New sprocket = new chian?

I have a 2005 YZ250F and the sprocket I pulled off is a 48 tooth. I do mostly trail riding so I picked up a 50 tooth sprocket. I'm just in the midst of installing it... and noticing I can't line up the axle with the guide holes through the wheel.

Now that I think about it, I probably need a longer chain, right? Or should this work fine, and I obviously still need to move things around?

Screw the adjusters all the way into the swingarm see if it gives you enough slack.if not you need a new chain.

put the axle in first then set adjusters loose enough to put on chain, tighten accordingly.

Unless the sprocket is new than yes. Remember a stretched chain will not sit in the grooves all the way and will ride on top off the teeth. Depending how stretched the chain is, you could ruin a sprocket in one ride

I have a 2005 YZ250F and the sprocket I pulled off is a 48 tooth. I do mostly trail riding so I picked up a 50 tooth sprocket. I'm just in the midst of installing it... and noticing I can't line up the axle with the guide holes through the wheel.

Now that I think about it, I probably need a longer chain, right? Or should this work fine, and I obviously still need to move things around?

Whenever you replace a sprocket or chain you have to replace all of it = Rear sprocket, front sprocket & chain. That way it all wears as 1 & everything lines up like it should. If you replace just the chain on old sprockets or new sprockets on old chain you will ruin your stuff & have to start all over...

You could get reversible axle blocks to move your axle further ahead.

Steve

You need a new chain and front sprocket to go with the new rear sprocket anyway, but I'm betting the 2 extra teeth are going to make it a no choice thing to get any kind correct of slack adjustment.