

Total job took me about an hour.

Most of that time was taken to using an air-grinder wheel to remove the stock bracket. I took my time, and didn't rush it.

If anyone's interested in the mod, and doesn't have the ability to cut the bracket off... or know of a local welder, or can't take their bike to a local welder... your more then welcome to send silencer to me and I'll mock it up on my bike... welding it up for you. My bike has never been down hard, so it's fairly straight and true. Just PM me and we'll get you taken care of!!

Thanks for checkin' out my MOD(s). :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Here's the typical PMB on 450R Can, with 450R Titanium header (on my bike - the whole reason I went down this road);

2013-04-30185714_zps870dd2e5.jpg

:ride: Now, let's ride!

Edited by JohnnyAirtime

Thanks fellas... Appreciate the kudos.

Here's my reasoning for going to stock 450R components;

I've been an MRD-Racing exhaust fan for years. Dave got me a great deal when I was racing, and the pipe did great. However, I've had to repack the pipe every 500-700 miles. This is with using the quiet insert and sparky screen. I've even sent it back to him, for stainless/fiberglass packing material combo or for him to pack it correctly. And still... loss of packing after a short stint on a long ride. He had mentioned it possibly being me on the pipe all the time... yet, I've been babying my bike lately (it's got lots of hours) and still was having problems with the packing not lasting very long. Or at-least, not lasting long enough for my liking.

The R silencer, has an inner core with much smaller perforated holes then the MRD. It's also initially wrapped with stainless then fiberglass packing around the stainless (Dave tried this with my MRD, and it worked longer then it ever has). The packing in the R can, is so tight... it's almost like solid fiberglass cloth. I'm not sure what helps it last so long.... whether it be the smaller holes, or the tight pack. BUT, I'll be running the R can from now on, testing it's longevity for withholding it's packing material. Fingers crossed.

And I can't go wrong with a $50 silencer (and sometimes with titanium header) every now and again. If I beat it up, or have a packing problem... just buy another silencer, and keep one as spare. My whole exhaust system cost me $175.00, which is the 450R Titanium Header, and 450R silencer with Pro Moto Billet endcap. Once I beat the crap out of the silencer, I'll move the endcap to another used 450R silencer and still have a great "spark arrested" exhaust for cheap.

Ok folks... the 2005 to 2008 silencer, is supposedly all the same for the 450R, allowing it to slide onto our bikes with little to no effort.

Well, I didn't go on and on checking part numbers, or buying used pipes to see just which one fits. But I did try two others, then the "correct" 2005 450R version.

Thus far, I've experience a 2006, and a 2008.... they do not "just bolt on" to our 450X bike.

There's two solid ways to make the silencer fit correctly;

1- add alum to the upper silencer mount (via welding), and relocate the mounting hole.

2- move the lower mid pipe mount, weld it back on in the correct location (using stainless steel filler).

Adding aluminum to the silencer upper mount, is easy if your an alum welder or know of one (I'm capable of alum welding via MIG or TIG). However, not everyone has that ability. So it's easier for most, to cut the stock lower mid pipe mount off and clean up the old welds. Grinding everything smooth and flat for re-weld. Take the entire bike with cut bracket to a welder (most can weld stainless-steel, and better if they can GTAW) and it should be a minimal charge.

Here's what I did to make them fit, and the result is; "like a glove";

First, you must cut off the forward silencer mount, and clean the pipe back up so it looks like no mount was ever there.... like so;

f3e4c5df-3db8-42cb-840d-e796fa155ff1_zps74f2d868.jpg

The pipe and bracket, should be cleaned up well and ready for welding;

538df0f0-5c9e-4cb6-b4bd-42eb7d4b9620_zps034e5131.jpg

560ff574-f904-405a-9f1f-f71390b61da5_zpsb7f03407.jpg

2013-04-30153507_zps52d4b43c.jpg

Once you have the bike at the welders, mount the pipe.... and get it ready for welding;

2013-04-30153638_zps28c120e2.jpg

Slide the cut bracket, back into place and bolt it as-if you were mounting the silencer. In fact, bolt it all together (header to mid pipe, mid pipe mount, and silencer to sub-frame);

2013-04-30153828_zps23de57f0.jpg

Tack the bracket in place in several spots, and remove the pipe for final welding.

Using a TIG machine, is best for this application simply because it's more refined. A MIG, is okay too but will be more splatter and could possibly warp the bracket and/or pipe.

Not the best TIG weld, but it'll hold just as good as stock;

2013-04-30155448_zps4d9da8a1.jpg

Here's the pipe bracket welded up, and again test-fitted to the bike. Making sure it did not move;

2013-04-30155615_zpsbf67b0cf.jpg

... this pipe is specifically for my cousin, so I sprayed it black with 1200° black. It's done and ready to be mounted;

c947be5d-f932-41a8-9e0c-acf3c8b9462f_zpse9b23998.jpg

2013-04-30155907_zps0ece6c33.jpg

Total job took me about an hour.

Most of that time was taken to using an air-grinder wheel to remove the stock bracket. I took my time, and didn't rush it.

If anyone's interested in the mod, and doesn't have the ability to cut the bracket off... or know of a local welder, or can't take their bike to a local welder... your more then welcome to send silencer to me and I'll mock it up on my bike... welding it up for you. My bike has never been down hard, so it's fairly straight and true. Just PM me and we'll get you taken care of!!

Thanks for checkin' out my MOD(s). :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Here's the typical PMB on 450R Can, with 450R Titanium header (on my bike - the whole reason I went down this road);

2013-04-30185714_zps870dd2e5.jpg

:ride: Now, let's ride!

Nice work on the pipe... Its one thing i have to sort out on mine...

Can you post another pic of your bike? Looking at the swingarm covers, wot make are they? Or is there a thread on your bike?

.... this would have been best in a PM, but... I'll play;

Can you post another pic of your bike? Looking at the swingarm covers, wot make are they? Or is there a thread on your bike?

Start here; http://www.thumperta...0#entry10610348

Swingarm guards are by; Hyde

Edited by JohnnyAirtime
  • Like 1

I run the Dr D pipe which notorious for blowing through the packing....

I use 25 mm thick of # 2 steel wool wrapped around the silencer core, wire that in place with safety wire (which compresses it quite a bit), then wrap a FMF white re-pack kit around that.

I usually get about 50 hours before it seems to be getting louder, and sound less ferocious....and is all done at 75-100 hours.

Edited by Krannie

So if I understand this right, you can use *one* of the stock 450R mounting locations, but not both. It's up to you to decide whether you want to use the back one, or front one. Is this right?

I have my own welders, and doing that mod to the front end of the pipe would be cake.

So if I understand this right, you can use *one* of the stock 450R mounting locations, but not both. It's up to you to decide whether you want to use the back one, or front one. Is this right?

I have my own welders, and doing that mod to the front end of the pipe would be cake.

That's correct. One of the two mounting holes, needs to be moved. You choose which one.

And yes, the mid-pipe's mount... is easily cut off, and re-welded. Hence the post to my fellow X owners, letting them know!

The 05 R exhaust is a direct bolt on on my 09X. Shouldnt it be for the other years as well? I have no welding skils so I went that route, with the PMB endcap as well. Bolted right up and runs great.

The 05 R exhaust is a direct bolt on on my 09X. Shouldnt it be for the other years as well? I have no welding skils so I went that route, with the PMB endcap as well. Bolted right up and runs great.

The 2005 header and silencer (can) from a 450R, are bolt up to ALL 450X models. ... I didn't post that, because most know it already. Or so I thought. ;)

Last night I did a freakin swan dive off a big drop on some single track and my factory X exhaust didnt fair too well. My header is kinked at the head and bent down and the muffler got some rash and a dent. So I am picking up an 07 R muffler tomorrow fo free and am trying to decide on what header to go with. Is there any differance between the OEM X and R header as far as fit or bends or how tight they fit to the motor? The X header seems to hang out a little bit. If not what about any of the aftermarket headers? Do any of them fit a little closer to the motor?

........ I am picking up an 07 R muffler tomorrow fo free and am trying to decide on what header to go with. Is there any differance between the OEM X and R header as far as fit or bends or how tight they fit to the motor? The X header seems to hang out a little bit. If not what about any of the aftermarket headers? Do any of them fit a little closer to the motor?

Sorry to hear about the wad-up.... it happens.

The OEM X header hangs way down over the water pump, in comparison to the R header. I believe the X header is stronger, as it's SS. The R header might be thinner, and Titanium. I have both in my garage, and could take example pictures and measurements... but, I've got other fish to fry right now, so that'll be awhile out.

I don't have a manufacturer with a tight header (some one else might have an idea). I'm not sure I'd want one too close to the motor... too much heat tucked up under the fuel tank and radiator.

Thanks for the info, I was able to pick up an both R header and muffler from an 08 and another muffler from an 07 yesterday from friends that have removed them. Im going to try the R header for now cause anything is better then what I have. Yes I know its thin Ti so I will just try and do less swan diving for now..

• Like 1