Sign in to follow this  

2013 issue during race yesterday

45 minutes into a one hour GP was running wide open down a sand wash and bike started to stumble and cut out like it was running out of gas. This lasted about 10 seconds and then cleared up. No issue the rest of the race. Any ideas on what may have caused this?

45 minutes into a one hour GP was running wide open down a sand wash and bike started to stumble and cut out like it was running out of gas. This lasted about 10 seconds and then cleared up. No issue the rest of the race. Any ideas on what may have caused this?

Huh...maybe you just hit a spot of bad gas or something. I dunno. No other issues since?

That sounds like such a blast! Flat out on a sand wash sounds so awesome. I wish I could help more, but all I can offer is maybe your gas tank got too hot and led to cavitation in the fuel pump. It's kind of odd-ball, but it could explain a brief interruption in fuel supply. Makes more sense cause you're reving higher and going slower at that point. I would hate to think any sand actually got through the air filter, which could disrupt things temporarily, but 10 secs is a very long time for that to be an issue if it didn't manifest itself long-term. Do you have a heat shield for your tank? I have no real idea, but the gas thing is at least plausible.

I have heard about instances and have experienced the same with a Honda 150r. Its about gas boiling due to heat build up. The 150R has a really small tank and in Texas the summer is really hot. Simple solution though, there are tank heat sheilds that cover the bottom of the gas tank to keep engine heat from radiating to the tank. I opted to buy some stick on heat sheild tape from auto parts store and place that on bottom of tank which cured it completely. Cool fuel works better than hot or boiling fuel!

at 45 minutes, especially sand riding, would think the fuel was boiling to cause that issue. If you're running it that long you should also just spend the 20 bucks on a 1.6 bar rad cap so it doesnt boil coolant.