How many of you have work done by Eric Gorr? 2005 CR250R

Well, two hours before my initial hour mark to rebuild my bike, the engine went... bummed, but the bike was bought used and I put a solid 30 track hours on it. Piston skirt broke. I shut the engine off before it destroyed anything else, though it was already to late.

So, the bike needs a top and bottom end. Cylinder looks fine, other then a tiny mark towards the top on the cylinder. Looks like it will hone out though just fine.

As I'm rebuilding this thing I want to go all in of course, since its already getting the bottom and top end. I'm looking into Eric Gorr. His Port & Polish work and also the 265 kit as another option.

Who has all used him? Both Big Bores and Port jobs. If you guys have pics to post please do. Be nice to see his work. Another reason I want to send it to him is bc I did have some detonation problems and I hear his work will fix this?

Any input is awesome.

Also, the reason I started this thread was bc everyone in the search is "my friends, dads, cousin,..... has an Eric Gorr engine". I want some personal opinions on him and his work. I've already talked to him, seems cool so far.

Looks like you are thinking the same thing I am. I just picked up a 05 CR250 but have had all years 02-07 in the past. 05-07 is by far the best motor and suspension wise. I am looking at getting this bike more manageably since I have been spoiled with my 09 450. Right now going to keep the pipe stock, go with a PC shorty silencer, got a JD jet kit in there right now but have been kicking around the idea of going the PWK route, and also want to correct the squish. When I take the bike apart to do the squish I was going to go ahead and send the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr and get the "Mo betta" port job. Love these old CR's!

Edited by macz400

I've got two rides on it, got it back in March. I've been riding on carriage bolt tires with the snow so I'm not going to give the full report yet, but I will say in low uphill speeds where the bike would usually just chug, it just kept going no problem. I'll be riding on it for the upcoming long weekend and will try to remember to give another update.

I went with the 265 more low-mid on my 03, because I ride 90% single track, but many have sworn by the broad upgrade.

He was 2-weeks backed up when I got mine done, so you'll wanna get on it (though he had just moved over to Millenium so maybe things are getting better).

Sorry, no pics of it on this device except for superficial ones.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1368404630.973981.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1368404759.456008.jpg

Do it and fix the squish band! It'll be a 450 eater afterwards :thumbsup:

I've had him do an 01 80 into a 105 with the low/mid port. Unbelievable engine in that little bike. I would bet it has every bit if not more low end torque than an 4 stroke 80 and has a ton of top end as well. I put a flywheel weight on it to tone it down a bit and I would recommend it to any young kid rider because of how the power is delivered. It sounds so healthy and everyone that has ridden it says it is the strongest super mini they have ever ridden. I also had him do a 144cc bb kit on my 94 cr125 and got the "mo betta" porting on that one. Also an awesome upgrade for a small bore 2 stroke. I ended up buying a 38mm pwk airstriker carb for it from a 99cr250 and getting the JD jet kit for the carb. I have it jetted so crisp, no splooge out the pipe and it revs to the moon with the larger carb. I was a bit disappointed in the loss of low end with the larger carb so I bought a 3mm exhaust spacer and installed that and I think it added back the loss in low end with the larger carb and I fell no loss in top end with that set up. I love everything about it. If I wasn't dead set on getting an 05-07 cr250 at some point in time, this 144 would probably never be sold. I know that neither is a 250 but I can tell you that Gorr knows what he is doing. If you send it to him, you will not be disappointed in his port work.

I have heard lots of great things about Eric Gorr's work and many of our local amatuers are sponsored and have their mod motors done by him (2 stroke). He really knows a lot about the Honda two strokes and can fix what the factory failed to do. What is nice about EG is that you can chose the porting package that you want and is tailored to your type of riding. However, if you don't chose to go with Eric, Pro Circuit is the next best place to get the 05-07 CR250's done. PC has done a lot of work and testing with McGrath in getting these motors to rip. PC's porting and head modification package is a little more money, but if you want a fire breather then go with PC. Not saying Eric is not going to do a good job and make your bike fast, but the porting package and head mods that PC does for the CR250 is the same as what they had on MC2's bike and is more for the fast amatuer, a level, pro rider that is going to ride the bike on top most of the time. If you don't like that, then thats too bad because they only offer one porting package. That's the only downfall and is kind of crappy, but PC does great work. Also I wouldn't hesitate to get the JD airstriker carb, makes jetting way easier and makes the bike sing.

Yeah I had port and head work done by EG back in December. For an average rider like myself I was looking for a more managable powerband which in my opinion the stock set up did not have. Especially coming off a 4 stroke. Not only he delivered but the price of his work was more than fair! He's also a pretty honest guy, he couldv'e easly said that my 10yr old cylinder needed replating and gave some business to his partners Millenium but assured it wasn't nessesary and a diamond hone would do. I have to admit the turn around time was a little long even for the winter months but that's sort of a give in when dealing with a high profile business and should be expected. All in all the guy did a great job and is so far since I've owned the bike the only other person that I trusted besides myself that has touched my motor. That right there says a lot.

03 265 here with the mo'betta porting. I also have the jd pwk airstriker. The bike has a very smooth and controllable power delivery. I can lug it in the single track and it just rips when you go WOT. The power delivery is much smoother and longer than stock and I actually think it made it much easier to ride fast.

The power band port I was looking to get is the mid-top end. I ride only tracks and I'm at a fast B level. Looks like the word is to get it done. For $225 it's an awesome price for the honing, port and my bike actually to run right with pump gas. I get a lot of detonation problems on my bike...

Wonder how intense the mid-too port is? I have not heard one person get this. It's always the all of port or low-mid

Eric fixed the squish and ported my 06 250 and my buddies 04. Both bikes also had the AS carb installed. With these two mods it transforms the motor. It was well worth the money.

The power band port I was looking to get is the mid-top end. I ride only tracks and I'm at a fast B level. Looks like the word is to get it done. For $225 it's an awesome price for the honing, port and my bike actually to run right with pump gas. I get a lot of detonation problems on my bike...

Wonder how intense the mid-too port is? I have not heard one person get this. It's always the all of port or low-mid

The only reason most get the Mo betta or low/mid ports is because most riders are either riding play bikes or trail bikes. If you are strictly outdoors MX, you will love mid/top.

The only reason most get the Mo betta or low/mid ports is because most riders are either riding play bikes or trail bikes. If you are strictly outdoors MX, you will love mid/top.

Awesome. Wonder if Ill need to change my gearing up to a 13/48 with the porting? Already feel like I need to, but with the added power I'm thinking it will be a must.

What gearing is everyone else running?

Ill be sending my stuff out hopefully next week. Ill post a solid thread with pics and all when I have it all since there's not any or much of them on TT

The tracks in Texas have evolved from wide open old school MX, to a hybrid of MX and SX. This change came with the advent of the 4-strokes because their low end torque makes jumping obstacles right out of the corner much easier. If you tune your 2-stroke for mid/top, you'll make it harder to negotiate this type of modern track. A low/mid tune works much better on these modern mx tracks.

If I was going to have EG do an engine for a serious MX racer, I would suggest a low/mid port job with a race gas head. That's essentially what I have and one of the fastest amateurs in the country, a multi-time Loretta's Champ, has been riding my bike lately, and he loves it.

Edited by CamP

The tracks in Texas have evolved from wide open old school MX, to a hybrid of MX and SX. This change came with the advent of the 4-strokes because their low end torque makes jumping obstacles right out of the corner much easier. If you tune your 2-stroke for mid/top, you'll make it harder to negotiate this type of modern track. A low/mid tune works much better on these modern mx tracks.

If I was going to have EG do an engine for a serious MX racer, I would suggest a low/mid port job with a race gas head. That's essentially what I have and one of the fastest amateurs in the country, a multi-time Loretta's Champ, has been riding my bike lately, and he loves it.

That makes a lot of sense. When you get ready to send it to him, call and talk to him about your riding style and the tracks you go to, you may like a different port than what you initially imagine. (talking to CMB#23)

Edited by frdbtr

Had EG do my 03. Had cylinder plated, exhaust bridge welded, squish set and mo better porting. Have only rode once since work done. Its much smoother power. Need to ride again, rode easy since all top and bottom end new. Try and post some pics.1368559433623.jpg1368559486877.jpg

1368559526519.jpg

1368559563135.jpg

1368559627099.jpg

1368559666368.jpg

FYI

Last time I talked to EGorr about punching my 05 out to a 265, he explain to me that this is not doable for the '05--'07

Something about the one piece powervalve section bcoming too wide or too large after the bore is cut oversize. This is for the '05-'07 only.

FYI

Last time I talked to EGorr about punching my 05 out to a 265, he explain to me that this is not doable for the '05--'07

Something about the one piece powervalve section bcoming too wide or too large after the bore is cut oversize. This is for the '05-'07 only.

He told me different? Last week he said a 265 is fine with the 2005 CR250R's. Btw, I will need to bore mine bc my cylinder is shot even more after I looked at it again and cleaned it up.

Went ahead and called him again just to make sure on the 265. Have no idea where you got your information on the 2005-2007s not being able to have the 265...

Ill be sending my stuff out to him Tuesday for a 265 kit and mid-top port. Should be good. Have a 3-4 week wait though, but I will post a build thread with pics with it all when I have it in my hands

I've got two rides on it, got it back in March. I've been riding on carriage bolt tires with the snow so I'm not going to give the full report yet, but I will say in low uphill speeds where the bike would usually just chug, it just kept going no problem. I'll be riding on it for the upcoming long weekend and will try to remember to give another update.

I went with the 265 more low-mid on my 03, because I ride 90% single track, but many have sworn by the broad upgrade.

He was 2-weeks backed up when I got mine done, so you'll wanna get on it (though he had just moved over to Millenium so maybe things are getting better).

Sorry, no pics of it on this device except for superficial ones.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1368404630.973981.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1368404759.456008.jpg

What do you do about top end kits? Do you have to go through EG and thats it? Or does he give you part numbers for Wiseco pistons/ gaskets or any other brands? This might be a deal breaker for me and the 265 kit if the only person I can get my parts from is EG...[/size]

Edited by CMB#23