2012 WR250R--Front Brake Caliper Alignment WTH?

Ok so no big deal, right? Time to change out the front tire on the WRR, before I remove the front axle, I push on the front brake caliper to widen the brake pads a little to help with the wheel reinstall. I remove the axle and front wheel, change the tire, no problems. Go to put the front wheel back on..... and when I spin the wheel, it doesn't rotate smoothly and I hear a scraping sound (like metal on metal). I look and investigate, remove the caliper, remove the pads, reinstall the pads reinstall the wheel and still get this sound.

I looked closer and saw the metal clip/shield that is on the top of the brake caliper where the brake pads slide in, a little bit of the metal piece was hanging out, like maybe 1/32" or less, but it was enough to tick and scrape on the rotor. I removed the metal clip/shield and no more ticking, but the wheel still didn't turn very well.

Took it out for a spin and within a mile, the rotor was very hot and there were metal shavings and part of the front disc rotor was shiny, on one side.

I'm kind of puzzled as to what makes this front wheel install so special and unlike the 100's I have done in the past on many dirt bikes. What am I missing here? could it be the fork tubes out of alignment? Front brake caliper out of alignment? The brake pads are like new, but are they hosed? I have attached a photo so have a look. Thanks.

100MEDIA36IMAG1327.jpg

If everything was spinning free before you took the wheel off, then the only answer is that you either damaged something during the process, or some how reassembled it incorrectly.

The spacers on either side of the wheel are not the same, they are of slightly different thicknesses. If you got those backwards, I can see how that could cause clearance issues.

Taking it for a ride was just about the worst thing you could have done. It looks like you chewed up the rotor some. Try swapping the spacers from side to side, and see if the wheel spins freely and go from there.

While laying in bed, staring at the ceiling and thinking about what could possibly be the issue, the possibility that I got the spacers mixed up could be the culprit. That is the only thing I think could be different.

Oh and thanks for the info. I think the rotor will be fine.

While laying in bed, staring at the ceiling and thinking about what could possibly be the issue, the possibility that I got the spacers mixed up could be the culprit. That is the only thing I think could be different.

Oh and thanks for the info. I think the rotor will be fine.