Sign in to follow this  

Diagnosing stiff fork valving '13 ktm500xcw

'13 KTM 500xcw 200hrs

Stock suspension except for x bushing which lowers the rear 1/2"

My weight with gear 75kg

Rear rider sag 115mm

Due to my location, I have to send my forks away to the US or AU if I want any revalving done.

The front suspension doesn't soak up rocky sections very well so I'm wondering what part of the valving should be altered to improve that.

I normally just run all the clickers in the sport settings.

For an experiment, I backed out the fork comp clickers (about 30 clicks) and noted the changes.

Also backed out the rebound to around 24 clicks out

Bike felt very unstable and only minor , if any, improvement to harshness.

Does this point to the some valving changes needed, and if so, what ?

We have a fair bit of sand over here too so I don't want to sacrifice stability in sand for compliance over rocks, if that's possible.

200h?! You mean 20...? Have you changed fork oil? Shall be done pretty soon after break in.

OC fork are more compliant then CC at least for the small chumpy stuff. Had them standard (with stronger springs) and revalved on my 500 2012 EXC. You to air the forks before/after (when fork is cold) every ride having the bike on a stand?

You can drop the rear over 115 to take some pressure of the fork, 117-118 should give you a bit more comfortable ride.

Other then that i dont think a revalve will help a lot. WP is famous for their lack of plushness. You can go very quick and stable with a WP fork, but it will never be plush :)

200h?! You mean 20...? Have you changed fork oil? Shall be done pretty soon after break in.

OC fork are more compliant then CC at least for the small chumpy stuff. Had them standard (with stronger springs) and revalved on my 500 2012 EXC. You to air the forks before/after (when fork is cold) every ride having the bike on a stand?

You can drop the rear over 115 to take some pressure of the fork, 117-118 should give you a bit more comfortable ride.

Other then that i dont think a revalve will help a lot. WP is famous for their lack of plushness. You can go very quick and stable with a WP fork, but it will never be plush :)

Nope, 200+ hrs ~10,000km. I have plenty of time to ride.

Yep, I frequently bleed the forks before and during rides.

Agree its due/overdue for new fork oil. I have to import some......

Not sure about adding more rider sag to the rear. Wouldn't the shock riding lower in the stroke make it harsher ?

Fork oil lasts 50 hours max

You can easily service the forks with a little mechanical aptitude, patience and some ad hoc tools. Even shuffle the shims around a bit. There's nothing special going on in there!

it normally makes the bike more comfortable with more SAG, but it might turn a bit less.

Service your fork. Replace all the bushings and seals. Don't attempt to adjust valving until your fork is working properly.