Sign in to follow this  

Why Motocross?

What makes you guys love racing or just riding motocross? Why do you continue to race even with the risks and price?

I ask this same question to myself often. The only thing I can come up with is nothing I have ever done gives me the thrill and enjoyment that I get from it. (Thats when things go good no injurys lol)

Well, my dad rode as a kid, then took a break from it. Then about 12 years ago when I was 4 he got back into it and that's when I got my first bike, we've been riding ever since.

What makes you guys love racing or just riding motocross? Why do you continue to race even with the risks and price?

I don't race MX, but love "woods" riding/racing. I imagine the risks are similar, as far consequences from crashing...I've been an adrenaline junky my entire life. Not to mention the fact that I love to ride. While hitting jumps on a MX track scare the crap out of me, I got no problem rippin' through single-track, with trees only a couple of inches from my body. Go figure. Money? It cost plenty, but what sport doesn't. I've been a motorsports enthusiast since I was a kid. Regardless of the risks, Dirtbike riding and/or racing is a sport I can afford. My purpose-built Jeep used to cost more per day, than my bike costs a month.
  • Like 1

Because it's reasonably entertaining....

• Like 1

It's just plain fun. You get to go fast, jump high, roost (or eat roost). You can't think of anything else other than riding and it's a stress relief. It's a good bonding experience with friends and my dad.

Why anything?

Why do people collect spoons; why do people base jump; why do people garden?

Because they get something out of it. A feeling of community, a thrill, to learn responsibility, etc....

Motorcycles have a little bit of everything. Community- How many times have you talked to someone just because they ride. Thrill- riding fast with lots of power. Zen- its hard to think about work, school, life when your going 65mph through the woods. Responsibility- taking care of your bike.

As far as risk go thats life. If your worried about risk you could sit in your house all day and not go anywhere but you would probably go insane and develop some disease from not moving. Lifes crazy like that.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan
  • Like 2

This is like asking why you love playing/watching football.. Except motocross is way more entertaining!

For me it's the fact that it keeps me buisy and always happy when I'm riding.. I can be soo pissed off and just hop on one of my bikes and in a matter of minutes be grinning from ear to ear.. Can I explain it? No probably not.. Yea it's dangerous but walking down steps is dangerous? Motorcross or riding for most of us isn't just something to do. For alot of us it's a way of life.

I don't race MX, but love "woods" riding/racing. I imagine the risks are similar, as far consequences from crashing...I've been an adrenaline junky my entire life. Not to mention the fact that I love to ride. While hitting jumps on a MX track scare the crap out of me, I got no problem rippin' through single-track, with trees only a couple of inches from my body. Go figure. Money? It cost plenty, but what sport doesn't. I've been a motorsports enthusiast since I was a kid. Regardless of the risks, Dirtbike riding and/or racing is a sport I can afford. My purpose-built Jeep used to cost more per day, than my bike costs a month.

Man you got that right. My Built K5 blazer does more sitting that wheeling, because the cost of gas for 1 weekend would fuel my bikes and small pick up for a month of riding.

The FPM (fun per mile) is a lot more on bikes than 4 wheeling trucks anyways...but I'll never get rid of it.

When your jumping triple jumps, nothing else matters.

at least it better not. Lol

Its the escape from the rat race, its the adrenaline , the solidarity while riding, the exercise. Its just fun.

Best of all, you can't hear the old lady nagging when you rev it up.

I agree with all of these replies. I started racing this Mama season and i went from an crf80 to a crf250r last july, so i am really slow, but i love racing and practicing mx. I think the desire to get better, to hit bigger jumps and to beat my previous times is why i like it so much. I have ridden trials for the past 8 years, but trails didn`t give me nearly the enjoyment and the drive to get better that MX does.

Because odds are that I am probably going to go pro. for real though its the only adventure I can get living in a first world country and not being part of a gang. It is the only reason that I need money in the first place, so quitting it just because it is too expensive would not make sense. It would be like selling your car for gas money. I don't give a &%$#@! if I get hurt, because the only reason that I do not want to get hurt is because it would prevent me from riding. Again if I quit riding to avoid injury, that is as proactive as selling your car so that you can afford gas money.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

I was infected with moto disease at a young age. Doctors said they have yet to find a cure for this. They say the only way out is the box tossed in clay. I feel it in my veins every minute of the die, and I love it ;)