230f stock I think jetting question

Hey all. My buddy picked up a used 2007 230f. It hasn't run very well so I'm trying to help out.

It has a BBR D2 pipe, other than that it appears stock. Air box had the snorkel still in place. It has a 112 main 48 pilot and the needle is on the fourth clip which says C30F. I have cleaned the carb and it looks good. It starts easy and idles good but stumbles and sputters at about mid throttle. I removed the snorkel and it improved slightly. I have searched and read lots of posts. Sounds like a 120 main with the 48 and a 03-05 needle, snorkel removed is common. First I wondered if this sounds like a good starting point? I also don't know if these are stock jets and needle. Anyone know the stock needle code and jets?What is the needle code on the 03-05 one? Can't find that info in my searches..I have a feeling someone had rejetted it. Any suggestions for jetting would be great...can this thing run good with the C30F needle?

Great little bike hoping to get this thing running good. Thanks!

Bunsen

Coe jetting worked out on a dyno for a 230F= 120 Main, 45 pilot, '03-'05 needle w/ clip in 4th position from top. Needle # is 16012-KPS-901 (has C39A stamped on it). This will get you the best starting, idle, hp, etc. Toss the rest of the needles and jets, and this should take care of most or all of your problems and wake up the engine at the same time. You can then fine tune it next if need be. Maybe 48 pilot and 122 main due to the D2 pipe. This is with the airbox snorkel gone, and of course the exhaust baffle is already gone with the D2 pipe in its place.

Thanks Kunkle that's good info. Still interested to know if these are the stock jets and needle...

Thanks Kunkle that's good info. Still interested to know if these are the stock jets and needle...

Stock was 42 pilot, 102 main, and C30 needle. Very lean to get thru CA emissions, and the airbox snorkel is very restrictive- removing the snorkel makes it run even leaner. The 112 main and C30 needle in there now is still too lean to run properly and make best hp.

Coe jetting worked out on a dyno for a 230F= 120 Main, 45 pilot, '03-'05 needle w/ clip in 4th position from top.

I believe stock jetting is 42/102. I added a BBR D2 to our '05 230 last week. I was already running the jetting Kunkle mentioned (45/120 with old-style needle in 4th position, snorkel and baffle removed). Our elevation is about 500 - 800 feet and most of our riding is done in temps between 80-100 degrees. That setup was just slightly rich so I'm thinking it will be about right with the D2.

Greystoke

The jetting recommended above may work well as the other guys have mentioned but I went with the Dyno Jet Jet kit in my 07, tons of snap and pulls like a 250F all the way through 6th, only I went up one with a 45 pilot and it adjusted perfectly at 1.5 turns out at 20 foot about sealevel here where I live. No guess work and exactly what they recommend is what I went with, stage 2, I paid 59 bucks shipped, comes with about 8 jets, fuel screw tool, needle, e clip and a few other parts, bike runs awesome to say the least. Just another option for you.

The jetting recommended above may work well as the other guys have mentioned but I went with the Dyno Jet Jet kit in my 07, tons of snap and pulls like a 250F all the way through 6th, only I went up one with a 45 pilot and it adjusted perfectly at 1.5 turns out at 20 foot about sealevel here where I live. No guess work and exactly what they recommend is what I went with, stage 2, I paid 59 bucks shipped, comes with about 8 jets, fuel screw tool, needle, e clip and a few other parts, bike runs awesome to say the least. Just another option for you.

What jetting does that consists of? Pilot, needle # and clip position, and main size? Now I'm curious to know.

Thanks fellows great stuff. So I had decided to go with the 03-05 needle which I got along with a little brass sleeve and clip. I was wondering if I needed to change out the small sleeve or is the one in the carb the same ,looks like it would get pressed in to the carb. Is this what folks are calling the needle jet or is that the tube below the main screws into?

The dealer I ordered from also gave me the wrong pilot..different all together and the 120 main they said they had wasn't to be found when my buddy went to pick the stuff up. I was trying to shop local... should have just ordered the stuff. So is the main a keihen long hex 99113-GHB1200 and the pilot 99103-MT2-0450. The dealer is as clueless as me I guess. Thanks again!

Thanks fellows great stuff. So I had decided to go with the 03-05 needle which I got along with a little brass sleeve and clip. I was wondering if I needed to change out the small sleeve or is the one in the carb the same ,looks like it would get pressed in to the carb. Is this what folks are calling the needle jet or is that the tube below the main screws into?

The dealer I ordered from also gave me the wrong pilot..different all together and the 120 main they said they had wasn't to be found when my buddy went to pick the stuff up. I was trying to shop local... should have just ordered the stuff. So is the main a keihen long hex 99113-GHB1200 and the pilot 99103-MT2-0450. The dealer is as clueless as me I guess. Thanks again!

Forget the sleeve that came with the needle. No one uses it because they never wear out.

Right part # for the main jet- a 120. The # you have for a pilot does not look right. Should be: 99103-KPS-0450 – 45 Pilot jet