Sign in to follow this  

Cant get oil off air filter, little advice please?

Hey all, ive used the air filter oil that came with my 2012 ktm 150, and this last time I went to clean it, i couldnt get that blue tacky crap off. Id like all that nasty tack to be off because ive gotta imagine theres some dirt or sand in it. To clean it i spray it with uni air filter cleaner and let it sit for 10 mins. Then i wash it with a bit off dish soap with the highest temp water i can stand. I do this for like 10 to 15 mins and usually its completely clean. But this time for some reason i washed it for 30 mins and its still covered in tacky oil. How do you guys clean your filters? And is there any reason it would suddenly be like this? Thanks ahead for any help.

Mineral spirits followed by soap and water. Let it air dry re oil and grease the rim .then you're ready to ride

• Like 1

Hey all, ive used the air filter oil that came with my 2012 ktm 150, and this last time I went to clean it, i couldnt get that blue tacky crap off. Id like all that nasty tack to be off because ive gotta imagine theres some dirt or sand in it. To clean it i spray it with uni air filter cleaner and let it sit for 10 mins. Then i wash it with a bit off dish soap with the highest temp water i can stand. I do this for like 10 to 15 mins and usually its completely clean. But this time for some reason i washed it for 30 mins and its still covered in tacky oil. How do you guys clean your filters? And is there any reason it would suddenly be like this? Thanks ahead for any help.

judging by the sound of your post, you don't want any oil on the filter at all? I'm hoping you are just talking about cleaning the filter then re applying air filter oil

• Like 1

Mineral spirits followed by soap and water. Let it air dry re oil and grease the rim .then you're ready to ride

Cleaning solvent wiil cut the oil as well.

I use gas. Works like a charm

What if you dont have any air fliter oil what can you use???

No-Toil. Like Biggins said, clean it with gas this time then get some no-toil (or similar) oil and cleaner. I like the no-toil system because it's water based and the cleaner is biodegradable so I can clean them in my sink. Just remember water, no matter how hot. will not cut oil. Gas or mineral spirits should do it.

Back when we were kids and didn't have any other options we'd use motor oil for the filters, there are far better and more effectives options these days. Just pick a specific filter oil and cleaner you like and use it. Your bike won't last long without proper air filter maintenance.

Edited by poldies4

Uhm you need air filter oil, thats what keeps the dirt out of the engine. I was just wondering what to use as a cleaner before giving it more oil.

Gas, kerosene, mineral spirits, will work to clean the filter. Back in the day, we used to apply oil to the filter before installing. Today I use air filter oil, yes it works better than the oil we used "back in the day",

Kerosene and gasoline actually damages the glue which holds the different elements of filter together. It also destroys the pours, the little holes which the oil fills. When those pours get larger, the oil can't fill them properly and likewise your filter doesn't do its job. I was wondering why all of a sudden I got little particles of dirt in my airbox and it turns out, it was simply how I was cleaning the filters. I had to buy all new filters and learned a big lesson, now I use a complete system from Twin Air; oil and cleaner.

The Twin air system is very good, its the old fashion system where you dunk the filter in a vat of oil and then do the same thing to clean it, no spray can's. The Twin Air cleaner doesn't completely remove the color, but it does completely remove the oil. There are two types; premix concentrated and straight liquid. I use both, starting with the liquid and then going to the premix concentrated which is more like a soap.

Anyway, there are a multitude of solutions on the market, but I have found this one to do the best job for some reason.

I use gas. Works like a charm

Besides being a little dangerous if you create a spark this is bad for your air filter and will cause them to fall apart.

Dang... I've been using gas to clean filters for 40 years. I don't have any problems with the glue not holding, or the filters coming apart. As for the foam breaking down, and "the pours being destroyed", I see no evidence that the foam changes. I don' t get any dust in my intake tract with filters that have been cleaned many times (they work just as we'll as a new filter). The biggest problem is disposing of the dirty gas.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

Same here, gas kerosene or varsol, gets the old dirty oil out if the filter, air dry and I use chainsaw bar oil (summer weight) to oil it up, it's sticky stuff, then grease the lip in the airbox and I'm done.

As for the foam breaking down, and "the pours being destroyed", I see no evidence that the foam changes.

Buy a new filter which is un-oiled and one of your clean filter's. Compare how far the stretch, look at them through a magnifying glass and you will see/feel the difference right away.

As I always say, its your bike! heh ;)

Buy a new filter which is un-oiled and one of your clean filter's. Compare how far the stretch, look at them through a magnifying glass and you will see/feel the difference right away.

As I always say, its your bike! heh ;)

I have a new filter in the garage so I'll take a look when I have some time. That being said, I still don't get any dust in my intake tract. Every time I pull off my filter I wipe the intake with a white paper towell to check and it comes out clean.

CoKTM

Dang... I've been using gas to clean filters for 40 years. I don't have any problems with the glue not holding, or the filters coming apart. As for the foam breaking down, and "the pours being destroyed", I see no evidence that the foam changes. I don' t get any dust in my intake tract with filters that have been cleaned many times (they work just as we'll as a new filter). The biggest problem is disposing of the dirty gas.

CoKTM

Same here, 40 years using gas. Yes I replace a filter every now and again just to have a "new" filter on the bike. I too have not seen dust in the intake. Although our riding areas may differ... most of mine is wet, muddy, not too much dust.

Same here, 40 years using gas. Yes I replace a filter every now and again just to have a "new" filter on the bike. I too have not seen dust in the intake. Although our riding areas may differ... most of mine is wet, muddy, not too much dust.

Guess that makes both of us old dogs that can't learn new tricks!

CoKTM