Hondabond Question

So what do you guys use this hondabond on. My old YZ250 had Yamabond on the case halves with no gaskets and was wondering what the use for hondabond which is probably the same as the yama stuff. THanks

Places where the case half's meet like under the cylinder base gasket. The manual calls for it. You could also use it as cheap insurance on the case gaskets although it's not necessary.

Hondabond is great for cases--just don't use it on the gasket for the reed cage. The fuel will partially dissolve it and cause it to come of in blogs and stick to the reeds, causing them to flutter at rpm. Been there, done that...

Thank you so much guys. So so I put a thin coat on both mating surfaces of the cylinder base and have the gasket in between.

If I recall, there are a few different hondabond numbers. Which would be correct/best for case half gaskets, and under the cylinder where the cases join?

If I recall, there are a few different hondabond numbers. Which would be correct/best for case half gaskets, and under the cylinder where the cases join?

When i went to the dealer they only had 1 type of honda case sealer

Hondabond is just grey silicone which is also available for cheaper than the stealership at your local auto parts store and is the same grey silicone all big manufacturers use.

In the auto parts store, they call it "import silicone" by "Permatex". Same shit that the dealer sells, but theirs just says "Honda" on it.

Do yourself a favor and save some cash!

http://www.marlincrawler.com/hardware-tools/chemicals/silicone-ultra-gray

I just went through my manual and checked sections where it exlains on joining case halves, and base gaskets, and there is no mention of using any type sealant. Seems to be a debate on if ya should use it. I am gonna clean my surfaces up today I hope, so I can have it ready when parts arrive.

I have a full tube of permatex ultra black. I use it on the exhaust between the silencer, and chamber. I used it on the vehicles too. Good stuff. I figure it'd work.

I just went through my manual and checked sections where it exlains on joining case halves, and base gaskets, and there is no mention of using any type sealant. Seems to be a debate on if ya should use it. I am gonna clean my surfaces up today I hope, so I can have it ready when parts arrive.

I have a full tube of permatex ultra black. I use it on the exhaust between the silencer, and chamber. I used it on the vehicles too. Good stuff. I figure it'd work.

Don't use silicone as a gasket dressing for the case gasket. Silicone is soluble in gasoline.

Hondabond is just grey silicone which is also available for cheaper than the stealership at your local auto parts store and is the same grey silicone all big manufacturers use.

In the auto parts store, they call it "import silicone" by "Permatex". Same shit that the dealer sells, but theirs just says "Honda" on it.

Do yourself a favor and save some cash!

http://www.marlincrawler.com/hardware-tools/chemicals/silicone-ultra-gray

You sure about that? Pretty sure it has an acetone or solvent carrier that would just eat silicone ...but hey im no chemicals expert

And i paid $7 for the tube of hondabond and its lasted well over a year as i have used it in other engines besides my bike

Edited by terrobelone

You sure about that? Pretty sure it has an acetone or solvent carrier that would just eat silicone ...but hey im no chemicals expert

And i paid $7 for the tube of hondabond and its lasted well over a year as i have used it in other engines besides my bike

he's confusing two different products. Hondabond 4 and Yamabond 4 are not silicone based. Permatex makes an equivalent product called Motoseal.

0000_Permatex_MotoSeal_--.jpg

Edited by CamP

Ok, to be safe, what hondabond is suggested? 4 or 4HT?

Ok, to be safe, what hondabond is suggested? 4 or 4HT?

Hondabond 4 is the gasket dressing that you want for cases. It is the same as Yamabond 4 and Permatex Motoseal 1.

Hondabond 4HT is high temp silicone, which is only used on the powervalve housing cover on the 02-07 CR250.

Edited by CamP

Hondabond 4 is the gasket dressing that you want for cases. It is the same as Yamabond 4 and Permatex Motoseal 1.

Hondabond 4HT is high temp silicone, which is only used on the powervalve housing cover on the 02-07 CR250.

Can you elaborate on the powervalve housing? I put a little of the Bronze RTV liquid gasket on the PV housing, but I didn't think it was that integral.

Can you elaborate on the powervalve housing? I put a little of the Bronze RTV liquid gasket on the PV housing, but I didn't think it was that integral.

Actually, only the 05-07 has the removable powervalve cover in front of the cylinder. If you remove this, the manual suggests using Hondabond HT on the mating surfaces.

Actually, only the 05-07 has the removable powervalve cover in front of the cylinder. If you remove this, the manual suggests using Hondabond HT on the mating surfaces.

Cool, thanks. I was just thinking of the RC cover.

Thanks Cam for all the help. So if I can get yamabond cheaper from another local dealer, I should just grab it instead of Hondabond? The new honda dealer here wants 13 bucks for the hondabond. I dont plan to use much with the oem center gaskets, just enough to film each side of the gasket. After the crank n tranny is in the right half, I'll skim that case, lay the gasket and do the left the same and close it up/pull crank into left side. Sounds easy enough, but I hear the sealer dries quick. Hope I am quick enough

Thanks Cam for all the help. So if I can get yamabond cheaper from another local dealer, I should just grab it instead of Hondabond? The new honda dealer here wants 13 bucks for the hondabond. I dont plan to use much with the oem center gaskets, just enough to film each side of the gasket. After the crank n tranny is in the right half, I'll skim that case, lay the gasket and do the left the same and close it up/pull crank into left side. Sounds easy enough, but I hear the sealer dries quick. Hope I am quick enough

Yes, Yamabond 4, Hondabond 4 and Permatex Motoseal are all the same product. I found the Motoseal at my local O'reilly auto parts store for less than either Yamabond or Hondabond, after I ran out of Hondabond.

When using it on a centercase gasket, use it very sparingly. If you overdo it, it will cause the gasket to squeeze out of place.

When using it on a centercase gasket, use it very sparingly. If you overdo it, it will cause the gasket to squeeze out of place.

I hope to put it on just enough to make the gasket sticky. Not enough to squish out really. Sound right?

I hope to put it on just enough to make the gasket sticky. Not enough to squish out really. Sound right?

When I'm applying it, I use toothpicks to lay down a narrow bead.