Sign in to follow this  

Showa Forks for Woods/Harescrambles

I'm working on a set of Showas from an 07 kx250f. My buddy rides the bike, he is around 230lbs riding strictly H/S. Were currently waiting on the correct springs for his weight, but we have recently replaced the seals and oil. These things are harsh. Full soft on the comp and they are still stiff in the bush. We filled the forks with 5w oil to the factory specs from the service manual.

From the little I could find it sounds as though lowering the outer chamber oil level/quantity will help, but I am unsure if this will really help enough. I have some 2.5w oil left over from my bike, enough to do the inner chambers if it would make a difference and if need be I can get more for the outers.

I know ideally a re-valve is whats needed and I'm not opposed to doing that, but I refuse to pay someone to do that for us especially for $500+. What tooling is absolutely needed to change the valve stacks?

Any input and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Our race season has recently started so major projects will be hard to tackle at this point. Thanks.

Wow haven't read it yet but it looks very detailed. Thank you.

doggers thread is amazing. It got me started on valving as well as countless others. Great info in that thread