Rear SM sub frame questions...

So my buddy got into an accident last weekend, a car pulled out in front of him, he is still a new rider so he grabbed a handful of front brake and went over the handlebars. He is ok, broke his elbow, but it could have been worse considering he landed on his face.

Anyway, minimal damage to the bike. Main thing I noticed is the rear sub frame is bent to the left (so much so that the muffler sits on the rear tire when you sit on the bike). So I was wondering what to expect as far as repair expenses go. His insurance will be covering it and mailing him a check once they decide on an amount. Should he buy a new OEM sub frame? What would that cost? Anybody here have a used one in good shape for sale? Any thing we should be aware of doing the swap? Any insight on issue would appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by EvanNaculum

I just bent mine also in the woods this weekend. Kicks over to the left. I'm thinking about just trying to bend it back.Lean it up against a wall and push. I'm not sure what this might do to the bike on terms of safety or rideability. I'm interested to hear what answers you get.

Question covered in detail a few days ago. Scroll back or search.

My first question is why is your buddies' insurance covering him when the other car's driver pulled out in front of him; was the other driver uninsured? He should take it to a dealer and have them determine what needs to be replaced. Once he gets a check, if he finds something else damaged it may be hard to get those additional part(s) covered.

My first question is why is your buddies' insurance covering him when the other car's driver pulled out in front of him; was the other driver uninsured? He should take it to a dealer and have them determine what needs to be replaced. Once he gets a check, if he finds something else damaged it may be hard to get those additional part(s) covered.

The car didn't stop. So it was ruled a hit and run by the cops. It's a shop right now, getting a full crash estimate. And sorry Nobel, I didn't see this covered previously, I'll search for it.

I'd let the inurance cover the cost of a new one and if possible repair the old one. They bend pretty easy, just look over it real good for stress cracks first.