Stator Cover Paint

I'm sure I'm not the only person that has had the paint on their stator cover rub off from their boot/dirt. I know there are clutch covers all over the place to replace the beat up clutch covers but what are ppl doing about about these crappy paint jobs on the stators? Its not a big deal, it just makes the bike look "aged" everything else on the bike is rock solid...

I used paint stripper from Home Depot on my clutch cover and it came off super easy and looks great. Only took about 30mins. Haven't done the stator cover yet, it doesn't look bad yet but I will do it soon.

I also used a paint stripper then went the extra mile and polished both clutch and stator cover, it does require a little upkeep, gotta polish them every so often but it looks sick

1367898541609.jpg

You could powder coat them I think but you wouldn't want that stuff flaking off on the inside of your covers

Cant you just tape the the back side so paint doesn't get on the inside?

pretty clueless about the PC stuff

Finally got a pic of my cover done.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1368157132.549586.jpg

Hope your not riding the bike like that...

These are magnesium covers right? Is there any problem with sandblasting the covers? I got a junk motor that has good covers and i was thinking of experimenting on them.

No, sandblasting works great and takes a fraction of the effort of stripping

I also used a paint stripper then went the extra mile and polished both clutch and stator cover, it does require a little upkeep, gotta polish them every so often but it looks sick

How do you polish them to that kinda shine? That looks trick!

Wow, nobody so far seems to have done much powdercoating. Yes they can be powdercoated. Yes they can be taped off to keep the powder from the inside and the gasket surface. if done right it would not flake off inside the engine and not matter either way. it cures at a higher temp than your engine would ever run, It just takes a high heat tape just for powdercoating. It would be fairly tough but would rub off eventually because on these bikes in is a high wear place. Everybody holds their boots different on the pegs and you might get some long life out of it. You can touch it up fairly easy, just have to take it off and clean it re tape it and apply over the old just focus the powder over the high wear area. I still kicking around if i want to do mine on the the old 450. might just do to give a report on how it holds up. sounds like i know what i am going to do this weekend.

If you want to send it my way to be powdercoated PM me and I will give you a heck of a deal to be a lab rat.

Thanks guys!

Alex