Need opinions on this bike carrier

I'm planning a camping trip this summer and am brain storming how to add my dirt bike to the list of things I'm bringing with me. I have a regular cab Dodge Ram with a 6.5' bed. Last summer I bought a topper for it and fit our camping gear and two dogs in the back with no problems. My wife and I were in the cab nice and comfortable.

This year I have a KX450 to bring with and I'll need to transport it from Denver to Taylor Park (about 3-4 hours away), and don't have room at home for a trailer. I saw this bike carrier and liked the idea of having the extra rack to put my gas can, gear box and other stuff on it. Has anyone used this type before? It has low ratings on Amazon but most were from people trying to put big scooters on them (all the weight is in the back so it twists the carrier). I'm unsure about the single-point attachment so I might add chains and turnbuckles diagonally from the hitch ring holes to the frame of the carrier to stop any swaying.

Pic:

51zJHRzlaEL._SX385_.jpg

Link:

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B008OJ85M4

Edited by jermag24

Not a good idea!!! I am in the same boat as you, and researched these things alot! Adding one of these things , and extending your hitch will drop the hitch rating in half . Now add your camper to it. There will be a huge amount of load on the rear of the truck. A better idea is to mount the bike across the A frame on the front of the trailer, and then load the trailer with your gear and stuff towards the rear, to offset the weight.

I don't have a trailer, the picture is from the page on Amazon that shows you can tow behind it. I would just have the carrier in my hitch, then one bike and some gear on the carrier. I'm not towing anything.

I'd feel alot more comfortable if the bike channel and the mesh were flip-flopped. Keep the bike as close the hitch (less leverage and weight extension) as possible. That looks a loooong way out there.

To help the wobble on my carrier with heavy pig bikes on there, I run a strap from the inboard side (closest to the truck) of the bars to the safety chain loops on the hitch, then run another from the outboard handlebar, under the carrier, to the same loop on the hitch. Cinch down. It can't move now.

Edited by Chickenhauler

I'd feel alot more comfortable if the bike channel and the mesh were flip-flopped. Keep the bike as close the hitch (less leverage and weight extension) as possible. That looks a loooong way out there.

I was thinking the same thing, but I can't find a carrier with the bike close to the truck and still have a rack for carrying things. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I wish I had room for a trailer at home :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing, but I can't find a carrier with the bike close to the truck and still have a rack for carrying things. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I wish I had room for a trailer at home :rolleyes:

Get a normal carrier and weld a small basket onto an extension?

Or a normal carrier and attach a smaller basket between the bike and truck? There's a fair amount of room there because the handlebars have to clear the rear of the vehicle.

To make the bike strap solid onto those carriers mount a stand under the bike. I had a customer come here with one of those carriers. He was a welder, so he made it. He had a stand, much like the brace you place in your forks between the wheel, and triple clamp, but under the the frame of the bike. Once the suspension was compressed by strapping the bike down, and the bike squatting onto his brace, that bike was rock solid on that carrier! Keep the bike as close to the truck as you can. The further the weight is away from your truck, the more the weight is multiplied by leverage, and the more it will affect the way your truck drives

I like the idea of adding gear baskets to a regular hitch carrier. You wouldn't necessarily even weld them on, you could probably bolt something up.

I own the aluminum bike carrier that discount ramps sells for Around 160. It puts the bike a little closer to the truck since it doesn't have a storage area. It works pretty good. I have a chevy colorado and the bike blocks the tail lights. I went down to harborfreight and bought a set of magnetic tow lights and I zip tie them to the bike tires with huge zip ties. So I have the added safety of night driving. My only worry was some moron rear ending my truck and destroying my bike. This carrier comes in handy like when I have my cap on the truck and don't feel like taking it off.