Sprocket/chain question (photo)

I am ordering a new chain and sprockets and looked at my bike this evening and was wondering if anyone's c/s sprocket runs this close to the rubber on the swingarm (Not sure if this picture will work). My bike is an 06 S with 19,000 miles.

Also, looking at chains online is overwhelming. Any suggestions? I ride 85% on the road. The gearing on the bike now is 15/44 (that way when I got it). Is there any gearing that you guys run that you think may be more suitable? I try to stay off of the freeway and on the curvy back roads.

photo39_zpsc00db6aa.jpg

15/44 is what i use with 17's and i use the 15/47 with the 21/18 wheels, i have a bit of much up there, it eventually goes away, not sure if its ok tho, i havent had a problem. and you would want an O-ring chain, just make sure to clean it after being in the dirt =)

If you aren't doing highway riding, your 15/44 is good. 15/41 is sort of a compromise for a bike that will be on the highway some. I run 15/38 on mine, but I ride a fair amount of highway.

**edit** Sorry forgot not everyone runs 17s!, my gearing advice above is for SM wheels. Oops! **/edit**

Dont skimp on a chain, a chain failure can be catastrophic. I just put a RK 520 XSO chain on my bike, with a rivet link.

The sprocket being that close to the guide is normal. Mine fit between a groove in the guide.

I would replace the sprockets as well if you do a chain.

Edited by OhioYJ

That is some weird looking chain with holes in the link plates and it is really warn out. The sprocket clearance is normal and the sprocket is warn. 15/44 is probably good gearing for you.

That is some weird looking chain with holes in the link plates and it is really warn out. The sprocket clearance is normal and the sprocket is warn. 15/44 is probably good gearing for you.

That chain is toast! I have adjusted it twice in the past couple of weeks. It is a "primary drive" brand chain from rocky mountain I believe. I am definitely going to have to replace both sprockets as well.

Edited by BPayne8

That chain looks pretty bad but this is what a worn out sprocket looks like. :lol:

100_2528.jpg

Primary Drive - That is what I thought but was not sure. I like RK520XW chain. Any of the brand name sealed chains are good. The Primary Drive brand sprockets seem to be good. I do not know anything about the Primary Drive brand chain. How did it last?

That is the ultimate warn sprocket when they start to loose teeth.

That chain looks pretty bad but this is what a worn out sprocket looks like. :lol:

100_2528.jpg

Uh, yeh.....that looks scary!

100_2528.jpg

Do you really think that sprocket is worn out..???.... :thinking::confused::shocked::rolleyes::D

Shoot !!

That's looks Nasty

Primary Drive - That is what I thought but was not sure. I like RK520XW chain. Any of the brand name sealed chains are good. The Primary Drive brand sprockets seem to be good. I do not know anything about the Primary Drive brand chain. How did it last?

That chain was on the bike when I got it. I've put over 2,000 miles on it and only adjusted it here lately as it has worn out.