2012 KTM300 STUCK in 1st gear (at 20 hours) PICS - Need Advice !

Well my "new" low hour KTM 300XC decided to stop shifting on the weekend and get "stuck" in 1st gear. Nice .. just what you always want to find after 20 hours of casual trail riding ..

Anyway, I NEED SOME ADVICE

Stripped it down today, removed clutch basket, side cover, and this is what I found ...

IMG_1229.jpg

As you can see where the tip of the screw driver is, the sliding plate that engages the shift locating drum is STUCK and not sliding out completely. Therefore it will not engage to shift. Note SPACE at tip of screwdriver. OR the locating drum is not rotating properly to allow the plate to slide out and engage.

IMG_1230.jpg

After a bit of manipulation, I got it to "pop" into the proper engagement position which can be seen in the pic above. Note the space at the tip of the screwdriver is not gone, and the sliding plate now engages .. meaning it will shift properly again.

After going through the gears while the bike was on the stand, the sliding plate KEPT GETTING STUCK ... would go back to looking like 1st pic above

Any input into what the reason is would be appreciated

The return spring is still intact, and the assembly now slides very smoothly by hand, but I cannot figure out why either the

a) Slide mechanism is jamming

OR

B) The shift locating drum is not rotating properly to allow for perfect engagement

The LAST thing I want it to put it all back together and have it happen again. Sure its working now, but I did nothing to "fix" what the underlying problem was, and why it happened in the 1st place.

Here us a microfiche of the mechanism

http://partsfinder.o...FTING-MECHANISM

Any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by supervokes

in a situation like this i would just use alittle common sense :thumbsup: . take the gear shifter off and pull that shaft out and look at the sliding plates to see if theres a bur or sharp edge or something binding it up. check for abnormal wear marks were it might be rubbing hard. stretch the spring alittle so its applying extra force on the plate. while that shaft is out just manualy with you hand turn the shift star and see if it shifts through the gears ok. probly have to turn the clutch basket shaft or front sprocket simultaniously while turning the shift star so it will click to each gear

It does not appear to be related to the sliding plate ... its smooth.

Appears to be more an issue with alignment on the shift locating drum ... pins do not want to align.

I have never been overly impressed by the shifting of this bike (coming off a CRF) so I was unsure if this was normal.

Watch the video and note how the locating lever gets hung up on the shift drum ... watch the roller. This is not normal shifting ...

Anybody with any insight :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

in case the vid above does not work .. here is another link

Edited by supervokes

I have never been into the 250's tranny but it sure looks like the shift drum is hanging. The shift stopper should spin the drum until it seats in neutral or the next shift seat. It is hanging on the peaks.

Edited by acer01

I have never been into the 250's tranny but it sure looks like the shift drum is hanging. The shift stopper should spin the drum until it seats in neutral or the next shift seat. It is hanging on the peaks.

That's kind of what I am thinking too the more I look at it, but this should NOT be happening on a bike with 20 hours !

I am a bit stumped as to the next step to consider or even what to troubleshoot :unsure:

I am still confused on how the bike could have been stuck in FIRST gear though, when there are really no peak to get hung up on

The last thing I want to do is put it back together and have it happen again, but I really do not know where to go from here

Edited by supervokes

It could be many different things. The fit between the shift forks and drum is very tight. Could be a loose shaving trapped in the groove causing trouble. Just a shot in the dark but I would button it up in any gear but first. Put in fresh oil and warm it up . Shift back and forth several times between...let's say 2nd and 3rd. Drain the oil and refill. Maybe clearing the shift groove at 1st gear location. I would at least try that before digging any deeper.

Not sure if this is the same problem that your shifter is encountering, but thought it may help.

After i read your post i remember seeing this vid and thought it may help.

I think as harryhandshake said, stretching the spring seems like a good idea.

Any way good luck dude!

Edited by Mabin-300

When it hangs up at what looks like 2nd gear, with the locating lever on the drum point(as opposed to in a half moon recess), what will it do if you rotate the shift locating drum by hand?

the guy in that video is a moron. if you notice the only time it doesnt shift is when he quits spinning the shaft. shaft has to be spinning, like i said in the first post

the guy in that video is a moron. if you notice the only time it doesnt shift is when he quits spinning the shaft. shaft has to be spinning, like i said in the first post

Ummm .. that is me trying to help you guys out. :rant: with some real video. It holds up even if its spinning sometimes. Try filming, spinning, and shifting at the same time. If I had 3 hands, maybe it would have gone smoother - lol

You would not want to be around to call me a moron when my bike jammed in 1st gear in the middle of nowhere :p:lol:

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I will try stretching the spring and filing the tabs a bit :thumbsup::ride: ... ... going to need a new gasket ... of course it ripped

Anybody think that the filing of the tabs or tangs (In the video link in post #7 above) is a bad idea ... seems a bit odd (spring stretching makes sense)

Edited by supervokes

Yeah not sure why he files the tabs?. But it seems like he had the same problem as your having..

Stretching the spring makes a butt load of sense though, because the spring isn't pushing the plate the whole way in..

You could probably remove and stretch the spring with the shaft in the bike.. See how ya go anyway.

Yeah not sure why he files the tabs?. But it seems like he had the same problem as your having..

Stretching the spring makes a butt load of sense though, because the spring isn't pushing the plate the whole way in..

You could probably remove and stretch the spring with the shaft in the bike.. See how ya go anyway.

Yeah I am thinking the spring will help.

Who knows, in the end maybe a bit of debris somehow got jammed in the sliding plates. That would seem to make the most logical sense on the surface.

Will try stretching the spring, maybe filing the tangs .. (unless I hear a good reason not too) and button it back up.

This is a real PIA process to do ... hope it never happens again :ride:

:lol: i didnt know it was you in the video . looks like it shifts fine to me. i suspect the sliding plates got hung up and that was your problem or the spring needs stretched. when it got stuck in first gear did the shifter still go up but it didnt change the gear ?

the reason it gets stuck half way between a gear is because you quit turning the shaft and the gear cant slide into the next one

If nothing else above works, my recommendation would be to replace the shift shaft assembly. They are known for breaking at the weld anyway so having a spare is not a bad idea either. You get a good look at how everything mates up when you take it off too.

:lol: i didnt know it was you in the video . looks like it shifts fine to me. i suspect the sliding plates got hung up and that was your problem or the spring needs stretched. when it got stuck in first gear did the shifter still go up but it didnt change the gear ?

the reason it gets stuck half way between a gear is because you quit turning the shaft and the gear cant slide into the next one

You were 100% correct ... I watched my own video after you mentioned this, and did the homer simpson DOH slap to the fore :doh: head - lol

I believe some debris got wedged between the sliding plates .. almost fluke. I had to actually press hard to get the plates to release (the first pic with the space is what it looked like when jammed in 1st .. the tangs were not engaging ) ... once they did, everything is smooth again.

Thanks for the advice on the spring. I did stretch it out.

What a PIA job doing all this for such an easy fix. On a positive note, the bike is back together and shifting better than ever ! Also had a chance to weld the PV pin while I had it apart.

Hopefully the next time I am in this deep, is when I am installing a new Hinson basket my wife gives me permission to buy :ride: ... unfortunately the changes of the latter are about the same as the former :lol:

Thanks everybody for their advice and Mabin300 for the video link. :thumbsup:

Edited by supervokes

When my 380 did this many years ago the bolt on the shift star was loose. It wasn't very loose either. Have you checked that?

I have seen simular issues with other bikes and in most of the cases the rider heavy footed the shift lever when landing off a jump or drop off, causing the shaft or linkage to bend or warp enough to hang-up.

Not saying this is the case with your issue, just adding a possible reason...I agree with ordering up new a shift shaft.

did you file? what to file really?