New Wiseco crank is different? 07 KX85, Help!

So we are rebuilding my sisters bike and now when it comes time to assemble everything we find out the crank is different. . .

The kit did not come with any hardware, only seals, gaskets, and the crank/rod.

The old crank has a left hand nut holding the gears on while the other has what looks to be a snap ring groove, yet there was no snap ring or any hardware included. . .

Did we receive a wrong crank, are we missing parts?

Right now I'm kind of stumped and any and all help would be great!

Thanks!

Edit: We bought the Wesco WPC119 for the KX85

DSC01230_zps07e7772f.jpg

DSC01231_zps78ce8d79.jpg

Edited by Max78

The bike is a 2007.

Yes the end of the original is bent, I did that when removing it.

I already installed most of the seals so sending it back is not an option any more.

Edited by Max78

The most you can do now is buy a crank and try to recoup as much as you can on ebay, craigslist etc selling the Wiseco crank or maybe find someone local who has an 01-05 85 or 100. I'm guessing you bought the Wiseco crank kit (bearings seals etc). Pro X, Hotrods & OEM are your best bet.

FYI, there's a reason why the Wiseco crank kit, complete, costs as much as any of the aforementioned cranks, by themselves.

Well. . . . I guess what I'm trying to figure out is. This crank clearly is not the same, is it because Wiseco sucks, or is it because this motor is not a 07? Looking up any cranks all they have are generic pictures. If I order a hotrod or other crank for this year is that not going to work either? What years have a threaded end, and which ones have a snapring?

Edited by Max78

Some of the later model bikes I think 06 and up came with the snap ring set up (even on the big bikes). The crank you removed from the bike is from 05 or older. You could probably buy 2 new gears and what ever else is needed to fit (Washer and snap ring I think) on the new crank and even then I don't know if it's been done so you would have to measure it and make sure everything lines up right. But in doing that you would be spending more money on a crank that by wisecos standards and what I've seen may not last you 10 hours before it fails.

Your best bet would have been getting the OEM crank rebuilt, but you bent it, really should have taken more care.

Did you buy the bike used? Either the previous owner changed the crank(highly unlikely) or you were lied to about the year of the bike.

Check your vin number:

http://www.kawasaki....OOSEVEHICLE.ASP

Edited by moose_338

NO NO NO...... The 06 and up use the LH thread nut. the 01-05 models use the snap ring. What he took and and beat the hellout of LOLOLOLOLOL is the correct crank for an 07. The Wiseco he got is for the pre-06's.

As for why the Wisecos suck is poor mainly due to shotty bearings for the mains and big end. Myself and many other on here have had bad luck. I never used them myself but had built many other peoples bikes that brought the parts to me. Even after I told them not to buy Wiseco.. But they're on a budget. Well, 10 hrs later they're back saying I screwed something up. I tell them to go to hell and search the internet on how many of these cranks suck. Very few that I've read about lasted. These cranks are made in China without regard to close tolerances.

You get what you pay for....Wiseco crank kit $180....Hotrods crank = $180 then add in NTN or KOYO bearings. As for seals, go with OEM or Winderosa.

Wow, tons of information!

She bought the bike used and the crank that I removed was a Hot Rods crank and not OEM. I didn’t think I beat on it that hard, but I guess these things are a little delicate. It is also blued from overheating as it was run dry of coolant and wouldn’t think it would be rebuild-able so I was not to terribly worried about it.

I checked the vin before I bought it and it did come back as an 07. The vin is not showing up on the Kawasaki site at all.

I sent an email off to Wiseco asking them about it, I will shoot off another to the dealer I bought it from on Amazon. If I can return it for a partial refund I will do that. If not I'll try to sell it and see about getting a Hot Rods crank.

Thanks for all the information!

Edited by Max78

NO NO NO...... The 06 and up use the LH thread nut. the 01-05 models use the snap ring. What he took and and beat the hellout of LOLOLOLOLOL is the correct crank for an 07. The Wiseco he got is for the pre-06's.

Alrighty then I was wrong lolz I'm a big bike guy lol SO it seems kawi did the exact opposite with the minis then with the big bikes.

As for the bent crank I think thats what crank pullers are for, oh well you learn something everyday. Next time use a puller and save your self the headache. Hindsight is 20/20......

Alrighty then I was wrong lolz I'm a big bike guy lol SO it seems kawi did the exact opposite with the minis then with the big bikes.

As for the bent crank I think thats what crank pullers are for, oh well you learn something everyday. Next time use a puller and save your self the headache. Hindsight is 20/20......

I did use a crank puller. I did tap it but didn't hit it that hard, or at least I thought.

Another problem with Wiseco is if you didn't purchase the part directly from them they tell you that you have to go through the dealer you bought it from. I went through this with a mis-packaged timing chain. Thank god I counted those links. That was recently and probably the last time I will buy anything Wiseco brand.

Your first problem was buying a wiseco crank.

Second problem is you pulled out a hammer when working on an engine. Never should a hammer be used when assembling / dissassembling an engine.

Do yourself a favor, give the engine to someone that knows how to work on one.

Enjoy.

Edited by ChrisZx7

Second problem is you pulled out a hammer when working on an engine. Never should a hammer be used when assembling / dissassembling an engine.

Enjoy.

Now where would we be if we just handed everything off to someone else? Live and learn. I also don't see a problem using a hammer on known bad parts, you might have a different opinion but it is just that and opinion. Thank you for the input though.

• Like 2

Wow, tons of information!

She bought the bike used and the crank that I removed was a Hot Rods crank and not OEM. I didn’t think I beat on it that hard, but I guess these things are a little delicate. It is also blued from overheating as it was run dry of coolant and wouldn’t think it would be rebuild-able so I was not to terribly worried about it.

Thanks for all the information!

The bluing is normal from assembly.

Another problem with Wiseco is if you didn't purchase the part directly from them they tell you that you have to go through the dealer you bought it from. I went through this with a mis-packaged timing chain. Thank god I counted those links. That was recently and probably the last time I will buy anything Wiseco brand.

OK what's wrong with this statement????? ??

Enjoy.

I always use hammer...just not BFH's or even steel for that matter on these motors. A light brass hammer is perfect.

BUt his crank was definately BFH'd.?

Well clearly that was a reference to a 4 stroke part....?? Not sure of the problem. I tend to find 2 strokes boring to work on because there so simple, so I dive into 4 stroke motors, still not complicated but a little more involved.

And that was more for reference of the workings of the company. Seems like they just want to brush people off.

Edited by Joshx221

• 1 month later...

Holy crap! It has now happened to me! But I had it installed at a local shop already! I was putting it all back together and .... no threads on the end of the crankshaft. Max78, what did you end up doing? Return it?

I wondering if I can just put a snap ring and washer on it now. Anyone??